GM Inside News Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I just purchased (5/31/04) a 2004 Silverado 1500 with the crew cab and short bed, Z71 with the trailor towing package. What a mistake!!! Since I returned the vehicle the day after I bought it, I should be able to get my money back.

Every time I went over a bump of any size, the cab reverberated horizontally, about 3 times. If I caught the road bumps just right (or just wrong, you might say), it went into a bucking bronko type scenario. This is not a stiff ride issue, this is an oscillation issue in a different plane than the initial bump.

I understand this 1/2 ton crew cab with the 5.8 foot bed is a brand new design. Well, when it is coupled with the Z71 package and the trailer towing package, it equals disaster!

Be warned, the rest of you considering such a move.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
That sucks! My dad has a truck JUST LIKE THAT, but it does not have that problem. Or any problems at that.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Maybe a loose bolt(doubt it, but possible) or you should try to avoid the potholes that are the size of an Aveo. Hopefully though you can get to thr root cause of the problem so you can enjoy your truck like many others are. Those damn Earnhardt fans are so hard to please!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Have you driven other identical trucks on the dealer's lot? They don't all do that, do they? If they don't, let them treat you to a free loaner until they get it taken care of.

If they all do that, you need to expand your test-drive route...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THX for the replies guys.

I'll try to answer the questions you all asked about my problem of vibration in the new 2004 Silverado Z71 with the crew cab and towing package.

Yes, I did drive another identical truck afterwards and it had the same problem. When I initially did my test drive, I did not notice the problem, since it is very slight on most bumps.

When I carried the truck back, most of the service technicians drove it and found the same problem. They also verified that the other vehicle with the same packages had the same issue.

This is a new configuration for the 1/2 ton crew cab with the 5.8ft. bed and it is a new application for the special Tenneco shocks. I think they just blew it somewhere.

-- Dan

·
Registered
954 Posts
God Forbid! A Vibration in a truck :eek:

Any truck with no weight on the rear tires will bounce around with stiff off-road suspension. I bet if you took the the truck off-road or pulled a trailer which the truck was made for, I'm sure it would handle beautifully. I'm not trying to be an *** but most trucks with off-road suspension do this.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Originally posted by Dumb_Ass_2003@Jun 4 2004, 07:17 AM
God Forbid! A Vibration in a truck :eek:

Any truck with no weight on the rear tires will bounce around with stiff off-road suspension. I bet if you took the the truck off-road or pulled a trailer which the truck was made for, I'm sure it would handle beautifully. I'm not trying to be an *** but most trucks with off-road suspension do this.
there driving factory trucks man not baha off road vehicles

·
Registered
11 Posts
Reverberated Horizontally? This is a new one to me. Does this mean when the symptom happens your butt goes side to side in the seat? Explain if incorrect.
I do know when my 03 RCSB Z71 was new the shocks were a bit stiff. Small bumps made my belly shake a few more times than I though it should but they broke in and it all settled down. My partners 03 2500 HD Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 W\8.1 motor did the same but also broke in.

·
Super Moderator
9,040 Posts
I hope the 2wd crew cab Sierras don't act like that. I don't know if I can wait long enough for them to break in. I will definately take a good loooonng test drive when I look for mine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have sold several of those models with no complaints from customers. Is this your first truck? The rear of these trucks are light, combined with the suspension that is set up to haul payload you will get a somewhat bouncy ride when going over bumps. I have a feeling if you put some weight in the back of the truck (you know, like it was meant to be used) you would not have any problems.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just as a thought, double check your tire pressures and make sure that they are no higher than the recommended pressures on the sticker on the driver side door. You may also want to lower the pressure by a pound or two in the rear, below what is shown, if you drive the vehicle unloaded.

Other than the tire pressures, see if you can get four or five 50lb bags of sand and load them into the bed of the truck and see if that changes the way the truck drives/handles the bumps. If the loading changes the way the truck responds, it is likely that the suspension is sufficently stiff to cause the truck to ride like pickups used to ride. Like a buckboard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.