GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2006 GMC Sierra. When sunlight beats on truck for hours while I'm working, radio works great.
After it sits overnight only right rear works. Tried another radio. Checked wire connectors and all look like new. Still have problem.
Hope someone fugures this out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe GM uses the worst speakers in the biz? Often a bad speaker still produces sound, but it just sounds like crap. Consider myself also mystified as to how/why 3 or 4 speakers at a time just simply stop producing any sound whatsoever.
Not sure if anyone ever found a solution but I am having similar issues with my '07 silverado. Only difference is my speakers will work every once in a while, it's a crap shoot everytime I turn the radio on. Tweeters work all the time, other 4 are off and on… was hoping to find a quick answer surfing the web.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is my first post to this forum. Apparently my problem is not unique. My 2006 Silverado Crew Cab has had intermittent driver's side speaker problems going on for 2 years now. 95% of the time my driver's side speakers, (both front and rear) only put out a faint signal from the tweeters while the passenger side has never failed. For 2 years I've tried to recognize a pattern of when they work or fail, but alas there is no pattern! Weather conditions, road conditions and engine temp don't seem to matter. Out of the blue, maybe a couple times a month, all 4 speakers work and sound great from initial engine start all the way to my driving destination. They may even work for a whole day when I've had to shut the truck off multiple times. On the other hand, I've had them work for 10 minutes and when I shut the truck off they failed to work after I restarted the engine. On even more rare occasions the driver's side speakers will come on while driving. I've tried to notice if I hit a bump in the road or something that might have triggered the speakers to work but that's not the case either. I've been sitting at a complete stop in traffic and had them mysteriously start working again. I took the radio out to inspect the connections but didn't see any problems. Have not looked in the drivers door yet but that is my next stop. I'll be following this thread and will post again if I find the source of my problem.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Many issues noted with the LEFT front chaNNEl burning out in the 03 and up gmt-800 radios.
I wonder if its because they run the warning chimes thru the left front radio channel
instead of the seperate chime module on earlier models????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Problem solved! I finally broke down and bought a cheap pair of Pioneer brand speakers from my local Walmart and presto, I once again have a working stereo. I stumbled across a video on Youtube showing how to remove the door panels on my 2006 Silverado Crew Cab and in it the person stated that these trucks have issues with moisture getting into the inside of the door compartment. Sure enough, when I removed my door panels there were drops of water all over the plastic vapor barrier under the door panel and the speaker magnets were wet as well. I haven't researched how to address the moisture issue but the speakers were only $40.00 and about an hour of my time to replace. Here is a Youtube link on how to take the door panels off.
My truck uses 6 1/2" round speakers in all 4 doors. Tools needed for my particular model included a pair of needle nose pliers, a small torx head bit or driver, a thin flat blade screwdriver for prying and a 7mm socket and ratchet with a long extension. The extension helps to access the screw under the door handle. Some models dont have a torx screw towards the back of the door panel. They instead have another 7mm screw under the bottom of the door. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Problem solved! I finally broke down and bought a cheap pair of Pioneer brand speakers from my local Walmart and presto, I once again have a working stereo. I stumbled across a video on Youtube showing how to remove the door panels on my 2006 Silverado Crew Cab and in it the person stated that these trucks have issues with moisture getting into the inside of the door compartment. Sure enough, when I removed my door panels there were drops of water all over the plastic vapor barrier under the door panel and the speaker magnets were wet as well. I haven't researched how to address the moisture issue but the speakers were only $40.00 and about an hour of my time to replace. Here is a Youtube link on how to take the door panels off.
My truck uses 6 1/2" round speakers in all 4 doors. Tools needed for my particular model included a pair of needle nose pliers, a small torx head bit or driver, a thin flat blade screwdriver for prying and a 7mm socket and ratchet with a long extension. The extension helps to access the screw under the door handle. Some models dont have a torx screw towards the back of the door panel. They instead have another 7mm screw under the bottom of the door. Good luck!
Hey can we get a moderator to add "SOLVED" to the thread title?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Count me in too, '04 Silverado 2500HD crew cab garage queen with 44k miles. My tow vehicle that doesnt see any abuse starting to have intermittent drivers side speakers that went out hard and now nothing from the left side. I figured it had to be the head because it would be highly unlikely for all of the speakers only on the left side to die at the same time. I went to the scrapyard this morning and got a new head unit ($30) then disassembled it to do the security hack (youtube, it really worked fine) and still same issue. Sure am glad I didnt spend $250 on "unlocked" EBAY unit. Looks like Im going to pull speakers and ohm them out.:confused:

Just as a sidebar note my trailer running lights quit as well but still have turns and brake lights.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
If this is a water/speaker issue, you may want to get Marine Grade speakers which will hold up better.

Good luck in figuring it out!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts