GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New to this forum.

Last February I purchased a used 2007 Monte SS. I really like this car! I should have bought one sooner! However I am thinking I would like a little more tone and volume(not much) from the exhaust just to let others know there is a V-8 under the hood:)

I did notice that it has an resonator in the exhaust. Why did GM install the resonator? They only thing I can think of is to tame the exhaust note. Im curious as to any of you would think it would sound like if I removed it?(I don't want it to sound like hell hitting a tin roof) Also, would removing the resonator void any powertrain warranty?

The only cat-back I have found for it is from magnaflow and it is just a little pricey for me. Is there any other less pricey options?

I guess what im looking for is a sound that would be similar either the 1996 or 98 WS6 TA's I have owned. They had different tones, but I liked em both!

·
Registered
528 Posts
The resonator is their to take away some of the drone. On newer engines especially, drone is a real issue. 6.0 liter chevy's and 5.7 liter hemis are notorious for having drone issues.

If you take the resonator off, you might gain a little exhaust noise but not much.

The only exhaust I have ever seen on a impala SS/monte SS is a set of flowmaster mufflers. As far as I know everything else was left stock and he just swapped in a set of 50 series flowmaster mufflers. Nice rumble at startup and under acceleration. Could hardly hear it at cruising speed, which is good because of DOD. You could notice it a little when it kicked in but nothing bad.

So I recommend a Flowmaster 50 or 70 series muffler (your choice, same muffler, just one is quieter than the other). They sound really good without any drone like the 40 series have.

BTW, I have a flow 50 on my tahoe and love it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed a MagnaFlow in my '06 GXP and I really do like it, plus most people like the mellow deep tone it has. You get mor performance because of the larger pipe.

Now, the exhaust that is expensive is Corsa. That's really expensive. I've seen people go with the either the MagnaFlow w/3" DP and CAT, or Custom make a 2.5" exhaust with Flowmaster 50's or Hooker AeroChamber mufflers installed and Gibson Tips.

Please don't go with the 3" DP and High Flow CAT unless you're going to reprogram the ECM/PCM in the car. You'll definitely code.:cool:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Congrats to all of you who waited for the 2006-2007 Monte Carlo SS.
I know this high powered Super Sport cranks out a deep and aggresive exhaust sound.

I couldn't wait until 2006-2007 so I purchased a 2003 MCSS that cranks out an alright sound with the 3" pipes and dual flowmaster 40 series.

·
Registered
152 Posts
you'll lose some low end torque/power with the magnaflow cat-back, due to the larger 3" diameter pipe...

and removing the resonator could lead to interior drone...

all I did on my Monte was replace the mufflers... I put on some flowmaster super 40's, and the thing sounds bad-ass!

the part number for them is 952446 - super 40, offset in, center out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts