·
Premium Member
5,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
100 Years of Envisioning a Better Future
General Motors
March 2, 2020

The Future Looks Good
During the 1939 World’s Fair, General Motors outlined a vision that would revolutionize the transportation industry and create a more efficient tomorrow.

In an exhibit called “Futurama,” GM first introduced Americans to the concept of highways designed to facilitate desirable journeys and better connect people by paving a pathway between cities and towns. Over the next few decades, these highways completely redefined mobility around the world.

Today, this concept of connection as well as the desire to take people to places they want to go remains at the core of GM’s vision for a world with zero crashes, zero emissions and zero congestion.

As GM looks ahead to 2039, the company envisions the same interstate network – first presented 100 years prior – equipped with charging stations readily available to power all types of electric vehicles. These vehicles will be connected and capable of talking to one another, ultimately reducing congestion, helping keep people safe and leading to an emissions-free world.

This is the future GM envisions – and it looks good.
*Article w/Video at Link

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Showed direction for the next concept cars at least.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,249 Posts
GM's Futurama was one of the most highly rated and best attended exhibits at the 1939 New York World's Fair. Too bad World War II started six months after the fair began.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I will say, as down as I feel about GM sometimes, it brings back very fond memories when I think of some of the great sponsorship GM had over the years.

I remember as a youngin going to Disneyworld and the Epcot Centre had the 'world of motion'. GM would display all their latest and greatest at the end (I think) of the ride.

Ah good times!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
This is marketing. In fact, and most of the images do show is that the only zero that will exist is ownership. Over the years, people have been doing transactions with their dealerships that have been increasingly shallow. That is, at first, people just bought with cash their cars, then as prices moved up, financing was used to alleviate the barriers to entry, then as prices continued to rise, leasing has taken hold. For the better part of the last 10-15 years, financing with increasing terms and leasing with somewhat optimistic residual values have basically gone as far as they can.

Unfortunately, our mobility requirements only grow as our relationships both personal and business span further distances as time goes on. What you see here and what unfortunately will happen is a world in which most people will rent space in a vehicle to get from point A to point B.

If your freedom is determined by being able to get to any destination whenever you want, then this is not the solution you want. If freedom is determined by not having to pay an increasing portion of your salary to getting from two points, then your nirvana awaits.

Much like with the prognostications of 1939 the ones just made by GM will only partially come true.

The 800lb gorilla in the room really is the generational difference here. Baby boomers have had it so good economically yet subsequent generations not so much, that they have difficulty understanding why people don't think the way they do... In fact, to get to Baby Boomer type ideas, either incomes need to drastically increase and/or people's freedoms need to decrease.

The power of the grey hairs is only getting stronger. I mean, just look at the swamp in DC and in your state capital...

·
Registered
790 Posts
I will say, as down as I feel about GM sometimes, it brings back very fond memories when I think of some of the great sponsorship GM had over the years.

I remember as a youngin going to Disneyworld and the Epcot Centre had the 'world of motion'. GM would display all their latest and greatest at the end (I think) of the ride.

Ah good times!
They were visible in the waiting line and at the end from what I recall. And, yes, it was cool. I have no idea how they will ever get back there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts