GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my '10 Equinox 1LT a few days ago, and I wanna add the GM tow hitch, mainly for a bike rack and a trailer weighing less then 1,000lbs when loaded. I red online somewhere that I need to get the car programed for the trailer lights to work, even if they're plugged in. Does anyone have any detail about this or any insight as to how much it would be, my dealer said they'll do it for $135, to hook up the hitch and the wires, but how much seems fair to just to program the computer? Thanks so much. Also, how hard is it to hook up the hitch? I found a video of someone doing it on an older equinox and it seemed so simple and like there was no drilling. Thanks soo much>!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just got my '10 Equinox 1LT a few days ago, and I wanna add the GM tow hitch, mainly for a bike rack and a trailer weighing less then 1,000lbs when loaded. I red online somewhere that I need to get the car programed for the trailer lights to work, even if they're plugged in. Does anyone have any detail about this or any insight as to how much it would be, my dealer said they'll do it for $135, to hook up the hitch and the wires, but how much seems fair to just to program the computer? Thanks so much. Also, how hard is it to hook up the hitch? I found a video of someone doing it on an older equinox and it seemed so simple and like there was no drilling. Thanks soo much>!
I too have a 2010 Equinox (2LT 4cyl), or I should say on the way somewhere in the "GM Jungle" of production and want to install a hitch.. I had not even thought about the reprogramming issue, there are hitches and wiring harnesses available but the web sites I have found say nothing about being required to reprogram.. Would be nice if a smart young GM Tech expert would reply to us so we will know the real story... Will be awaiting an answer... Thanks all.....

·
Registered
770 Posts
The BCM needs to be reprogrammed and the brake pedal position sensor needs recalibrating, I would say the reprogramming and recalibration should take about 1 hour labor. The BCM controls the wiring to the trailer harness and if the vehicle did not come with a hitch it needs the new calibration. Tell the dealer to reference #PIT4902A (SI document #2355108 )

·
Registered
16 Posts
The BCM needs to be reprogrammed and the brake pedal position sensor needs recalibrating, I would say the reprogramming and recalibration should take about 1 hour labor. The BCM controls the wiring to the trailer harness and if the vehicle did not come with a hitch it needs the new calibration. Tell the dealer to reference #PIT4902A (SI document #2355108 )
Fantastic,, thank you for the info and prompt responce,, now all I have to do is wait for GM to send me my Equinox... I knew going in it would take awhile,, it's great GM has sales and new products in the pipe line....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts