GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving look down all the needles stopped working, tach, speedo, fuel etc:confused:
But the mileage, PRND , and background lights work
Was able to use the GPS for speed, I know I have 1/2 tank of gas
Id there s fuse that controls this , or what else should I look at?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Was driving look down all the needles stopped working, tach, speedo, fuel etc:confused:
But the mileage, PRND , and background lights work
Was able to use the GPS for speed, I know I have 1/2 tank of gas
Id there s fuse that controls this , or what else should I look at?
There is a recall for this... I guess you haven't gotten your letter yet. Take it to your local service dealer and the board should be replaced for free if you are below 70,000 miles (110,000km). The entire board (speedo, tach, etc.) has to be replaced.

This thread contains the recall info:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55544

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
That sucks. Not sure how much a new board cost... but I imagine its not cheap.
IT's a recall, warranty shouldn't matter. I got the letter for my '04, I think the recall covers '03 as well but I'm not sure. I can't find my letter right now, but I'd call your GM dealer's serive department and see what they say. Have you VIN handy. :yup:

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
IT's a recall, warranty shouldn't matter. I got the letter for my '04, I think the recall covers '03 as well but I'm not sure. I can't find my letter right now, but I'd call your GM dealer's serive department and see what they say. Have you VIN handy. :yup:
The recall only covers vehicles with under 70,000 miles (110,000 km) on them. Read the recall GMCSonoma posted in the link I provided. When I said under warranty I meant for free. There is no factory warrany for our trucks that goes up to (or over) 70,000 miles.

From the recall:
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
The recall only covers vehicles with under 70,000 miles (110,000 km) on them. Read the recall GMCSonoma posted in the link I provided. When I said under warranty I meant for free. There is no factory warrany for our trucks that goes up to (or over) 70,000 miles.

From the recall:
Oh, OK. Like I said, I couldn't find mine, but that's stupid that a recall doesn't cover more than that.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Oh, OK. Like I said, I couldn't find mine, but that's stupid that a recall doesn't cover more than that.
Yeah, its my fault. I shouldn't have said "under warranty". I'll fix it. I do agree with you on the mileage limit being stupid.... 70,000 miles is nothing for these trucks and that should include the gauges.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd just upgrade to the 03 Caddy Platinum Edition Cluster... had that in my 03 AV and loved it... If you have to pay for a new cluster anyway, why not get a better cluster with the trans temp for almost the same price?

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
My father in law has the same prob on his 2000 and his work partner's 2006 speedo just locked up last week. It amazes me that a vehicle can go through it's entire production cycle of 10 years before they do anything about it. When they do correct the problem, it's too late and only covers certain years and mileage?

Bad call GM!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
First off, it is NOT a recall. If it were it would be fixed regardless of mileage OR if it had the problem or not. Secondly the Special Policy only covers the cluster for a certain failure, and what he is describing does not really fit what they are replacing them for. I am inclined to think maybe an ignition switch is bad on his if ALL of the gauges stopped working at the same time.

The clusters they are having problems with are only the 03-04 years, and usually have only one gauge inop at a time due to a bad stepper motor. So they didnt "wait 10 yrs to do anything about it". These vehicles can have problems that are similar without being the same cause.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
shadams, I'm sorry if you're upset about this, but I still stand by my conclusion. GM has made a crap load of these trucks. By 2006, the truck should be pretty bullet proof. If you're not concerned by the amount of instrument guage problems on the trucks, you're in the minority. It's things like that that make or break GM's sales.

And don't get me started about the stupid windshield weatherstrips that have been replaced on my truck 5 times already and still vibrate going over 70 mph!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
shadams, I'm sorry if you're upset about this, but I still stand by my conclusion. GM has made a crap load of these trucks. By 2006, the truck should be pretty bullet proof. If you're not concerned by the amount of instrument guage problems on the trucks, you're in the minority. It's things like that that make or break GM's sales.

And don't get me started about the stupid windshield weatherstrips that have been replaced on my truck 5 times already and still vibrate going over 70 mph!
Oh I am not upset. You are right, and have the right to be upset yourself. Its just that everyone is jumping the gun here and assuming too much, and calling it a recall when it isnt. I am merely trying to give all the facts here so we can all be upset about the right stuff.

Take care!

Oh, and tell the idiots to stop replacing those modings and just put some windshield adhesive down under them. I have done that countless times here and everytime it has fixed it without fail. As I have said in the past, the dealers are supposed to have GM's back, and come up with ways to fix problems instead of just slapping parts on them and making them look bad.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you cannot find any bad fuses in your truck. I would say call the salvage yard or check eBay or other forum sites and check, their members’ ads...they might be selling a used one.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I still think you have a bad ignition switch. It might be worth it to have the diag done, The problem you are going to have though is there is no way to program the cluster for the truck, and the miles cannot be changed once it is in the vehicle.Then you will have the wrong miles on it and you will be up a creek.

You really dont have many options if it is a cluster.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
First off, it is NOT a recall.
I thought the wording at the top of my letter was Recall Notice, but I'll have to check that to make sure.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Here is the letter...

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2003 or 2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV or Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, or Tahoe; or GMC Sierra, Yukon, or Yukon XL vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some of these vehicles could develop a condition where one or more of the instrument panel gauge needles may stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and the fuel gauge.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has this condition.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with a special coverage that extends the warranty on the instrument panel cluster for the condition described above. If this condition occurs on your 2003 or 2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, or Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, or Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, or Yukon XL within 7 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.

As opposed to:

Dear General Motors Customer:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

You may have already been contacted regarding this recall, but this letter is to inform you that parts are available to service your vehicle.

Reason For This Recall

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists....blah blah

1 - 20 of 21 Posts