GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get a 1988 Cadillac Deville for about $2000, CND. It has about 160 000 KM, very clean, no or little rust, the interior is mint.

So my question is, is it a reliable car? what should I look at to see if it would have problems. and and what are the engine sizes and hp.

Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
The 1988 Cadillac Sedan DeVille would have a 4.5 litre V8. I believe that the hp figures are around 145hp, not much, but since the engine is OHV, there is a good ammount of torque at low RPM's.

Look out for engine damage and possible overheating, these suckers have all aluminum engines, and they've overheated, they usually are toast.

Look for typical FWD issues too....cv's etc, the transmission is one of GM's earlier 4 speed automatics, it's a transaxle, not bad..but they improved in later models.

As with most Cadillacs, there are a large variety of power options and gadgets, make sure that they are all working well, particulary the Fuel Economy/gas gauge unit and Auto-climate control units to the left and right of steering wheel.

The good thing is that these Cadillacs are plentyfull any many parts are still available through the dealerships and junkyards.

They are smooth cruisers....nice ride, but easier to park than their larger predecesors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts