GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 50-car motorcade of Model Ts is hitting the streets of Detroit this weekend as Ford celebrates 100 years of the iconic ride.

The cars will set off from Ford's Dearborn, Mich., headquarters Saturday and make a stop at the Piquette Plant in Detroit, where production of the Model T started in 1908. The cars also will stop at other Ford historical sites, including the Henry Ford estate.

More than 15 million Model Ts were sold from 1908 to 1927, and it was the first car to bring affordable transportation to the general public. In 1999, the Model T was named "Car of the Century" by a panel of journalists.

There also will be a celebration of the Model T on Saturday at the Antique Automobile Club of America Museum in Hershey, Pa. The event is expected to have 50 Model Ts, ranging from rare, early versions with brass radiators to cars from the 1920s. The event runs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080926/FREE/809269997/1023/CARNEWS

This would neat to see if in the Detroit area this weekend! :yup:

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Out of 15 million I wonder how many survived to modern times?
That's a good question. Many were chopped into modified hotrods. So I'd imagine there's still a surprising amount "left"....but I'm curious if they know how many are close to stock.

I meant to mention when I posted, but Ford averaged almost 790,000 models sold per year during that span.....that's crazy!

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
That's a good question. Many were chopped into modified hotrods. So I'd imagine there's still a surprising amount "left"....but I'm curious if they know how many are close to stock.

I meant to mention when I posted, but Ford averaged almost 790,000 models sold per year during that span.....that's crazy!
I couldn't image a Model T modified as a hot rod, they don't look sturdy enough to handle all that power. But yea, how many stock Model T's still exist. I am still amazed how many they sold a year, back then I couldn't believe that many people could afford a car.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I couldn't image a Model T modified as a hot rod, they don't look sturdy enough to handle all that power. But yea, how many stock Model T's still exist. I am still amazed how many they sold a year, back then I couldn't believe that many people could afford a car.
Most of them and many other Hot Rods done from that era were put on more modern chassis that were modified slightly to fit. The Chevy S-10 is a popular chassis for this.

But don't worry, there's good news!

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I know a lot were converted to tractors (not good ones). Additionally, a lot were probably lost during the scrap drives for World War II and the Korean War

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.