GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be buying a family oriented vehicle sometime by the end of the year and I have been going back and forth with multiple vehicles for a while now. I was considering a Trailblazer SS but with gas prices going crazy I decided to drop that, I even considered an Astro van that I could customize somewhat. I think I have it narrowed down to two contenders. What do you think would be a better choice in the long run.

A moderately used 05-07 Grand Prix GXP

or

Brand new HHR SS

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I haven't driven an HHR yet. Please keep that in mind. I did drive a PT Cruiser though (I know not the same car), but it felt very claustrophobic to me. It appears the HHR is bigger, so hopefully that won't be an issue.

I personally would go for a new car over used right now. 0% financing for 72 months is unbelievable! You can stretch your payments out, and have NO cost penalty because of it.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
If its fuel economy you're looking for, the HHR should do better, and I think it can be had with a stick. The Grand Prix looks pretty bada$$ in GXP form though, and you can get a great deal on one. Just ask yourself - do you want/need a 5.3 LS4 that puts out 303hp? Or do you want a 2.0 DI Ecotec that puts out 260? Personally, I'd test drive both and see which I like most... but since you are doing the family thing, have your family come along for the test drive, or see if you can rent either car for a week. The Grand Prix may seem like a dream to you, but if your family is going to outgrow it soon, whats the point?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Buy a new HHR SS. Support the economy and GM! ;)

Seriously, buy what you like and can afford. Hopefully, the SS is available with the 0% or low financing these days.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
I like the GP GXP, but getting new is always the better option imo, so go with the HHR SS.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The GXP is a sweet ride (that motor sounds heavenly) and there are great deals to be had on used examples. The SS is cool too, though. Can't really go wrong with either. Personally, I would get the GXP just because it is a dying breed.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I vote HHR SS. My family owns a Grand Prix and they're really great cars, but in terms of cost and functionality, I think the HHR makes more sense. They probably have similar acceleration and handling, but if you calculate fuel usage, you will get more bang for your buck with the High Roof. The HHR might be smaller, but it seems more functional as a people/cargo hauler with those fold down rear seats. test drive them and find out for yourself!

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Naw not the GXP, you want a GTP Comp G :cool:

·
Registered
903 Posts
I would love to have the GP, but the rear seats on them are very cramped in the leg room area.

·
Super Moderator
21,003 Posts
You could still probably find '08 Grand Prix GXPs on the lot at heavily discounted prices due to the new model year...not sure though.
Try driving both of them and see which one feels better.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tips. I am not to concerned with gas milage I just don't think I want the 20mpg from the trailblazer SS. Me and my wife our having our first child in Nov. and I have an S10 so I need to get something with a backseat. My wife has an 05' Equinox that will be our larger vehicle so I just need something the three of us can go places in when need be. I know they have the 0% on the HHR SS now but I am holding of until the fall because we are working on buying a new house so I don't want to affect that in any way.

My dad has an 07' Impala SS and I love the power it has but I think the Grand Prix is a little more sporty. I will have to drive both and see which I prefer but I am wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience with either.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've got an '05 GXP and it's been a great car, though I did have to have the AC compressor and steering rack replaced while the car was under warranty.

Since my wife has to be able to drive my car occasionally which rules out a manual transmission, that effectively rules out the HHR SS. I wouldn't want a de-tuned motor just to protect the ancient 4-spd auto transmission they put in that thing.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are the 05 Boneville GXP's any better than the Grand Prix GXP? I would think the 5.3 is a better motor than the northstar but I have not driven a northstar powered vehicle.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Hmm that's tough. Are you thinking auto or 5 spd on the HHR? Because I know if I wanted an auto I'd probably end up getting the GP (gotta love the LS4). But at the same time, having a stick is important to me so that would lean towards the HHR. I happen to like the non-ss chrome grill and trim better on the HHR than the ss model all body color but that's subjective.

I think it could really hinge on your transmission choice. Either way go do a set of test drives and let us know.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I get the HHR SS I would have to get the manual because of the power difference. Either way I am fine with an auto or manual but with the HHR SS it would have to be a manual.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
...or have the wife learn how to work the stick...

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Personally, I would look at a Bonneville GXP over a Grand Prix GXP, they are a bit bigger, and a bit more luxurious. But the GP has 303 hp, while the Bonnie has 275hp, the GP is a LS4 OHV V8, while the Bonnie is a 4.6 Northstar DOHC V8. Now that you bring up the Bonneville, it makes me wonder if that would be better. I'm sure that the rear leg room would be better. The trunk should be bigger. Does the LS4 require premium gas? I know the Northstar does. And the Northstar should be run at WOT every now and then to ensure protection against leaks and things of that nature. The only problem is, you can find a GP no problem, the Bonnie was a 2 year deal, and that might be a bit more difficult. But you might want to check one of those out too.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I took your advice and bought an HHR SS last Wednesday. It replaced my Cadillac CTS. I'm impressed with the performance to say the least. And my 18 year old son can't get enough of it, which is unexpected. Unbelievable torque. At highway speeds in 5th gear, you don't need to downshift to pass. Mash down on the accelerator, the turbo boosts to 15psi, you hear a low growl and the power is as solid as a brick. I went on a 180 mile trip last weekend and got 27.5 mpg combined hwy/city, even while heavy footing at times. My daughter fell asleep in the back seat on the way home, so I think that she was okay with it as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts