GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle- 2005 Malibu Classic 33,000 Miles

I went to the dealer today for a grinding noise in the left front wheel area. I was told it was a bad strut mount. My dealer suggested I do both strut mounts at the same time. I was quoted $600 (seems high) for both front strut mounts and springs. Would you recommend replacing them both at the same time if you are only having problems with one? Lastly, do they also replace the strut itself? That isn’t mentioned in my work order. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
**UPDATE**

I actually have an extended warranty on my car. The service manger personally called me today and said that they made a mistake and the warranty will cover strut mounts. I will only have to pay $35.00 total for insulators, much better than the original $600. I agree that 33k miles is low to require new strut mounts, however warranty will cover all this after all. They are NOT doing struts, just the mounts, springs, and insulators. Would you recommend I purchase struts if everything will be ripped apart anyway? The dealer said that wasn’t necessary. Does a new strut come with new mounts normally?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
**UPDATE**

I actually have an extended warranty on my car. The service manger personally called me today and said that they made a mistake and the warranty will cover strut mounts. I will only have to pay $35.00 total for insulators, much better than the original $600. I agree that 33k miles is low to require new strut mounts, however warranty will cover all this after all. They are NOT doing struts, just the mounts, springs, and insulators. Would you recommend I purchase struts if everything will be ripped apart anyway? The dealer said that wasn’t necessary. Does a new strut come with new mounts normally?
You don't need struts and don't worry about it.

The mount is what holds the spring on the strut and also provides the cushion between the strut and the body of the car.

Is 33k miles low? Depends on the type of driving you do. If that's all city milage then you've made a lot of turns on those mount bearings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, 95% of my driving is in town. I just tought maybe new struts would be a good idea if they are going to have the mounts off anyway to replace them and I wouldn't have to pay for additional labor. Isn't most of the cost for strut replacement labor anyway? I have had more problems with my 05 classic's front suspension than any other vehicle i've ever owned.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Yes, 95% of my driving is in town. I just tought maybe new struts would be a good idea if they are going to have the mounts off anyway to replace them and I wouldn't have to pay for additional labor. Isn't most of the cost for strut replacement labor anyway? I have had more problems with my 05 classic's front suspension than any other vehicle i've ever owned.
A good strut is in the $100 range so you'd be basically throwing away $200.

What other "problems" have you had? I see tons of N-body cars every week and other than the occasional control arm bushing and strut mount, they're solid.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, my car only has 33k miles and i've had to replace my front brakes twice now. I'm not a hard driver so this amazes me. I do have one more question for you. Do they normally replace the "stut insulators" when they replace strut mounts? I was told my warranty will cover the strut mounts and labor, but I will have to pay for the insulators?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.