GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hail and well met!,

Looks like in the near future 6 month to a year (maybe sooner maybe later) the Buttons conglomerate maybe moving out of state which would put me, Mr.Buttons an 1 hours drive away from work.
With that happening I'm going to need a new to me ride. I have been seriously considering a 1st gen Chevy Volt for to and from work duties and wanted to know what you guys felt about the Volt.
Pros and Cons, your experience(s) with them (repairs,longevity so on and so forth).

Any insight into the 1st gen Volt would be greatly greatly appreciated!.

·
Registered
21,996 Posts
Hail and well met!,

Looks like in the near future 6 month to a year (maybe sooner maybe later) the Buttons conglomerate maybe moving out of state which would put me, Mr.Buttons an 1 hours drive away from work.
With that happening I'm going to need a new to me ride. I have been seriously considering a 1st gen Chevy Volt for to and from work duties and wanted to know what you guys felt about the Volt.
Pros and Cons, your experience(s) with them (repairs, longevity so on and so forth).

Any insight into the 1st gen Volt would be greatly greatly appreciated!.
Should be OK, but not great..............

My power steering was getting a little wonky at the end (rack-related). - 37 months old <25K miles
Heat sucks in the winter, as well as sucking the battery; headlights, wipers, defroster, heat, heated-seat.
"Mileage Tires" are not good in snow, so you'd have to do something about that.

I'm not sure how far you'd be driving, but guessing 50-70 one-way, a Cruze would be more economical, unless you could charge on "high" (13amps) at work for free, then you could probably get 25 miles or so recharged for your way home everyday, and with that, you'd be getting home "empty" and probably not have enough time to get a full-charge by the time you left for work the next day. Full-charge from the low (safe) setting is about 14 hours.

We had ours 3 winters, first winter it was a "4th car" so I stored it for 4 months. Winters two and three, it was a 3rd car, and we only drove it on seasonably mild days, occasionally on cold, but dry day.

• Love
Reactions: Mr.Buttons

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
14,487 Posts
Should be OK, but not great..............

My power steering was getting a little wonky at the end (rack-related). - 37 months old <25K miles
Heat sucks in the winter, as well as sucking the battery; headlights, wipers, defroster, heat, heated-seat.
"Mileage Tires" are not good in snow, so you'd have to do something about that.

I'm not sure how far you'd be driving, but guessing 50-70 one-way, a Cruze would be more economical, unless you could charge on "high" (13amps) at work for free, then you could probably get 25 miles or so recharged for your way home everyday, and with that, you'd be getting home "empty" and probably not have enough time to get a full-charge by the time you left for work the next day. Full-charge from the low (safe) setting is about 14 hours.

We had ours 3 winters, first winter it was a "4th car" so I stored it for 4 months. Winters two and three, it was a 3rd car, and we only drove it on seasonably mild days, occasionally on cold, but dry day.
Plug it in right when one gets home I guess;), and if there are errands take something else. Question, do the second better looking versions fare any better?

·
Registered
21,996 Posts
Plug it in right when one gets home I guess;), and if there are errands take something else. Question, do the second better looking versions fare any better?
Assuming 9 hour workday plus an hour on each end; depart 7:00am arrive home at 6:00pm that is 13 hours, it takes longer than that (on the low setting) I occasionally used the faster-charge setting, but not after it lit-up the wires in the wall, without tripping the breaker until there was a melted plug and burn/smolder marks up the wall.

·
Registered
20,662 Posts
Per Ed's comment, what about a diesel Cruze? Not sure how many of them are out there though....

Good luck on your move... Hopefully that is an easy hour drive, unlike my one hour commute I used to have. That was one hour when I worked to midnight and no one was on the road. On a normal day it could be two hours each way.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!. My commute, should it happen will be approx 55mi one way (from the top tip of Delaware to Central South Jersey).

The Volt seemed like a logical choice,but I had started to look at 1st gen Cruzeses (or is it Cruzi) too,just in case if the Volt hype was just that and for what I need it is.

Looks like from what Ed is saying Cruze hunting is what I'll be doing.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Thanks guys!. My commute, should it happen will be approx 55mi one way (from the top tip of Delaware to Central South Jersey).

The Volt seemed like a logical choice,but I had started to look at 1st gen Cruzeses (or is it Cruzi) too,just in case if the Volt hype was just that and for what I need it is.

If I were in a commute situation myself I'd pony up for a Cruze diesel and especially since I get most of my fuel at Costco and they somewhat recently added diesel pumps to the mix there. :) BTW, it's Cruze's ;)

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bud!.....Cruze diesel eh? 🤔🧐...Does the diesel come in a fisrt gen wrapper?....I wonder how costly they are to repair if needed and part availability for that matter......I mean gas could come real easy....near free if I play my cards right......

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Thanks Bud!.....Cruze diesel eh? 🤔🧐...Does the diesel come in a fisrt gen wrapper?....I wonder how costly they are to repair if needed and part availability for that matter......I mean gas could come real easy....near free if I play my cards right......
Yes it does. That's the one I tend to like just because of the cabin area and getting in and out of them ;).

·
Registered
20,662 Posts

That sounds like a whole lotta traffic and explains why you are looking for a first gen, presumably to get a lower cost as you'll be putting an official crapload of miles on your car.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That sounds like a whole lotta traffic and explains why you are looking for a first gen, presumably to get a lower cost as you'll be putting an official crapload of miles on your car.
Yes Sir! Don't want to shell out alot of buckage for something I'm going to run the wheels off.

Traffic is nasty,but since I leave for work an hour before rush hour I am hoping the ride will be mostly idiot free.....Going home on the other hand,might cause me to have stroke...lol..on some days...time will tell.

·
Registered
20,662 Posts
Yes Sir! Don't want to shell out alot of buckage for something I'm going to run the wheels off.

Traffic is nasty,but since I leave for work an hour before rush hour I am hoping the ride will be mostly idiot free.....Going home on the other hand,might cause me to have stroke...lol..on some days...time will tell.
Hopefully leaving early works out better for you than it did for me (sort of worked), until two years ago I had a 45 mile commute each way. Wore me down.

Not sure what the roads are like on your soon to be commute, but I'd recommend staying away from low profile tires. I suspect you'll encounter a pothole or two - they do a number on low profile tires and it's a long commute to be hyper vigilant of potholes. Though I was amazed at my ability to remember where they were - but, there is always that new pothole.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Hopefully leaving early works out better for you than it did for me (sort of worked), until two years ago I had a 45 mile commute each way. Wore me down.

Not sure what the roads are like on your soon to be commute, but I'd recommend staying away from low profile tires. I suspect you'll encounter a pothole or two - they do a number on low profile tires and it's a long commute to be hyper vigilant of potholes. Though I was amazed at my ability to remember where they were - but, there is always that new pothole.
We have people out where I work that commute from north of here @50 miles from the next town north Cedar City to here every day. That would get old in a hurry even if it is all freeway IMO, and then comes winter and snow , oh yippee...

·
Registered
20,662 Posts
We have people out where I work that commute from north of here @50 miles from the next town north Cedar City to here every day. That would get old in a hurry even if it is all freeway IMO, and then comes winter and snow , oh yippee...
I didn't mind when it was 25 or so miles each way, the added 20 miles was a killer - really took a toll on me. I'd probably have been fine if there wasn't a ton of traffic and daily accidents - it wasn't a fun drive most of the time, leaving me wishing for self driving.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Admittedly, I haven't read all the intervening posts, so my post might be off point a bit.

We have a Gen II Volt. It's rated at 54 miles on electric only. At 70 MPH, you'd be rolling the dice to get that far ESPECIALLY if you need any heat. We charge on 240 VAC which I'd recommend since time then isn't an issue. Running the ICE, it gets about 42 MPG at freeway speeds. Did I mention heat in the winter? How thick is your coat?

As an alternative to a Diesel Cruze (which I think is a great idea, btw), I had an '11 Chevy Cruze Eco 6-spd manual. Adequate power and 42 MPG with every tank if driven like an old man. Great car!

An hour to work makes you a candidate for an autonomous driving vehicle. Check your email, text all you want, shave in the mirror, sleep, read a book, do push ups in the back. Just a thought.

·
Registered
On the hunt for Camaro 1SS 1LE…
3 Posts
My .02…the Volt shines if you can keep it in short trips and utilize the battery. We have only ran about 2-3 tanks of fuel in our 18 due to ICE maintenance.

Cruze oil burner seems like the consensus.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,683 Posts
I sold a Mk1 Cruze to the dealer a few months back! :( Got good bank for it. :)

Yes, it came in that wrapper and that is totally the way to go. Tips on it...
DO NOT buy an early one. It took 'em awhile to get the sensors sorted out. Buy a '15.
DO NOT buy a Mk 2. The only thing to get is the 2.0TD, accept no substitutes.
They neutered the Mk 2 In a stupid effort to get a 50mpg rating, It suxs as does the Diesel Nox.

I never had any trouble getting anything but it didn't break either.
Many people that don't know anything claim that maintenance is expensive. It's not.
The seats in the Diesel (the top Cruze trim) are much better than the seats in the cheapie Cruzes.
It's quiet too. They pile the sound deadening on these things.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
in Canada the Diesel Cruze / 'NOX are fairly popular as are ALL DIESELS
I have heard of ZERO issues with them beyond the "normal" NOx conversion issues - a common DIESEL issue also believe the first year cars are worse then the later models
the Cruze holds up to Canadian roads / winters well so will do fine on US hiways as they are MUCH BETTER then most in Canada
also HIGHLY recommended is to "down size" the low profile wheel/tire to a less low profile for winter usage - better ride and longer tire/wheel life

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,683 Posts
also HIGHLY recommended is to "down size" the low profile wheel/tire to a less low profile for winter usage - better ride and longer tire/wheel life
I thought the ride quality was quite good with the std. wheels.
What I do recommend is Vercelli Strada II's as a replacement. $71 at Simple Tire and they are good.
After impressing on the Cruze, I got a set for the XTS. Good there, too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.