GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 Z71 has recently started idling real rough when in park or at a stop light. Occasionally it will die also. I am going to take it into the dealership to get it checked out, but don't want to get screwed. Has anyone had this happen so that I know what the situation is before I go spend money to fix it. Maybe fuel system?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Is it acting like it's starved for gas? I'd also say bad injectors if that's the case, though with an 03 that's a bit odd. The Injectors on my '90 Firebird V6 went bad, 3 of the 6 were below spec, with 2 of them basically shorting out, causing the ECM to over heat and shut the car down to prevent damage to it self. Rough idle like it wanted to stall with no gas. Also, when floored and it got into the upper RPM range, it fell flat on it's face and started stalling.

If the gas smells rich on start up, could be a fuel pressure regulator. Not terribly uncommon.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Start with the easy stuff. I would bet it is a dirty throttle body, I do services on those on a daily basis, people never believe it to be something that simple. Pop off the air intke tube where it clamps to the throttle body and spray the daylights out of the blade and internals with throttle body cleaner. (can be bought at any parts store) Pay attention to the little hole in the middle, thats where the air goes through at idle (some dont have the hole, they have a different design.) Anyway, just clean it thoroughly inside and out. Then, when you try and start it, it will crank for ever then run like hell until it clears out all the cleaner and dissovled gunk, as well as smoke for a few. Just get it on the road and run it hard for a few minutes, then see how it does.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Start with the easy stuff. I would bet it is a dirty throttle body, I do services on those on a daily basis, people never believe it to be something that simple. Pop off the air intke tube where it clamps to the throttle body and spray the daylights out of the blade and internals with throttle body cleaner. (can be bought at any parts store) Pay attention to the little hole in the middle, thats where the air goes through at idle (some dont have the hole, they have a different design.) Anyway, just clean it thoroughly inside and out. Then, when you try and start it, it will crank for ever then run like hell until it clears out all the cleaner and dissovled gunk, as well as smoke for a few. Just get it on the road and run it hard for a few minutes, then see how it does.
Yep, or a bad MAF or vacuum leak.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts