GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure this is in the right category. I have just purchased an o08 Silverado. Two immediate issues were apparant compared to the one I traded in.
1. The rear brakes (I believe have an incrediblely loud squeal. the dealership has asked GM and they are going to just sand them. This started as I pulled out of the lot with 20 miles on it. Any ideas for the cause of this? It is very loud.

2. The bigger issue is that this truck seems to lack the pickup in power compared to the exact same one I traded in. It seems to have a higher overdrive gear. When you need power you basiclly have to put your foot into it and hit passing gear. The previous truck (also an 080) just got up and went with minimal effort. The dealership is going to check about a programming issue.

My question is does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that may help with this?

·
Banned
158 Posts
the issue with the brakes is most likely from the vehicle sitting on the lot and rust forming on rotors and drums,as far as the power issue you didnt say what year of truck you traded in?The new truck is drive by wire or putting it in laymens terms it has no throttle cable,if your previous truck wasnt at least an 03 then you had a cable and if it was a 4.3 v6 then you had a cable until the 07 model year.there is a definite difference in percieved feel from cable to electric throttle imo and this could be what you feel even though no problem exists.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I would also agree that you need to drive the truck for a week or so before you start worrying about brake squeak.After that it should go away.The newer cars/trucks all use torque management in their PCM calibrations.You will definetly notice it more on the trucks.This was put into place to eliminate drive line clunk etc.You will notice it if you really nail the gas off the line.It feels like the truck is struggling to accelerate,but it completely normal.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The previous truck I owned was also an 08 identical to this one. The previous truck was seemed to have more instant power whereas this has to build. As far as the brakes go only getting worse as I have driven the truck for a week and a half and currently have 1800 miles on it. You can hear it from a block away. They are going to initially sand the brakes per GM. The previous truck also did not have this problem. I tend to trade every 5 to 6 months due to miles and resale. The previous truck had 28000 miles on it in just under 6 months. That truck was virtually perfect with the exception of the doors rubber stripping drying out more or less and thus causing creaking. The dealer also had no cure but we found a prevention. lubing it occassionally seemed to help.

I feel the brakes will be cured however this power change has me annoyed due to the other truck being great.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An update
1. The brakes were sanded and they still squeal just not as bad-as expected. They will probbaly replace in 1000 miles

2. The power issue seems worse and now it cant seem to naturally downshift unless you hit passing gear. and going up a hill it sees to have a light tremor and will not downshift naturally has to be forced and engine is bellowing like it is sucking in a lot of gas which i assume it is. Completely different that the last truck. Any ideas. The tremor makes me think transmission.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is identical went and verified on the sticker. Another example on this slwo down is slowing up for a car and after they are out of the way you give it gas and it down shifts naturally , not so here hangs in the gear or you have to hit passing gear.

·
Banned
158 Posts
The previous truck I owned was also an 08 identical to this one. The previous truck was seemed to have more instant power whereas this has to build. As far as the brakes go only getting worse as I have driven the truck for a week and a half and currently have 1800 miles on it. You can hear it from a block away. They are going to initially sand the brakes per GM. The previous truck also did not have this problem. I tend to trade every 5 to 6 months due to miles and resale. The previous truck had 28000 miles on it in just under 6 months. That truck was virtually perfect with the exception of the doors rubber stripping drying out more or less and thus causing creaking. The dealer also had no cure but we found a prevention. lubing it occassionally seemed to help.

I feel the brakes will be cured however this power change has me annoyed due to the other truck being great.
I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE YOUR VIN NUMBERS FROM BOTH TRUCKS,TO CHECK AND SEE WHAT TRANS WAS IN OLD TRUCK,IF INDEED YOU HAVE A 6 SPEED AND HAD A 4 SPEED BEFORE THEN WHAT YOU MAYBE FEELING IS SHIFT STABILIZATION,ITS AN ALGORITHM IN THE PCM TO REDUCE SHIFT BUSYNESS AND IS ON IN ALL MODES AND CANNOT BE TURNED OFF.IF YOU LOOK AT YOUR RPO LABEL IN GLOVE BOX AND GIVE ME THE M CODES I CAN TELL YOU WHAT TRANS YOU HAVE.AS FAR AS THE BRAKES I PERSONALLY HAVE NOT RAN INTO THIS PROBLEM.IF YOU HAVE A 1/2 TON THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE A FOUR SPEED IN BOTH BUT I DID HEAR THE POSSIBILITY OF THEM PUTTING 6L80S IN 1/2 TONS TOO.ALSO THERE WAS A RUNNING CHANGE ON MID YEAR 08 TRUCKS TOO THE FRONT PADS THAT IS SUPPOSED TO HELP WITH NOISE BUT APPARENTLY ISNT INTERCHANGEABLE WITH OLDER TRUCKS.ANOTHER THING COULD BE THIS TRUCK HAS ACTIVE FUEL MANAGEMENT OR CYLINDER DEACTIVATION AND THE OTHER DID NOT

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trucks are identical. As I have driven it more it seems the hang up is in second gear both dropping down and climbin through. the brakes were deterined to be in the rear. This is the lesser prob due to the dealer stating it is a prob. they will replace when I am ready.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem with my 07. The brakes were squeeking soooo bad I could not take it. Took it to the dealer who said the pads needed to be replaced. The only problem is it had 16k on it. I took the truck to another brake guy who took the tire off and found minor heat cracks on the rotors unturnable.
Had to purchase rotors and pads for a truck that had 16k on it. I dont drive in the mountains. I do however tow a 20ft boat about 10 times. I then found out that the 08 were going to have pads front and back. I became very worried about the people who trust these trucks as do I with their families. Sure as snot they have the same problems it IS NOT YOUR DRIVING HABBITS. Since GM has filed CH 11 they have started putting chinese metal on the rotors and pads. To cheap to even comment. If you are purchasing a GM or Chevy in the future just plan on having to spend $1000 dollars on a rotor and pad job within the first 20k. Use it as a bargining chip when you buy your new trucks. I dont care what any GM tech says they are using cheap chinese metals and from the way it looks dont plan on stopping anytime soon.

Ps it starts with the squeeking and just gets worse. Gm wont reimburse you trust me I have a now closed case number. If you call the 800 number
1-866-790-5700 they will blow you off. Adrinna at x41159 blew me off via voice mail did'nt even talk to me once just dismissed after promising me she would look into it. In the process of selling my 07 that now has 18500 miles on it and possibly buying a dodge. GM has lost my confidence. I have to much riding on my brakes.

David Burleson
Petaluma CA

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sorry to post this suggestion again, but a PROPER PCM tune will awaken your NNBS Silverado. I had one performed by Black Bear Performance and I can't tell you how big of a difference it made.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
I have a 2006 Silverado and my rear drums have squeaked since about 1 week old. The dealer said it was normal and some just come from the factory that way. I've just dealt with it because it doesn't happen all the time and doesn't affect stopping in mine.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
do not use an aftermarket PCM tune on your truck, it will void the warranty. and if you say no we cant tell what tune it has, your incorrect. aftermarket tunes are not engineered for the vehicle. they should not be used as a remedy to fix a concern that may exist with the truck. ill tell you right now if the dealer reprograms the PCM and finds an aftermarket tune, good luck with powertrain warranty.

your brake squeak issue is probably caused by lot rot. also moisture and dirt and debris will create noise, as well as cold weather.

to super4me2000- yes they do use cheap metal, its no secret it has been this way for years. and yes it does depend on driving habits. you cant honestly sit there and tell me someone that drives like a moron and thinks there car is a Formula 1 and then bitches about there car is not any different from a normal person driving the car the proper way. your obviously going to wear things out and overheat the rotors. all people drive differently, and live in different climates. dirt roads and salt create alot of problems on braking systems. so your assumption of poor rotor metal content may be relevant in some extent, but you are also mistaken by neglecting to include the several variables that have an impact on braking systems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Triple X08. Quit being such a douche bag. I don't drive my truck like a F1. I drive it like a truck. One more funny thing I've owned 5 chevy trucks and towed waaaaayyyy more than I've towed with this one and never once not once have I had any problem with my brakes before 35k. So this is a new thing the cheap metal is a problem that is not only my problem but everyone who buys and loads their families into them. To think that they first put the crappiest tires in the world on the truck is one thing. Everyone who buys a GM knows that you are replacing those tires before 20k but now the brakes and pads. Just a little to much to take from someone who has put so much faith in the GM lable. My environment is warm flat don't even have to go over a hill to take my boat to the lake which like I said I've only done a very few times. Take all your credentials and get back to work and let people in the forums communicate without your misinformed opinion.:p::p:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Triple X08. Quit being such a douche bag. I don't drive my truck like a F1. I drive it like a truck. One more funny thing I've owned 5 chevy trucks and towed waaaaayyyy more than I've towed with this one and never once not once have I had any problem with my brakes before 35k. So this is a new thing the cheap metal is a problem that is not only my problem but everyone who buys and loads their families into them. To think that they first put the crappiest tires in the world on the truck is one thing. Everyone who buys a GM knows that you are replacing those tires before 20k but now the brakes and pads. Just a little to much to take from someone who has put so much faith in the GM lable. My environment is warm flat don't even have to go over a hill to take my boat to the lake which like I said I've only done a very few times. Take all your credentials and get back to work and let people in the forums communicate without your misinformed opinion.:p::p:

i never in any way mentioned that you drive your truck like an F1, so get down off your high horse, i was stating that there are people that do. it would be like comparing apples to oranges. second off, your other trucks arent the same truck are they. things change year to year. the tire issue, well we dont know your maintenance history so you cant blame anything, as your results are inconclusive. have we had problems with the tires on the trucks, yep. mainly it is the lower end trucks that have the general tires on them, they wear the inside edges of the tires. if you actually happened to take the truck in for service then you would have noticed that there has been a bulletin for this issue for years, to resolve this by doing an alignment to remedy the problem. so you stop being a douche bag and attempt to better explain your situation that jump on here and start flaming a braking system you have no idea anything about it. so it is you sir that is misinformed. have a nice day.

·
Registered
770 Posts
On my ride (2001 Grand Am) I got 45K out of the OE brakes, and that was city driving, my original tires were replaced at 98,000 miles and had 5/32" left, so I would assume that you do drive somewhat aggressively. All the car manufacturers are using cheap metal in their rotors, it seems that no one wanted to pay for the good stuff so all of the American companies went belly up. They are now pulling the waste slag out of the ground in the old mills and using that for many products because it is better than anything made today. You get what you pay for and America got it, Cheap foreign steel. We are not seeing the wear patterns you describe on other Trucks of the same year and model.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Funny talk on tire and brake wear....................
My 07 2500 truck 28k miles snowplows all winter, tows all summer.
Still has the original brakes and cheap deathstone tires !
My Caddy with 35k also still has the factory pads and Michelin tires.

Now my old Z-28 that I POUND on all summer is a different story!

·
Registered
280 Posts
do not use an aftermarket PCM tune on your truck, it will void the warranty. and if you say no we cant tell what tune it has, your incorrect. aftermarket tunes are not engineered for the vehicle. they should not be used as a remedy to fix a concern that may exist with the truck. ill tell you right now if the dealer reprograms the PCM and finds an aftermarket tune, good luck with powertrain warranty.
Fair enough, but trust me, every stealership isn't the same when it comes to such issues. I'm going to get the HP and performance I paid for from under the wet blanket that is the GM factory PCM. BPP has done thousands of PCM tunes and is no fly-by-night organization.

·
Registered
770 Posts
If you have a problem with your powertrain GM now requires the dealer to submit certain data from the vehicles modules that proves if the programs were or were not modified. If it is found that they were changed the warranty is history.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts