GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aside from some minor warranty work (wooden glove compartment door stuck; sunroof needing grease), the SRX has been virtually problem free. However, today it developed its first serious issue after 13 months of ownership and 10,000 miles on the odometer.

Those who read my speed-camera ticket thread know I don't drive the SRX often. But the one who does called me this morning saying that an odd warning light was illuminated on the dash, and she described it as looking like a valve (?) I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about, so I told her to have OnStar run a check. She called right back to report that OnStar said it was a "Secondary Time Chain" failure and that she had to have it repaired immediately. (Plus, there's a recall due to something being amiss with an axle seal.)

I don't know if she reported the issue accurately to me, but I know what a timing chain is and that it's bad news if one was to fail. I just never heard of a secondary timing chain. Can anyone shed some light on this? I plead ignorance if it's due to the DOHC design, as I'm used to OHV engines.

Anyway, the car is off to a long weekend at the dealership. I hope it's not going to be a recurring issue.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Re: '07 Cadillac SRX: 10,000 miles and first real problem

maybe she should slow down and not drive it so hard? save on those tickets as well.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It's on the surgeon's table now. She thought the DTS they gave her as a loaner was ugly. I explained that the last time I got a loaner from the dealership, it was a Corolla, not a $45,000 Cadillac. They must like her better.

·
Banned
17,572 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,677 Posts

She has a DTS, Wow.. I would like a loaner DTS. My daily car is a corolla.. I get Camry loaner.. My Wife's HHR never gets down, so, with her we never get a loaner

·
Registered
4,181 Posts

IIRC, that engine has two primary chains, from crank to intake valve on both heads. then each head has a secondary chain that drives the exhaust valve off the intake valve.

I'd be pi$$ed

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

There is also a recall about the rear axle seal on many Sigma Cadillacs, too.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Please post any details you can find out about the problem, Buick61. I'm having a hard time picturing this: How does any of the diagnostic software know there is something wrong with a secondary timing chain (probably the short one that goes from cam-to-cam in one head like someone suggested)? Seems like either the chain in good order or you are stopped along the side of the road waiting for a tow truck! Is there a tensioner with a position sensor on these little chains?

Anyway, sorry to hear you are having a problem with the SRX. This kind of thing is always frustrating.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please post any details you can find out about the problem, Buick61. I'm having a hard time picturing this: How does any of the diagnostic software know there is something wrong with a secondary timing chain (probably the short one that goes from cam-to-cam in one head like someone suggested)? Seems like either the chain in good order or you are stopped along the side of the road waiting for a tow truck! Is there a tensioner with a position sensor on these little chains?

Anyway, sorry to hear you are having a problem with the SRX. This kind of thing is always frustrating.
Apparently, GM had a supplier issue with the chains on earlier production 2007 SRX V6s. They were manufactured incorrectly, and apparently "stretch" over time. I'll know the full story after the dealer accesses. Several people on Cadillac Forums have had the issue. It does have a tensioner and position sensor.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts

She thought the DTS they gave her as a loaner was ugly. I explained that the last time I got a loaner from the dealership, it was a Corolla, not a $45,000 Cadillac. They must like her better.
Hmm... sounds strangely familiar. Every time I have taken in my SRX ('05) for scheduled maintenance or warranty work, the dealer gets me a loaner from Enterprise down the street (G6, Suburban, Outlook). The one time my wife took it in, they gave her a CTS loaner with the dealer's custom plates and gave her flowers when picking up the car! Not that I want the guy at the dealer giving me flowers, but what's with the gender bias... :confused:

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Yikes. In the end if they do a quick and proper job of fixing it it's not necessarily a huge dilemma, but that's still a pretty big deal if you ask me! Once again my choice to drive cheap, crappy cars seems like a good one!

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The SRX is back, and I think all is well.

The timing chains were, in fact, stretched. They replaced the chains, tensioners and seals. And now looking at the invoice, it appears they changed the oil (which makes sense) under warranty (which makes sense), so I'll have to check to see if the oil life monitor was reset.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Thanks, GMCSomona. I was picturing the main chain driving just one cam with a small chain linking that cam to the other cam in each head, but I see the main one is wrapped around both. Pretty amazing how much self-diagnosis engines are doing these days.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Apparently, GM had a supplier issue with the chains on earlier production 2007 SRX V6s. They were manufactured incorrectly, and apparently "stretch" over time. I'll know the full story after the dealer accesses. Several people on Cadillac Forums have had the issue. It does have a tensioner and position sensor.
Bingo. An actually widespread issue that most have finally had to deal with having fixed...however awful for the image of Cadillac and the SRX that is. "Oh yeah, a light came on and I needed a new timing chain and such. Very common issue."

That's common, and right now, the other common 3.6L issue for this year in, it seems, many Lambda's are defective cams. Not as widespread (but that might also just be due to the lower number of owners yet online) but several Enclave (just one board I'm on the most) owner's have had check engine lights that detailed a cam issue where some have had sensors replaced and others the engines torn down and the cam replaced due to defect.

So, it seems, years into production, at least 2 major components (both from suppliers, I assume) have become problematic...timing chains (huge, for at least a big part of 2007) and cam issues (Lambda's...seemingly at least a patch of '08s).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2007 SRX with 17,000 miles. The local dealer tells me both the timing belts are stretched and have to be replaced. Can anyone tell me if you have to remove the engine to make this repair? That is what the dealer is telling me.... takes 2 to 3 days. I am pretty disgusted with this. Also, nobody seems to be able to get any parts for the differential axle seal recall. What is up with that?

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I own a 2007 SRX with 17,000 miles. The local dealer tells me both the timing belts are stretched and have to be replaced. Can anyone tell me if you have to remove the engine to make this repair? That is what the dealer is telling me.... takes 2 to 3 days. I am pretty disgusted with this. Also, nobody seems to be able to get any parts for the differential axle seal recall. What is up with that?
I'll deal with your last issue first: We're still waiting on the differential seal for the recall, and it's been about a month wait so far.

I'm not sure if the entire engine had to be removed, but the entire procedure took about 2 days.

I also noticed they added coolant to the engine. Anybody know why that would have had to happen?

·
Registered
454 Posts
This also happened to me and I have 12,000 miles on my STS (V6). I was told by the mechanics at my fathers place that this would happen. Something happens with the timing chains and it starts to hit the surround area and not run correctly. I had the check engine and called onstar and they gave me the 3 codes on the error and then told them to the mechanic the next day. Took a day to fix, no biggie! :)

Joe

1 - 20 of 60 Posts