Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor Trend August 1986 Comparison Test

Automobile Mag May 1988, Pontiac 6000 STE AWD

·
Registered
11,951 Posts
A lowly A-body versus a 5 series BMW...anyone else see a problem here? Where's the Century versus Lexus ES review? :rolleyes:

(not dissin you Baja I love your MW and magazine uploads, but was the STE really supposed to go up against vehicles like these?)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Unfortunately, since that article, the reference to the ". . . for those who must buy American," segment has dwindled even more!

All around, there are senior citizens, who previously at that walk of life, would have been driving exclusively "made in the U.S.A." vehicles, rather than the Japanese, Korean and German vehicles they are choosing. It is unfortunate that GM has never stopped their abandonment, and now most of them don't even shop "the Big Three." :(

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Unfortunately, since that article, the reference to the ". . . for those who must buy American," segment has dwindled even more!

All around, there are senior citizens, who previously at that walk of life, would have been driving exclusively "made in the U.S.A." vehicles, rather than the Japanese, Korean and German vehicles they are choosing. It is unfortunate that GM has never stopped their abandonment, and now most of them don't even shop "the Big Three." :(

Its going to take a few more years of good products to get people to start looking at the Big 3 with fresh eyes.

·
Premium Member
23,308 Posts
A lowly A-body versus a 5 series BMW...anyone else see a problem here? Where's the Century versus Lexus ES review? :rolleyes:

(not dissin you Baja I love your MW and magazine uploads, but was the STE really supposed to go up against vehicles like these?)
I think that's the whole point! The 6000 STE appeares to have been able to hold its own in the company of BMW, Audi, and Acura! Pretty impressive! It's too bad AWD was dropped from the Pontiac lineup... they would already be in their proper niche right now if they had kept going down that path, and we wouldn't be talking about Pontiac trying to find a niche today!

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I don't think people had the perception issue back then!!

·
Registered
4,308 Posts

Well, a few years after this comparo, Oldsmobile was comparing the Eighty Eight LSS to the Legend and Lexus ES....

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, a few years after this comparo, Oldsmobile was comparing the Eighty Eight LSS to the Legend and Lexus ES....
Don't forget Acura! As seen on my vid...

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Don't forget Acura! As seen on my vid...

;)
Though your vids were the reason I knew of the comparison in the first place :yup: :tup:: :worship:

I think the MT article say that the 6000STE had a 3-speed auto? I thought the STE had the 4-speed auto (with the option of 5-speed manual for some years). I went and checked the Standard Catalog of American Cars/Pontiac and it said the 3-speed was standard, 4-speed auto was available on 6000s w/ V6. :ponder:

·
Registered
12 Posts
In '89 I bought a 600 mile '88 6000 STE FWD with a 2.8/five-speed manual. Neat car but the toughest SOB I've ever driven to modulate the clutch/accelerator. Lots of jerky take-offs with that one; the original owner traded it because it was so hard to drive. Survived 140,000 miles of flogging though.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In '89 I bought a 600 mile '88 6000 STE FWD with a 2.8/five-speed manual. Neat car but the toughest SOB I've ever driven to modulate the clutch/accelerator. Lots of jerky take-offs with that one; the original owner traded it because it was so hard to drive. Survived 140,000 miles of flogging though.
manual? You must show pics.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I briefly owned a 1986 6000 STE with 359,000 miles. I got it from the original owner, and by the time I got it it had a blown piston ring... but before then it had never had a single major engine or transmission problem. Long story short, I bought it to fix because I thought it had a bad valve, then didn't find out it was actually a blown ring until I had rebuilt the whole top end... yeah, I'm an idiot.:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.