GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A dealer around here is selling one for $4,000. It doesn't have any of the good stuff, but it's only got 80k miles. So what do you think, is it worth it? I don't know much about these older Firebirds.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
They were "peppy" enough for it's time but passing at today's highway speeds were ??????

They were "sturdy" enough , the only shortfalls being a possible VATS ignition lock failure, which is minor...also the engine sensoring was a little fussy on those, especially the mass air flow sensors...

Weatherstripping also tore out easily on those....I can't recall much more...

Oh, headlamp motors possibly...IMO, for 4 bills, it better be corrosion free...

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I don't know? Can you repeat the question, Your not the boss of me now!

ahha sorry, i got distracted...

The 3.1L is a solid motor(aside from the intake manifold gaskets) but I wouldn't expect any crazy performance out of it. Atleast you could beat up on the local "fart can" Honda Civics.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I don't know? Can you repeat the question, Your not the boss of me now!

ahha sorry, i got distracted...

The 3.1L is a solid motor(aside from the intake manifold gaskets) but I wouldn't expect any crazy performance out of it. Atleast you could beat up on the local "fart can" Honda Civics.

Those 3.1's the the Firebird did have intake leaks, not at all like the later FWD versions (E, J & M codes) mostly due to the end seals (which were RTV) shrinking away...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i have a 91 firebird that came with the 3.1, and it was a sturdy little powerplant. the only beef it gave me was when it got cold out during winter (december) it would die, and not start again till you cleaned the plugs (number 1 is a b*tch to get to) and it had been nice out for awhile (april). every winter it did this. then after i got it started, one year the oil mysteriously dissapeared and i (stupidly) didn't check the oil level and threw a rod bearing out of it. i just drove it till it shot out of the side of the block and then put a 5.7 in it.

I love my firebird. It's my first car, and I can never ever let it go. one day after school and i have my own garage i'm gonna tear her down and give her the restoration she deserves.

you'll love it, i know i have a horrible obsession with mine =)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
^ oh, and that block that went bad had almost 200k miles on it. indestructable as long as it sleeps all winter and you keep oil in it. =)

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The more I think about it, the more I want this car. It's nothing I can put my finger on. It just has a sort of allure to it.

I'm not good at haggling though, which is scary. I'm the type of person where they could say "I'll give it to you for sticker" and I'll be like "[email protected]#!".

·
Registered
28 Posts
That was the first car I ever had. I wouldn't recommend it, engine has several quality concerns and it's pretty much a trailer park car.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
are they really worth 4k?
Check out the Kelly Blue Book value......if it's close to, or above $4K (which I wouldn't think so.......), there's no haggling room..........however if there's a noticeable gap, the KBB amt. would give you a good idea of how much you could try and knock off their price.....

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well KBB says $3k. Do you think I can get it for as low as 2.5? The dealer is gloating about how it's 1 owner, so I have a feeling he's really going to try to get top dollar.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Well KBB says $3k. Do you think I can get it for as low as 2.5? The dealer is gloating about how it's 1 owner, so I have a feeling he's really going to try to get top dollar.
If it's going for $4K and the KBB says $3K......I'd start at maybe 2.6 or 2.7 and move up from there in $100 increments......if the salesman doesn't budge much.....I'd make those increments two or even three hundred.....until he grudgingly agrees

His claims of it being a 1-owner car + low mileage are going to make it kinda tough though.......I'd still give it a shot! :)

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Yes it's a one owner and low-mileage... but it's still a 3.1L 1990 Firebird! I love it... I'd buy one in a second... but it's not a collectors car by any means. Hope you get it though... I know nothing about that engine, but I always loved our '86 Trans Am.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Yes it's a one owner and low-mileage... but it's still a 3.1L 1990 Firebird! I love it... I'd buy one in a second... but it's not a collectors car by any means. Hope you get it though... I know nothing about that engine, but I always loved our '86 Trans Am.
The "Generation II" 3.1L V6 was used in a variety of GM models from 1988-06 including the Pontiac 6000 & Buick Century :cool:

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Who cares what the dealer guys says or tries, find out what he paid for it. Guarantee if you paid 1500 he would still show profit! He may brag about how it iw one owner low miles to make it sound great, but when it was traded in, I am certain they tried to down play it and paid minimal. Horrible game.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Who cares what the dealer guys says or tries, find out what he paid for it. Guarantee if you paid 1500 he would still show profit! He may brag about how it iw one owner low miles to make it sound great, but when it was traded in, I am certain they tried to down play it and paid minimal. Horrible game.

Likely!!!

Don't be so anxious when buying...I've made that mistake in the past...

Look for others if that's something you want...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...&awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Likely!!!

Don't be so anxious when buying...I've made that mistake in the past...

Look for others if that's something you want...
yes!
On a side note, all my friends lately have become fascinated w/ cheap cars. One bought a $1,000 1990 Sub Legacy 16v wagon 5sp, low LOW miles, and another bud bought a 1989 Sub Loyale Turbo wagon for 300 bucks, 114k miles. Guys, I might be next w/ a Subaru!! I need a commuter!!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I had a 91 about 10 years ago with the 3.1 in it. By no means a rocket but adequate nonetheless. It looks decent but if you are really interestred in a 3rd gen bird I would at least get one with t-tops--it makes a world of difference. Also I believe the 91 and 92 birds had some enhancements other then the new nose. I think they were structural enhancements so you may want to consider thoe years instead.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts