Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1433/

Originally Posted by http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1433/

18 Months Until Custom-Made, Oil-Pooping Bacteria
Written by Hank Green
Monday, 10 March 2008

Craig Venter has his own scientific institute. He led the private effort to sequence the human genome and was one of Time Magazine's 2007 most important people. And he's been building new life. He builds chromosomes from scratch, inserts the new chromosomes in bacteria, and then "boots up" the organisms.

The DNA he produces in his laboratory are the largest molecules ever created by people and he can individually determine what DNA to include and which to exclude. He can put in junk DNA that, when decoded, simply spells his own name, or is a poem. But, most importantly, he's working to build in code that can force the little bugs into becoming solar-powered crude oil factories.

The new organisms, which Venter says should be multiplying in the lab in the next 18 months, would need high concentrations of CO2 (say, from the smokestack of a coal plant) to convert it to oil at maximum efficiencies. He can alter the octane of the fuel by altering the genes of the organism and, by selecting the best of thousands of molecules, he can "unnaturally select" the most efficient oil producers.

They're calling it 4th generation biofuel, and you can expect that it will be only the first application of this fascinating and somewhat alarming new technology. You can hear Venter himself explain the possibilities of this new technology with Chris Anderson at the recent TED conference in the video above.

An interesting alternative to the algae.

·
Registered
226 Posts
There are so many people out there with so many new ideas, someone is bound to hit a home run. Hopefully soon.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Craig Venter sequenced the Human Genome. He did it in record time almost beating the official Government team. If he says it can be done it will be done in 18 months.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Wow! Imagine the possibilities. 100 years from now, we could be growing our own gasoline for free at home, by feeding our oil pooping bacteria pollution or CO2. Then everybody could afford to drive a V8, or V10, or V12...

·
Registered
586 Posts
That's the beauty of bio-fuels there are so many sorces for them as opposed to oil.

·
Banned
205 Posts
So where is our Government in this plan..............Boom Boom Cheney is in the Middle East cutting a deal ...............Congress gets free gas.............
Gas hit $3.29/gallon in Pittsburgh, PA area today.............where will it end and who cares!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Oil ****ting bacteria?? Hmmm interesting, very interesting.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Wait until Big Bacteria get ahold of this...

If he is successful, Venter better watch out for his life (Meaning has any money been traded between Exxon and the Mafia?).

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
With so many of these new techniques coming around for fuel production, it's a rather exciting time. I'm starting to believe there is a real potential here for us to move away from foreign fuel sources within a couple of decades, rather than a half century.

Whoever gets their production method up and running at full-scale first is going to make a lot of money...

·
Registered
845 Posts
As of Monday gas was $3.39 a gallon in Metro Detroit.

Which has brought me to the realization that, we desperately need the Delorean's Mr. Fusion fuel conversion system...

·
Premium Member
34,352 Posts
Brains over Religious Zealots.

Its really sad that before 600 AD Middle East was the most advanced center of learning and since then its completely colapsed as a center of Knowledge. Even Africa now has overtaken Middle East in terms of Reasearch and Learning.

If The Middle east had focused on reasearch, the west would not be dying to get out of this relationship, since after oil, and that is soon, what will they sell?

The thing is, at last, we are determined to kick this bad oil habit. My Joy is that we can probaly do it while still keeping our V8's

·
Premium Member
34,352 Posts
Wow! Imagine the possibilities. 100 years from now, we could be growing our own gasoline for free at home, by feeding our oil pooping bacteria pollution or CO2. Then everybody could afford to drive a V8, or V10, or V12...
I want a V16 Cadillac, he he he, perhaps when we colonize Mars, we can get V20 Cadillacs.. Man, I love Big bad engines

·
Premium Member
9,040 Posts
Which has brought me to the realization that, we desperately need the Delorean's Mr. Fusion fuel conversion system...
Watch Back to the Future 3 again. "Mr. Fusion powers the time circuits. But the internal combustion engine runs on ordinary gasoline. There won't be a gas station until the turn of the century."

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I read about this and it sounds great, when will I be able to go to a gas station and fill up on this?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts