GM Inside News Forum banner

Updated XT5 Doesn't Move the Needle

6K views 84 replies 24 participants last post by  mbukukanyau 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Cadillac's Updated XT5 Doesn't Move the Needle
For the 2020 model year, Cadillac's best-selling model gets a facelift and several refinements that do little to alter its back-marker status.
By Annie White
FEB 27, 2020
Car & Driver

HIGHS: Smooth nine-speed transmission, V-6 model is quicker than before, handsome exterior design.
LOWS: Occasionally jittery ride on big wheels, interior finish lags behind its rivals, poor real-world fuel economy.

As Cadillac's best-selling vehicle, the XT5 pays a lot of the brand's bills, even if it isn't the most interesting model in the Cadillac showroom. A host of mid-cycle updates that further refine the XT5 should help maintain its status for the 2020 model year, regardless of whether or not they significantly alter the XT5's reserved character or elevate it from its position at the back of its segment. (They don’t.)

We had a range-topping XT5 Sport model for this review. As standard, it includes General Motors' familiar 310-hp 3.6-liter V-6, adaptive dampers, and a trim-specific mesh grille and dark exterior trim. All-wheel drive is included here, but it's a $2000 option on the lower Luxury and Premium Luxury trim levels. The V-6 is also now a $1000 option on those lesser variants, as a new 237-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four base engine has been added for 2020. Along with some minor interior revisions and massaged front and rear fascias, a nine-speed automatic replaces the previous eight-speed unit as the sole transmission choice.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Re: Cadillac's Updated XT5 Doesn't Move the Needle

The writer seems to think the vehicle is a "back-marker" in the midsize luxury market but if so - why does it sell so well?
I can answer that.. Because despite what the boys over at C&D and MT think.. the car market is comprised MOSTLY of people who aren't "enthusiasts" looking to blast from 0-60 in 2.9secs.

Just this morning I found myself yet again.. riding behind and cursing out a driver of the "world's ultimate driving machine..." this time an X6.. doing about 55 in the fast lane and sippin coffee. She had to be about 60 years old, and I bet good money that racing and cornering was the last thing on her mind.. ever.

Like the RX350/L.. the XT5/6 do exactly what C&D said here...

As Cadillac's best-selling vehicle, the XT5 pays a lot of the brand's bills, even if it isn't the most interesting model in the Cadillac showroom.

As an owner I can say it's far from a poor choice in the market segment.
I have been told countless times here that your statement above.. means absolutely nothing versus the commentary that will soon follow about how Cadillac need to step it up.. and that the XT5/6 really are Buicks;)

I really like the new face on the XT5. It looks great.
I do too.. prefer it over the launch styling.. but still wish that they had of went ahead and updated the shape (along with the 4) to truly match the XT6 and Escalade for the sake of continuity

#37 ·

Car and Driver, I guess it’s not from Germany...
Are you seriously still trying to beat that drum? They've praised tons of non-German vehicles.

So we're back to hating C&D...?

Just trying to keep up with the changing wind.
THANK YOU

That's a bit of a straw man. The critiques were in reference to specific parts of the article, not whether C&D is hated or loved as a whole. Your wording implies we should be blind but consistent fanatics or haters. Can't an author's take and presentation be subject to a reader's opinion just as the cars are to theirs? Or are auto journalists and their work now considered to be among that which we do not criticize in society?
See mbukukanyau's comment.

I really like the new face on the XT5. It looks great.
Agreed. Overall, I think this car is dialed in just about perfectly to its target market. It doesn't need to be best in class, even though I wish it was from a Cadillac prestige standpoint.

#21 ·

So we're back to hating C&D...?

Just trying to keep up with the changing wind.
That's a bit of a straw man. The critiques were in reference to specific parts of the article, not whether C&D is hated or loved as a whole. Your wording implies we should be blind but consistent fanatics or haters. Can't an author's take and presentation be subject to a reader's opinion just as the cars are to theirs? Or are auto journalists and their work now considered to be among that which we do not criticize in society?

#34 · (Edited)
Although it's not something most people intellectualize, one of the things that is innately apparent about the Caddy Crossovers (The XT5 in particular) is that they have outdated proportions. Styling is one thing, but the presence of a vehicle is harder for people to explain, but you understand it when you see it. A cab-forward wedged-shaped SUV is more evocative of non-luxury utilities and the XT5 is especially stubby looking. That's why long flat hoods with a stronger dash-to-axle ratio is all the rage in design today, the XT5 (and quite a few other GM crossovers) look out of step with that trend. Ultimately the XT5 is also a budget-friendly luxury crossover, it's sold on value more than image.

#43 ·
Although it's not something most people intellectualize, one of the things that is innately apparent about the Caddy Crossovers (The XT5 in particular) is that they have outdated proportions. Styling is one thing, but the presence of a vehicle is harder for people to explain, but you understand it when you see it. A cab-forward wedged-shaped SUV is more evocative of non-luxury utilities and the XT5 is especially stubby looking. That's why long flat hoods with a stronger dash-to-axle ratio is all the rage in design today, the XT5 (and quite a few other GM crossovers) look out of step with that trend. Ultimately the XT5 is also a budget-friendly luxury crossover, it's sold on value more than image.

all the rage huh? YET.. with pictures provided not more than a few posts above yours U make this statement as fact.. EVERY ONE of those vehicles pictures has similar dimensions and presence. The one not present in those pics is the Lincoln MKX or whatever they're calling it now.. is the epitome of bland and basic.

#40 ·
At the end of the day, its about healthy profits. XT5 has done for Cadillac what the SRX RWD could not do. As much as I dislike that fact, its reality.
Would I have loved to see the CTS Wagon as a tall X5 style SUV, yes, probably would have done better than the Crosstour SRX.. but then again, all the American self hate seems to be what Cadillac is saddled with...

They will have to work very hard to be considered hip across the board... in America.

#41 · (Edited)
Jesus Christ...I get it, I'm on several ignore lists, but freaking hell read my posts every once in a while, you might accidentally learn something...Stop conflating the Gen 1 SRX's failure while being RWD with because it was RWD...It failed because it was ungainly looking, it failed because it had a tupperware grade craptastic interior, it failed because it was expensive w/ those 2 qualities.

Also, stop it w/ the self hating American crap...Tesla is American, they sell, Escalade is American, it sells...maybe just maybe Cadillac needs to work on their image w/ their other cars.

#48 ·
I still cant believe you're championing that the XT5 is not bland looking. It's pretty borish (most of the class is) and even in the highest trim it feels dated. It's gonna be fun to see what Cadillac decides to do with the new model.

See, I've said that the new face makes it look nice but I can still be objective and call it bland at the same time, again, like most of the lower trim levels in this class.

#60 ·
Cadillac's Updated XT5 Doesn't Move the Needle
For the 2020 model year, Cadillac's best-selling model gets a facelift and several refinements that do little to alter its back-marker status.
Insert Toyota Highlander in that headline for the mainstream 3 row crossover market. Completely new for 2020. Lost every magazine head to head and multi competitor comparison. Called lackluster for the interior, third row so small you don't even want your kids back there, poor handling, poor real world fuel economy, etc. What's that get it in the real world?? Top seller in the three row crossover segment by a large margin.

The car magazines are great for enthusiasts just like CR is great for those wanting their opinion delivered not earned. The real world buyers buy for many more reasons than 0-60.

#64 ·
BMW X5 MSRP: $58,900
Cadillac XT5 MSRP: $44,095

X5 2019 sales: 54,595
XT5 2019 sales: 49,879

Yea....BMW must be doing something wrong. Don't look up the RX because they're doubling up the XT5. Yes, they sell double the amount as the XT5.

Plus, I already said it's a good looking vehicle but it's just a touch bland. Don't have to take it so far to try and prove me "wrong" or anything. I just think the wedge forward styling of it is old and meh at this point.

#65 ·
And U're entitled.. not trying to prove U wrong.. just giving my opinion as well Champ. I never said BMW was doing anything wrong.. in fact.. they are doing a lot right in terms of marketing.. but everyone has their day.. and for a long time Cadillac had their's as the #1.. Lot longer and more storied than BMW btw.

I will also point out that while the X5 was the goto SUV at BMW for mid AND large.. I wonder if the X7 will now cut into their sales for the X5. Probably.. no different than the Escalade and now XT6 pulling sales from the XT5.. which again.. as I pointed out about the XT6.. is an XT5-L.. and it yanked about 11K sales from the XT5 at that higher price point the X5 sells. Meaning the XT5/XT6 combo.. (and even U once argued that they were the same) came in above the X5, and for spit and giggles, X6 COMBINED

#76 · (Edited)
Of course people forget that Cadillac is not discount luxury like Lexus. True Car clearly shows Cadillacs are priced like BMW's and sell at similar volumes
Basic AWD With V6 No additional Options according to True Car
XT5 (Luxury) 54,147.00
RX 43,594.00
X5 58,007.00

MSRP is meaningless. What is the true price? Add those painted wheels to the Cadillac like that BMW has and it will sell for BMW prices.

Also, bear in mind this is the average pricing and Lexus does not have truecar dealership in the 92 area, but you could hammer down pricing on all these vehicle to get to pretty low, like 9% below MSRP is what True car considers best price to pay.

That is why average transaction price is what you should look at against volume, and then consider if a brand is a discount brand or not.

Cadillac's average is very good. Its not cheap to get into a Cadillac.

Lexus is grandma car brand, what Buick was for WW II Vets, Lexus is for Boomers.

Grand always pays low prices, always, she is on fixed income.

#77 ·
Of course people forget that Cadillac is not discount luxury like Lexus. True Car clearly shows Cadillacs are priced like BMW's and sell at similar volumes
Basic AWD With V6 No additional Options according to True Car
XT5 (Luxury) 54,147.00
RX 43,594.00
X5 58,007.00

MSRP is meaningless. What is the true price? Add those painted wheels to the Cadillac like that BMW has and it will sell for BMW prices.
How about basic AWD with no options according to CADILLAC:

Why lie and make up BS about an easily verifiable point? Regardless it's a stupid point, as we all ow GM overprices to give a 10-15% cushion that is usually negotiated off or incentivised off sticker price. Also the equivalent to the CT5 sport from Lexus would be their F Sport, which you knew already but apparently you have no intent to have this conversation honestly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.