GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I went to start my dads malibu since my car is in the body shop, and the car wouldnt turn over. i pulled the key out and the theft system light was flashing. I waited about 5-10 min. i tried started it and it started up. this is the second time its done it. the first time was a couple months ago. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
My grandfather used to have the same problem on his Malibu...nobody could find anything wrong though. Happened about every 4 months or so on a 97 Malibu.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the ignition cylinder housing is failing to read the "magnet" of the lock cylinder itself...it will require replacement. A new cylinder will have to be coded to the key and/or key code and then initialized with a TECH 2 scan tool....which is a dealer (or possibly some non-GM outlets have one too, my fleet company happened to have one of their own)...it is most likely that it is coincidental because the car was at the bodyshop...this same issue occured to a former company car I once had a few years ago (1997 Olds Cutlass, same car as the Malibu)
is that a fairly inexpensive fix or will this be a expensive fix?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi: i have an appointment to get this theft system fixed next week.
any new news on just disabling the theft system?
or is disabling it out of the question?

thanks.

first the intake manifold problem.
now this.
and so it goes with GM cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts