GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have a 2004 Silverado 4x4 extended cab that has the stock CD am/fm radio. The problem with this radio is that only one speaker is working, and thats the back right speaker only, none of the other speakers works or even makes a sound besides the one. Beside the 3 speakers that dont work everything on the diplay lights up and works fine. I was wondering if you can throw a few deas out there that might be the problem.
Also, I do have the color code of the wiring and what each wire is used for, but I was wondering if anyone had a diagram picture of the radio wiring and how its run inside the cab.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Brooks:drive:

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Sorry to ask a retarded question....but it's better to ask than not.

Have you adjusted (or tried) the balance and fade?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its got me baffled as to why only the back right speaker is working (and the back left isnt working, let alone the two front speakers). , only thing I can think of is the speakers wires arent making contact somewhere, but where is the question.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
It's probably just a bad head unit. :( It's possible that 3 channels failed at the same time, but the right/rear was ok.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Thanks a million for your input, Ill start looking around for a new one.
Ebay is a pretty good way to go...I have had a lot of success there. Buying new from the dealership will cost a lot of money probably. For that kind of money, perhaps a good aftermarket head unit is in order. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd hold the phone on a head unit swap-out, Chevyboz. There is no way three speakers went bad, and it's unlikely 3 channels went bad, either.

I'm having some serious grounding issues with my 04 Silvie as we speak involving speakers and power windows. I'll post you the solution as soon as I repair it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello. I'm having a similiar problem w/ a 04 trailblazer. Right side speakers quit working both front & rear. I replaced the head (basic unit w/ no separate amp) and still same problem. I have to think it's wiring or ground.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Silverado Classic club cab that lost sound (all sound) from all speakers except the psgr front door lower speaker. I replaced both rear door speakers and the driver's door lower speaker this morning and regained full operation of the stereo (a factory unit btw), but I'm mystified as to why this would happen.

I'd love to know if there are any tests I can do on the speakers I removed or tests I can run to see if voltage spikes are coming from the amp to the speakers.

Anyhow, speaker replacement worked for now, but I'm curious whether you discovered the same.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Maybe GM uses the worst speakers in the biz? Often a bad speaker still produces sound, but it just sounds like crap. Consider myself also mystified as to how/why 3 or 4 speakers at a time just simply stop producing any sound whatsoever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't know that I have the answer for you... yet, but thought I'd share this part of my story about radios & Silverados. I have a 2004 also and recently brought it into the dealer for LOF, tranny & diff fluid change and asked them to check the battery levels as they were the seven year old originals. I had just finished detailing it the day before listening to the radio the whole time and then dropped it off the next morning. I was half way home after picking it up when I turned on the radio and found I had lost both drivers side speakers! SOB's I thought! Dude doing my truck blew my speakers during a test drive or something! Brought it back and got the usual... probably your radio amp went...nothing we do here could have caused that. Went home and pulled the radio and jumpered it up so that I could feed the drivers side speaker outputs from the radio to the passenger side speakers that still worked and voila...left side channels in the radio worked...all the channels worked. Brought it back to the dealer and they wanted to check it out themselves. They did and came back and said the speakers were blown but not due to anything they did. In all fairness to them they agreed to meet me halfway and absorb half the expense. I told them I believe it happened when they disconnected the batteries to do the check- look online about how many things go wrong with climate control and disconnecting batteries! Anyway we agreed on splitting the cost and the manager went back to the tech to tell him to wrap it up when their head diesel guy came over and decided to try one more thing. I didn't get all the exact details but he reset my radio AND instrument cluster and guess what folks! Now my drivers side speakers are both working again but the passenger rear is out!!! What the heck is up with that! Anyway they are all scratching their heads over that one and are now going on the assumption that it is the radio and are going to replace it. I personally don't believe that is going to resolve it but what the heck. New radio at no cost to me except my time going back and forth to the dealer. I will post the results and get a more detailed explanation of what all the did besides "reset" components. Get the feeling we live on the razors edge of all these ECM's, BCM's, modules and clusters working in harmony? If the techs don't get it all, we're doomed :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add me to the list. '07 Silverado 1500 HD. For the last year I've had usually just the right rear speaker. Every once in a while one or more of the other 3 would work for a short while, then go away again.

As of today, the right rear is now gone too, but the tweeters of the left and right front speakers are working. Pulled the radio out of the dash and made sure the plugs are seated well. Traced as much of the wiring as I could - no problems I can see.

The radio/cd display functions correctly. Don't know whether to try another head end or not.

Maybe go to an aftermarket head end?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Do your warning chimes/key in buzzer still work?
(They work thru the radio/left speaker).

Remember that these 07 units are vin# locked so a used one won't work
in your vehicle unless you take it to a GM dealer and have it unlocked
with the Tech 2 machine.

Going aftermarket you will lose your warning chimes and you will need
special modules along with the new aftermarket stereo for them to work.
www.crutchfield.com and others sell these modules.

As far as having your original unit repaired chek United Radio.com
in Syracuse NY.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, it was the speakers. Bought a pair of 6 1/2" and replaced the fronts and they worked. Bought two more and swapped the rears and I'm back in business - with better sound than I had originally. Hopefully the Panasonics I used will last a while....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same problem on my Harley electra glide , speaker went out, I found the connection from the speaker terminal to the cone was bad, retouched with a soldering iron, I was good to go, a speaker can be checked with a ohm meter, should read @ 8 - 4 ohms, with the speaker leads to the radio removed, if you don't have a meter, a 1.5 volt battery with wires soldered to the pos and neg, connect one side, then intermittently the other, as you connect the battery you should see the speaker cone move in and out and hear a clicking sound as you connect and disconnect the battery

1 - 20 of 32 Posts