GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
"The Hummer's and Jeeps did really good at their designed purpose, but we didnt rate that"

WTF was the criteria for this test? Comparing A Yaris and a Hummer in the same test? Did my grandmother write this article?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I was glad to see a couple of toyotas on there, especially the FJ. In a couple of tests, while travelling down washboard roads, its been reported the FJ's clamshell doors vibrated so badly they thought the doors were gonna fall off. 4wheeler/4wheel offroad.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Some of these vehicles such as the Jeep Wrangler, Hummer H3 and Toyota FJ Cruiser are penalized because their greatest strength, offroad ability, is not figured into CR's final score. Since ride quality typically suffers because, of the compromises made for offroading, it hurts their score even more, because that category, along with fuel economy is weighted quite heavily by CR.
It's kind of silly, isn't it. I thought this article was good for humor's sake.

·
Registered
535 Posts
So they scored the Jeep Wranger according to its on-road capabilities. So silly. It's an off-road vehicle first, and the buyers know it's an off-road vehicle. So what if most buyers don't take it off-road often? They still want something capable of serious off-roading, otherwise they wouldn't have bought it.

It's like comparing the Suburban's acceleration and handling characteristics to a Porsche Boxster. After all, a Suburban only contains one or two people most of the time, so it should be compared to a two-seater. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Reliability is not a factor? This is one of the worst articles ever.
This was a list of the 11 lowest scoring vehicles in Consumer Reports' on-road tests. So, off-road ability, reliability, and cost of ownership didn't count, and several of these vehicles excelled in one or more of those areas. Calling them the "Worst Cars" overall is somewhat unfair.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
"The Hummer's and Jeeps did really good at their designed purpose, but we didnt rate that"

WTF was the criteria for this test? Comparing A Yaris and a Hummer in the same test? Did my grandmother write this article?
They weren't compared in the same test. Consumer Reports assigns a score of 0 to 100 on all vehicles it tests. These were the vehicles that scored lowest overall over a period of time. When they print the magazine, they typically test them in groups of four or five similar vehicles (four midsized SUVs, four compact cars, whatever).

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,916 Posts
I was glad to see a couple of toyotas on there, especially the FJ. In a couple of tests, while travelling down washboard roads, its been reported the FJ's clamshell doors vibrated so badly they thought the doors were gonna fall off. 4wheeler/4wheel offroad.
It's also not suitable off-road, lest you want a 5-figure bill for a frame repair.
That makes it pretty much good for nothing.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
They weren't compared in the same test. Consumer Reports assigns a score of 0 to 100 on all vehicles it tests. These were the vehicles that scored lowest overall over a period of time. When they print the magazine, they typically test them in groups of four or five similar vehicles (four midsized SUVs, four compact cars, whatever).
Well they can call it whatever they want, but if you test a vehicle that was designed to be used as an offroad vehicle, and then rate everything but it's offroad ability, what kind of bullcrap test is that?

Of course the Jeep sucks at being a Lexus like cruiser, becuase it's a F%$*(&G JEEP.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm really having a hard time dealing with the fact that Consumer Reports, Edmund's, and Motor Trend have all turned to absolute crap. There are so many people out there quoting their articles THINKING that they know what they are talking about it is crazy.

Now, I'm not a Toyota Fan by any means, but, if every other magazine I've read, the Yaris leads its class in pretty much every category other than interior. Having seen performance numbers, especially fuel economy, handling, and acceleration, I find it hard that the Yaris could be on the list as the Fit and Versa not be. It outperforms them hands down. It's still a POS, but it's better than they are. lol.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
HAHAHA What a bunch of dolts. How could the automatic Yaris get over 33% better score than the manual, ESPECIALLY if acceleration was a big minus.

I'm reminded of why I don't get CR.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.