GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2002 silverado 4x4 4.8L.

First question, the front torsion bar setup. Looking at the front suspension i can see the lower control arms are resting on the rubber bumpers without any load in the truck. I am guessing the torsion bars need adjusting, but I'm not sure what the proper method is.

In the rear i have 2 springs with 1 overload spring on each side, the springs have taken on a slight w shape, and are about one-quarter inch from the overloads without any load in the truck. I've done alot of towing with the truck, but mostly its a commuter truck. I am going to take the truck in to the spring shop to get the springs replaced or rebent, but what could I add to the truck to prevent this from re-occuring? I think I am going to use load adjuster shocks with coil springs.

Any advice would be great, Pete.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ordered all new leaf springs today, 5 per side, that otta fix er', along with 4 new magnum shocks.

Still unsure about the torsion bars, spring shop said they would look at them when it was in for an alignment. I'd like to get it up to max safe height, without hurting the truck ie extra wear on cv axles/ popping out shocks, so if anyone knows how to adjust torsion bars the right way please let me know, thanks, Pete.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Pete,

The torsion bar front suspension is "supposed" to sit on the bump stops.

You can re-clock the torsion bars with torsion bar keys that turn the bar inside the crossmember yet still retain the fine adjustment with the locking screw.

The easy way of cranking the adjustment with the locking screw is a bad idea. Eventually you'll have no more adjustment. The keys are cheap and a shop can install them and do the alignment in a few hours.

Unless you are running 285/75-16 or 285/70-17 tires you shouldn't need the front suspension adjusted up.

The new spring pack will probably be a little more stiff, but you'll likely not experience the sag for some time. You can always use some air bags ontop of the leafs. Not ideal, but they will help with the load and be transparent when commuting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the new springs in, oh boy, they sure brought the back end up. I don't think it sat that high when it was new, must have brought it up about 5 inches from where it was on the old flattened springs. So now its got huge nose down.

I would like to raise the front end, not sure how much though, I'll have to do some measuring, figure out how far up I'd like to go......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.