GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread, I thought about what if GM kept it going. It would have most deffinatly been the "442" to the Grand Prix. It would use the 2+2 grill that was on the aero back GP's, but have the hood scoops, and a 350 TPI with 4spd auto into a 8.5, 3.42 gear. Dual exhaust too. So, I thought about finding some shots of the grand prix's of old, and I like the 2+2 look of the front of the certain GP's. The standard GP's look like crap, and didnt inspire much. This car COULD have been a sweet car... but it was never built. Well, I got to work on making this GTO. The picture was the best picture that wasnt black and white. I am sorry for the grid like looking thing that covers the picture... but its the best I could do. So, GMI, here is the 1986 Pontiac GTO that never made it..

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I would get this one over the holden in a second!
what a shame not to buid it...

so this pic is doctored, or it really existed one concept?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
hmmmm... i know that pic is chopped, but i do recall seeing a pontiac'd monte carlo from that era. it had a similar nose to the one you put on, but instead of the rear window and trunk there was a hatchback (like the trans am). i'm sure it had pontiac badges. anyone know what i'm talking about? was this a homemade job or did it ever exist? i'm canadian, BTW, so perhaps it was just up here.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
hmmm... i think that mighta been it. i thought it had a glass hatch that went all the way to the back, but now that i see that i think perhaps it was the aerocoupe i saw. but i know it had pontiac badges... so i think perhaps someone stuck them on himself. thanks rex! i wouldn'ta been able to sleep tonight! :)

(i looked at the pic again... that's it for sure!)

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Mar 9 2004, 08:00 AM
hmmmm... i know that pic is chopped, but i do recall seeing a pontiac'd monte carlo from that era. it had a similar nose to the one you put on, but instead of the rear window and trunk there was a hatchback (like the trans am). i'm sure it had pontiac badges. anyone know what i'm talking about? was this a homemade job or did it ever exist? i'm canadian, BTW, so perhaps it was just up here.
It wasn't a hatchback...it was a fastback. It had a trunklid, albeit a very small one. It was called the Pontiac 2+2 and is the car pictured above. Both it and the Monte Carlo Aerocoupe were built for NASCAR homologation.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson+Mar 9 2004, 02:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hudson @ Mar 9 2004, 02:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-paul8488@Mar 9 2004, 08:00 AM
It wasn't a hatchback...it was a fastback. It had a trunklid, albeit a very small one. It was called the Pontiac 2+2 and is the car pictured above. Both it and the Monte Carlo Aerocoupe were built for NASCAR homologation. [/b][/quote]
ah thanks man! didn't think i'd made it up. there can't have been many pontiac versions sold though... i've only ever seen one!

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
ahhhh! that's it for sure! now that looks different than that monte carlo aero. this grand prix surely has a hatchback... not a fastback. that's what it looks like to me, anyways... there's no way that little bit of a trunk opens! some kinda rare grand prix though! guess that's as close to an '80's GTO as you can get! thanks again rex! do i gotta pay you for this?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Mar 9 2004, 03:12 PM
I added a second picture. It shows how the trunk opens.
I can e-mail you my paypal account number for payment.
ah thanks rex! you were right hudson... it DOES have a trunk, not a hatchback. form over function there... but you don't buy a pontiac grand prix 2+2 for the trunk space, do you? i mean did you? okay, i can get back to work now.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I remember the Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2's being made (modified from standard GP's) at a small shop in Ortonville, MI. I used to pass by there on my way to work in 1986.

The trunk lid on the Monte Carlo Aerocoupe was pretty pathetic, but this thing is a mail slot.

I have a Car and Driver road test comparing this to the MC. The 2+2's only had the LG4 305 with 150 hp. That's likely what a GTO would have had at the time.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
So now instead of the 350 hp GTO we have now. We'd all B clammoring 4 a rebadged Monte Carlo minus the dopey styling?!?!?! :blink: ...that's what everyone wants..... :lol: .And 2 make matters worse every1 would still B telling U it looks like a Grand Prix :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , 2 funny.
Oh this has made my day!

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
That GP aero-coupe was for the Canadian market only, if memory serves.

I'm actually quite happy this was never called a GTO. It was a GP with a sloped back and some extra bodywork. Mostly form. But GTO has always been about functional extras, especially enhancements under the hood. Throwing a couple hood scoops on it and calling it a GTO would be like doing the same to today's GP. No thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ahahaha wow, at 3 am est this had zero responses... at 1pm, its 2 pages....

Any, yes this is the 1986 Pontiac Grand Prix which was made on teh Gbody just like the Regal, and Monte.
This is just a concept. It uses the 2+2 front end that looks a lot more sportier then the standard grand prix front.
And performance comes from a corvette L98 5.7 350ci V8 with 250hp. I did put the motor and drivetrain into my discription Desmo, you should try reading it sometime. :rolleyes: it has more then the standard LG4. This was just for if GM kept making the GTO, and had it as a performance option to the Grand Prix. Just like the 442 model was to the Cutlass for the Gbodies.

They did make the Aeroback grand prix just like the monte. And it wasnt a hatch, it was made up of 3 different pieces of glass If im not mistaken, where the Fbodies hatch is a solid piece of glass. It is not a real car. Im not that good at photoshop.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Under the hood is a 250hp Corvette L98 5.7 liter V8 with aluminum heads, high flow exhaust manifolds, dual exhaust. Backed by GM's 700R4 4spd auto trans and the 10 bolt 8.5 inch rear end packed with a posi traction unit with 3.42 gears. Dual hood scoops and 15x8 rims sporting 245 wide tires. Lower ride hight, tighter suspension and quick ratio steering box.
Your 1986 Pontiac GTO
thats a discription I had on another site.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Mar 9 2004, 06:28 PM

And performance comes from a corvette L98 5.7 350ci V8 with 250hp. I did put the motor and drivetrain into my discription Desmo, you should try reading it sometime
You know, on the current GTO thread, you had the following to say...

"The GTO wont have 400hp, as that would ruin the Vette is king attitude." ... and " I hope that teh GTO doesnt get all done up like some 90's pontiac with scoops and vents."

Yet in 1986 it would have been OK to give the GTO Vette-levels of power (after all, the Vette had the same L98, 245-250hp 350cid V8 in '86), and in 1986 the proposed GTO was all slicked up with scoops and vents.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by desmo9@Mar 9 2004, 12:22 PM
That GP aero-coupe was for the Canadian market only, if memory serves.

I'm actually quite happy this was never called a GTO. It was a GP with a sloped back and some extra bodywork. Mostly form. But GTO has always been about functional extras, especially enhancements under the hood. Throwing a couple hood scoops on it and calling it a GTO would be like doing the same to today's GP. No thanks.
The Pontiac 2+2 (the fastback Grand Prix) was officially sold in the United States.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts