GM Inside News Forum banner

should GM build the Chevelle?

17K views 47 replies 32 participants last post by  61695 
#1 · (Edited)
After looking at a thread in here from GMI editors, I was wondering what are peoples thoughts on GM possibly building the Chevelle. Should they do it? What would the impact be on the competition, or the on the Camaro? Do you think it would be a good idea to have a Corvette, a Camaro, and a Chevelle all on the same lot?

I think they should do it! However, do it right! Not like the GTO. IF they build it and it gets a SS sticker on it, IT BETTER BE GOOD! I am not saying that it has to be a 454 big block, but it better be good. If they did it right I think it would actually help Camaro sales and really hurt the Challenger and slightly hurt the Mustange.

What do you guys think?

#3 ·
GM DOES build the Chevelle. It's called "Malibu".

I think a good many of you look to the past through rose-tinted glasses. For every hot “Melba Toast” 454 SS Chevelle hardtop that rolled out of the factory, at least a dozen bench-seated, three-on-the-tree Chevelle grocery-getters found homes with buyers.

Elvis is dead. And so is the "muscle car". It's a bitter pill to swallow!

Though a production version of, say, the Chevrolet SS concept car, would be interesting!

:)

#14 ·
I don't see a real big market for the Chevelle. It would be nice to see it come back, but if it did I'm afraid it would go the route of the SSR. Limited availability, and probably way overpriced....

#16 ·
Yes they should, but only after the Camaro moves to Alpha. Oh, and only after Buick gets a RWD vehicle of some sort, Velite, RWD Park Avenue, just something, and Cadillac gets its flagship.

Then again, is there really a need for a Camaro and Chevelle? Its hard to say.

#18 ·
I think you make some good points. If the next gen Camaro actually becomes a pony car then I think there will be room for a larger RWD vehicle. As much as I like coupes the only way to really pull it off is having a sedan to go along with it much like the 300/Charger/Challenger.

Impalla would probably be a better name since they originally had both 2 and 4 doors available.

If Malibu wasn't used on the current midsizer you could have had a 2 door Chevelle with a 4 Door Malibu all being RWD on the same platform.

#20 ·
Are you talking like a performance coupe larger than the Camaro? Or 4 door? Wagon? Or more like a luxury coupe?

Aside from performance coupes there seems to be little market for them...note that the Monte Carlo was discontinued which is like the last larger, non-performance coupe I can think of

#25 ·
Next to the Tri-5's, the Chevelle is The most Iconic car in GM history period.
They Cannot screw this one up....

The Challenger IMO is not a Pony Car. Ya, they stick it in with the Camaro and Mustang but the Challenger is what a Modern day Chevelle Halo car should strive to be. You stick a brand new 2012 Chevelle on Chevy dealer lots that look like that 1970 pictured above, they wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.

I agree, move Camaro to Alpha and make it a proper pony car again in line with the 1967 original. Then do a halo Chevelle that tributes the past and represents the golden era of Chevrolet and muscle car history. Time to bring the glory days back for a new generation of kids before it's lost to history forever.

Here's what I think GM should do:

Take the upcoming 2012 Malibu which is larger than the Cruze and current Malibu and make it the new FWD Impala instead. Impala buyers have grown use to this.. Bring over the Zeta's and make Those the new 2012 Malibu's. 2 door, 4 door, wagon and El Camino. Then the Malibu name will be historically correct again. Give it an AWD option for current Malibu drivers who liked that FWD and want to stick with the nameplate instead of going to the Impala. Take the 2 door coupe and build a true to the original Chevelle off of the base. Make the body reminiscent of the 1970 SS style...

#26 ·
Just a couple comments on what a Chevelle is.

It's easy to think that most or all Chevelles were SS396 or SS454 cars because 40-45 years later, that's all we see survive. Most Chevelles were cheap 4 door transportation appliances. I'm not really sure how much equity there is in the Chevelle name, not that I mind if it ever comes back, I just think it's value as a brand is being overstated by some.

#30 ·
YES, if it's a 1968.

#32 ·
Those two pictures above this post are really good. They have the style to it. GM just needs to design it and do it. I said earlier that if they did build it that it would take some sales away from the challenger, but I think that it would also take some sales away from the imports. What do you guys think?

#36 ·
A Chevelle coupe would be to similar to the Camaro, at the moment. Although BMW does have the 3series coupe, and the 6series.

I could see down the road though, when Camaro moves to the smaller and lighter Alpha platform, that Zeta (Zeta III by then?) would still be around, and could spawn a coupe. Although I'd give a larger mid-size coupe to Buick. Revive the Riviera.
Then if GM is rolling in cash, they could offer a version to Chevy.

But I think the real question is if the 'Chevelle' nameplate will be used on the coming 'Chevy Commodore'. OR, if any future Chevy coupe would carry this name... If the Epsilon II Impala spawned an aggressively styled, AWD, twin-turbo, coupe, would the Chevelle name fit?

#37 ·
It depends...

If they are going to give the effort they gave the "GTO" then I say HELL NO.

If they can design something that has charisma and doesn't cost $50k, then I say go for it....Remember, Chevelle is a nameplate that brings emotion into the situation. The car must have strong emotional design. This is the risk you take by using a legendary nameplate. A G8 with a Chevy badge will not work if the name Chevelle is used.

#38 · (Edited)
The Silver one just might get me back into the showroom.
That silver one is damn hot.. The blue one ehhh, not so much. I could see the silver one selling big numbers IF it looked like that. GM has a bad habit of watering down production cars.

I could actually see a little 1970 Chevelle heritage being integrated into the silver one with the dual front headlights there and the back end taillights of the 1970 could be modernized as well and brought into that design theme/style. That would be one bad ass 2012 Chevelle for sure!! Modern yet hints of the classic Icon... :)

If that were done I would indeed purchase one.

#39 ·
Those photoshops look good, but it seems like some of you guys expect GM to sell essentially 2 near identical products. One labelled Camaro and the other Chevelle. Doesn't sound like a good business case to me.

#41 ·
Until the Camaro goes down in size, then there is no need for one. All Chevrolet would be doing is having two essentially full size coupes that compete with each other and do the same exact things -- just under a different name.

#43 ·
GM needs to bring out a model with the name Chevelle, perhaps a Chevelle SS. But only as part of a larger program: zeta sedans, coupes, utes and wagons.
The two door models could be coupes and convertibles, carrying the names Chevelle, Riviera and El Dorado, while the 4 doors would be Impala/Caprice, Road Master/Park Avenue/Invicta, and Sedan De Ville.
Wagons and utes could be El Caminos, Roadmasters, Estate Wagons and Sportwagons.
What GM needs to do is bring these zeta-derived modernized models out, including state of the art everything, and include an awd option as well.
Engines would range from an eAssist 2.4, to 3Liter, 3.6Liter and >6 liter V8s, as appropriate for each model. Include hybrid power to improve CAFE (turn head and spit!:mad::D) and sell them by the millions!;):)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.