GM Inside News Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Oldsmobile Bravada and a year ago it would not start for anything. We checked the fuel pressure and concluded that it was the fuel pump. I replaced the pump, and it ran fine untill about 3 weeks ago when it again would not start. This time I had it towed to a dealer in the area and had it inspected by them and they said the pump was bad. So once again I replaced the pump and it ran fine untill tonight when I went to start it, it would not start. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything else besides the pump that might be bad that could cause the pump to quit so soon?

·
Registered
103 Posts
We had an Asto (also had a 4.3) and our pump went out like 4 times but we had the warranty on it so we got it replaced free each time...

dont know why it kept going out it sucked though sorry about your luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today I went out to look at my bravada to try and figure out why it wouldn't start and when I tryed to start it, it started. It turned maybe 2 cranks more than usuall, but it did start and ran fine when I ran some arrends with it. I also turned the engine off when I got to where I was going, and it started back up just fine and again ran fine. I am thinking that maybe the fuel filter may need replaced. I did replace it last year when I replaced the fuel pump, but I haven't yet this time.

I am also wondering about the electrical system. I have a speaker box setup in my vehicle with a capacitor hooked to the amp. I am wondering if maybe the capacitor could be back feeding into the electrical system for the computer, etc, and may be the cause of some of these problems. If anyone can give me any input on these capacitors and if it is possible to back feed into the electrical system and cause problems.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's the ignition switch. I had a Bravada that had the same problem. They fixed this and that, this and that. Finally the last time it happened I called up the dealership and pitched a fit on the owner. Within minutes a flatbed was driving away with that pile of fecal matter.

I subscribed to alldata and found out there was a TSB out on the problem. Proceeded to print it out and dropped it off on the service writers counter. It was fixed and then I sold it. What a pile of crap those blazers and bravadas are. From fuel pumps to ignition switches it really was a never ending battle with that truck.

It's just so very unfortunate dealerships don't make their employees look for TSB's first before they go randomly replacing expensive parts. Kinda like reading the instructions first or asking for directions when your lost.

This is the reason you want products perfect from day one when they leave the factory. Because if it's broken you're very unlikely to get it fixed without a whole lot of stress.

A suggestion for you and anyone else who own's a car or truck. Subscribe for $25 to alldata's TSB service, seriously...
It's paid for itself for me many times over.

Happy to help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depends on what engine...

The Vortec had some issues...

The fuel line popets can get sticky. Cause a no start.

You must have the exact correct fuel pump installed. I think its 52 psi. 3-4 psi off and it will be a no start.

Leaking fuel pressure regulators.....no start. The good news is you can see this issue if you remove the diverter valve dead center about the CPI unit. If you see 'clean' areas inside...its leaking.

There is a company that has rebuilt units. About 1/2 the price of a unit from GM.

Linder Tech

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.