GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue with my 1996 Buick Regal running sluggish. I tried adding fuel injector cleaner and got a suggestion to replace my gas filter.

Is replacing the gas filter something I can do my self (preferrable)?
Can someone on this forum point me to where to look for the gas filter?

thanks in advance for your assistance.

Rick

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I'm not positive on the fuel filter location, just going off my general knowledge of GM vehicles... Find the fuel lines going from the tank to the engine, they should be located underneath the car towards the outside edge on the driverside. There are two fuel lines together, one bigger which is the supply and one smaller which is the return. The fuel filter will be in the supply line, probably underneath the gas pedal area but it could also be in front of the rear wheel. It will look like a small can in the line. The filter will be bolted to the car with a strap. Unbolt it and then disconnect the fuel lines. I'm guessing the fuel line is just snapped on to the filter, though it could be screwed on. Have a pan ready because some gas will pour out when you take off the filter. Do not bugger up the fuel lines because then you will be SOL.

This is not too hard to do, but you may want to have someone do it if you are not mechanically inclined.

I would also suggest to change the plugs, wires and air filter. Thus you would be giving the car a complete tune up.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by T-Type@Jul 9 2004, 08:03 PM
This is not too hard to do, but you may want to have someone do it if you are not mechanically inclined.
quick tip: wear safety glasses and keep your mouth shut! i went to change my fuel filter once (ford tempo) and wasn't being careful. i musta loosened the pressurised end first, because gas came splashing out all over my face. it was a bonehead move... so be careful! if everything is tight and won't come free easily it's tempting to start reefing and forget that once it's loose it's gonna spray.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts