1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Arright. I haven't read it yet, and I'm guessing #1 will be the 300ZX.

(read it)

Nice. I can't believe I forgot the Subaru XT coupe, which looked like it was inspired by all the electronics in the black Subaru wagon in Cannonball Run.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I liked the early C4 guages as well as the CRT units in GM's technocars (Rivera, Reatta, Toronado). What was cool about the digital guage craze at GM is that you could get digital guages on Cavaliers, Astros and S-Blazers all the way up to the Corvette, Fleetwood and Allante.

I miss digital guages.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
HAHAHA! :lmao: The Olds has a Tim Horton's "Roll Up The Rim to Win" cup in it! I'm drinking out of one right now! :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
I liked the early C4 guages as well as the CRT units in GM's technocars (Rivera, Reatta, Toronado). What was cool about the digital guage craze at GM is that you could get digital guages on Cavaliers, Astros and S-Blazers all the way up to the Corvette, Fleetwood and Allante.

I miss digital guages.
I agree too. I own two Oldsmobiles with digital gauges: a 1995 Oldsmobile 98 and a 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado. GM offers them on DTS but, it is included with the analog gauges. I think the STS has a small digital cluster on the dash too. The Deville was the last GM car that offered full on digital gauges. I know the Holdens use them. I saw it on Holden Caprice, Statesman and Commodore. I think it might be in Pontiac G8 too. They use them along with the analog gauges. That Holden coupe 60 concept has digital gauges. Lincoln Town Car and Mercury Grand Marquis use digital with analog too. Porsche has digital along with analog too. There are a few others...

I could have seen them in the Buicks too, but they have not used them since the Regal and Riviera in the 1990's. All the Cadillacs used to have them. Most of the Oldsmobiles did well into the 1990's, Pontiac used them a lot in the 1980's. The funny thing is.. out of GM's fullsized cars the Bonneville was the only one that never offered digital gauges ever. You could get the heads up display which is common in many cars now, but Bonneville always used analog gauges.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I at least want the clock out of that Daytona. I can't believe I didn't buy one of them when they were new because of that clock showing the day of the week. As one who travels quite a bit (100,000 miles + per year), I tend to get a bit out-of-sync with the regular space-time continuum. Of course, the 2010 version would be GPS-sourced and automatically change timezone based on location... Hmmm, sounds like a project for a PIC chip...

I checked eBay but I haven't found any of the those clock modules as yet. Can anyone else think of a standalone automotive clock module that's complete with the day-of-the-week?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
One of my favorites was the 1984-86 Camaro Berlinetta with the digital dash and separate pod for the cassette player. My dad had one in his used car inventory, and I remember even the turn signals being different; IIRC the stalk was affixed to the cowl around the gauges rather than the steering column.

Here's a pic:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
The Riviera... sweetest car ever.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
One of my favorites was the 1984-86 Camaro Berlinetta with the digital dash and separate pod for the cassette player. My dad had one in his used car inventory, and I remember even the turn signals being different; IIRC the stalk was affixed to the cowl around the gauges rather than the steering column.

Here's a pic:
Nah forget those. The regular needle gauges you got on those Camaros were even cooler. The needles were like "double-edged" and one side of the speedo read in miles and the other in kilometres as I recall. I forget how the tach worked but it was similar. That was neat.

I never figured out how those swivel pods with all the controls worked, I mean I wonder if you pressed the buttons would they push out of the way?

The early 1980's sure had a lot of freakish HMI experiments in cars. Now we have i-drive.

What is this "XT6TT"? That car was an XT Turbo, the 4-cylinder variant. And the Riviera went front-drive in like 1979 or something like that.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
The needles were like "double-edged" and one side of the speedo read in miles and the other in kilometres as I recall. I forget how the tach worked but it was similar. That was neat.

The tach was regular, 2500 RPM is the same in standard or metric. If you had a cheap Camaro, then you had a fuel gauge where the tach would be, and that was dual scale to, one side had gallons and the other side measured litres.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I dont know why they included the Lumina Police package, they did not even come out until half a decade after the 80's ended, 1995.

That space should have been replaced with the Allante, it had a rad digital display.

There was no mention of some of the early digital cars, like the 1980 Thunderbird/Cougar and the 1980 Lincoln Town Car/MarkVI and of course the first to venture into the digital black arts, 1978 Cadillac Seville with the TripMaster combination digital dash and trip computer.

They should have used a photo of he 1989 Toronado with the VIC, it still had the digital dash and the color CRT, the later ones are analog.

I also remember the first Mitsubishi Starions had an orange and yellow digital display that was pretty neat, again for 1984, I remember that it had a "turbo" gauge that looked like a little turbine that gave the illusion that was "turning" when the car was under boost. It also played music when the door was open with the key in the ignition, not a chime, but music.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts