GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ingersoll, Ontario (February 20, 2004) - The first 2005 Chevy Equinox compact sport utility vehicle rolled off the assembly line today at the CAMI assembly plant in Ingersoll, Ontario. Engineered and assembled in Canada, the Equinox is intended to set benchmarks in quality and innovation for the compact SUV segment.

Michael Grimaldi, President, General Motors of Canada Limited said, "With the recent rebirth at Chevrolet, and it's first crossover SUV, the Equinox is symbolic of good things that are happening at Chevrolet. This new Equinox is going to hit a real sweet spot in the Canadian market with the right fit, the right form, the right functions, and the right price."

"With the strength of Chevrolet, GM Canada's Regional Engineering Centre leading the vehicle engineering, and the highly regarded manufacturing capability of the CAMI assembly plant and its CAW members, the all-new Equinox is destined for success."

Canadian Auto Workers president, Buzz Hargrove said, "With the commitment and skills from the CAW members and CAMI workforce, the CAMI assembly plant will compete well with excellence and quality in manufacturing. The Equinox demonstrates what working together to build a high quality vehicle can achieve."

"Product investments like the Equinox are significant for the continued growth and success of Ontario," said Joseph Cordiano, Minister of Economic Development and Trade. "The automotive industry is a strategic sector for Ontario and we will continue to work in partnership and cooperation with General Motors and the automotive industry to strengthen Ontario's economic prosperity."

The 2005 Equinox redefines the compact sport utility vehicle (SUV) market with fresh styling inside and out and a spacious, flexible interior. Equinox is the perfect balance of style, comfort and SUV capabilities, and a new alternative to today's look-alike compact SUVs.

Headquartered in Oshawa Ontario, General Motors of Canada employs 22,000 people nationwide. GM of Canada manufactures a variety of vehicles, engines, transmissions and other components, and markets the full range of General Motors' vehicles and related services through over 795 dealerships and retailers across Canada. Vehicles sold through this network include Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn and Saab.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Engineered and assembled in Canada, the Equinox is intended to set benchmarks in quality and innovation for the compact SUV segment.
I wonder if the old-gen 3.4L sourced from China was engineered in Canada. ;) (or did they change that? I can't recall)

·
Registered
922 Posts
That must mean the Tracker has been out of production, so take that one off your list of vehicals that GM and the Pesky UAW shouldnt be making... Ming.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
This new-fangled Equinox appears to be a great vehicle, and I was amazed at how nice (exterior, interior) it was in person when I saw it at the local auto show. And the price is right. Hmmm, does Chevy have another winner on its hands? Methinks that it does.

Again, invest a little cash and effort into building an attractive, affordable, high quality vehicle, and it'll sell. My but the folks at GM are turning into geniuses!

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I saw the NOX up close at the Toronto show last week. It was attracting a lot of people, always a crowd around it. Should sell well though the cargo area is not very big because of the tray supports.

I have also seen a pre production NOX driving around my neighborhood a couple of times. I live about an hour from the plant so it's likely a test vehicle. Looked very sharp!!

·
Super Moderator
10,867 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 20 2004, 11:48 PM
Engineered and assembled in Canada, the Equinox is intended to set benchmarks in quality and innovation for the compact SUV segment.
I wonder if the old-gen 3.4L sourced from China was engineered in Canada. ;) (or did they change that? I can't recall)
This makes no sense to me. Why would GM use the older OHV 3.4L V6 engine w/185 hp in the Equinox when it just debuted a newly updated and larger OHV 3.5L V6 engine w/200hp in the Malibu? Since the Equinox's main competition will be the the Escape, and it has an OHC 3L V6 with 200hp, wouldn't the use of the new 3.5L have made sense when customers cross shop the competition? This is by far the biggest complaint I have of the Equinox (with the exception of the ugly steering wheel it shares with the Malibu -- I HATE THAT STEERING WHEEL). But when you look at some of the engine choices GM has recently made, you have to wonder what they were thinking. For example, the new LaCrosse uses the new DOHC 3.6L VVT-V6 engine in the CXL and CXS models. Great move, Buick is trying to move more upscale, and this is a great engine. But why would they still use the old OHV 3800 V6 in the base model (but in Series III trim), instead of a newer OHC V6 engine? Makes no sense to me. At the very least, GM should have used the same OHC 3L V6 with 200hp as mentioned above. The engine is smaller, lighter, more fuel efficent, and is newly updated. Why wouldn't they simply use the newer, better engine? Doesn't this make better sense when you are trying to relaunch a brand like Buick?

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
The first 2005 Chevy Equinox compact sport utility vehicle rolled off the assembly line today at the CAMI assembly plant in Ingersoll, Ontario. Engineered and assembled in Canada, the Equinox is intended to set benchmarks in quality and innovation for the compact SUV segment.

just a carry over from another thread..... but could someone remind me, isn't Canada a foreign country?? just curious. HA!! just having fun guys. :argue:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Originally posted by nadepalma+Feb 21 2004, 07:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nadepalma @ Feb 21 2004, 07:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ming@Feb 20 2004, 11:48 PM
This makes no sense to me. Why would GM use the older OHV 3.4L V6 engine w/185 hp in the Equinox when it just debuted a newly updated and larger OHV 3.5L V6 engine w/200hp in the Malibu? Since the Equinox's main competition will be the the Escape, and it has an OHC 3L V6 with 200hp, wouldn't the use of the new 3.5L have made sense when customers cross shop the competition? [/b][/quote]
Think Equinox SS for a more powerful engine.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by LGRpup@Feb 21 2004, 05:12 AM
That must mean the Tracker has been out of production, so take that one off your list of vehicals that GM and the Pesky UAW shouldnt be making... Ming.
hmmm... if there are any unsold trackers sitting around (and there's a good chance of that!), they should replace the grille with a 7-slotted jobby and add some huge wheels, a bush-bar and skid plates... TADA! hummer H4!

(i actually like the tracker... forgive me...)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Engine choice simply a cost based decision on the Generals part. Future models (SS) will improve power situation.

Equinox sure did grab it's share of attention at Toronto last week, and positive reaction far outweighed negative reaction, Chevy definately has a winner.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
just checked out the equinox on gm's canadian site. what a slick little unit! wish i was buying a new vehicle... it'd be equinox. or canyon. or malibu maxx. or vue. damn... glad i don't have to buy a new vehicle... i'd never be able to decide! i pity all those people who have to make up their minds ;)

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by mrfunji+Feb 22 2004, 10:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrfunji @ Feb 22 2004, 10:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2004, 07:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Ming
@Feb 20 2004, 11:48 PM

This makes no sense to me. Why would GM use the older OHV 3.4L V6 engine w/185 hp in the Equinox when it just debuted a newly updated and larger OHV 3.5L V6 engine w/200hp in the Malibu? Since the Equinox's main competition will be the the Escape, and it has an OHC 3L V6 with 200hp, wouldn't the use of the new 3.5L have made sense when customers cross shop the competition?
Think Equinox SS for a more powerful engine. [/b][/quote]
What kinda power? ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts