GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
Thanks for posting this, EJD1984!

This brings back great memories of driving this land yacht during summer recess from college and graduate/professional school. Naturally, I preferred the STS from that time period, but I actually found myself grinning stupidly whenever I drove this car. It was E-NORMOUS! You could cram tons of crap in it, or college-aged people! We all had a blast in it! I absolutely loved blaring the horn as I pulled up to my mom's house (she didn't get it). Geeze, even watching this video brought a smile to my face!

A few highlights from the video:

"0 to 60 in a brisk 10.5 seconds."

"SS Fleetwood."

The sound of that horn at the close of the video. Just plain awesome; the sound totally fit the car.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
GM chairman at the time Bob Stempel and president at the time Lloyd Reuss were committed to FWD and opposed the updated early 90's RWD B/C bodies, so I wonder why GM did this project at all. Giving these cars the 260 hp 5.7L in 1994 is what made them great.
I don't think the bulbous styling of the early '90s B and C bodies was especially well executed. It's not hard to imagine what an updated version might look like.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I don't think the bulbous styling of the early '90s B and C bodies was especially well executed. It's not hard to imagine what an updated version might look like.
Yea I never was a fan of the 90s Caprice, out of them though I do think the Roadmaster sedan pulled it off best IMO. Probably because it used the most traditional styling.

·
Registered
17 Camaro, 18 F150 Sport 3.5, 07 Town Car, 06 Explorer V8 Eddie Bauer
498 Posts
I do think the Roadmaster sedan pulled it off best IMO. Probably because it used the most traditional styling.
my neighbor's son just got a roadmaster. I can't believe the kids realize how cool they are.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
GM chairman at the time Bob Stempel and president at the time Lloyd Reuss were committed to FWD and opposed the updated early 90's RWD B/C bodies, so I wonder why GM did this project at all. Giving these cars the 260 hp 5.7L in 1994 is what made them great.
The Demand for SUV's and Arlington Plant's Production Capacity is what killed the B Chassis

·
Registered
751 Posts
This is just a guess, but maybe because the prior generation was 25 years old and was well overdue for an update.
The FWD H body was the B body replacement. I don't know why GM didn't replace the RWD B body Caprice with a FWD H body Caprice the way it did for Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Buick, especially when Chairman Stempel and President Reuss were large FWD proponents. One problem GM had at the time is that it kept old platforms around long after the replacement were developed. (G body survived after FWD A debuted, FWD A survived after W debuted, B body survived after H body debuted.)

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Arguably in the case of Caprice, GM wanted to keep some presence in the RWD market, especially with respect to fleet customers such as law enforcement. Of course, that doesn't explain the absence of an H body (I'll call it Caprice here, but in practice, they likely would have needed a different name to differentiate it) in concurrent production with the RWD B body. The FWD A in particular was kept around entirely too long, especially in Buick form and was never meaningfully updated its entire reign of production.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
my neighbor's son just got a roadmaster. I can't believe the kids realize how cool they are.
The tendency may as old as time and every generation has to re learn it. Growing up in the late 70's, we wanted nothing to do with current offerings, except for the T/A, given what was out through '72, at least for car people.
Music that we grew up with as well is much more popular than we think among the youth as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts