GM Inside News Forum banner

Car and Driver 2010 Chevy Camaro V6 LT vs. 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 V6

8K views 60 replies 38 participants last post by  YEH 
#1 ·

#4 ·
Based on what I heard them say I thought the Camaro would've one by more than one point myself.

I've not seen the Genesis in real life - but compared to the Camaro it just seems somewhat generic out the outside and very generic interior. The Camaro may not have the most expensive materials - but at least it looks like thought was put into the design!

#3 ·
Not bad. Ya know as much as I like the Camaro, Im quite impressed with the Genesis Coupe since seeing it in action.

I expected the Genesis Coupe to be more refined but it seems these are not normal times and the 2010 V6 Camaro aint "normal" at all in the sense that it should the stereotypical slow assed V6 bottom feeder for yore.

I bet another automotive website will declare the Genesis a clear winner over the Camaro though, just wait for it.

#23 ·
I think edmunds and motortrend both did the comparison with the Camaro coming on top.

#6 ·
The Camaro should do exceptionally well. As a daily driver you don't want to be punished, and all the reviews point out that the suspension is adequately sporty while also adequately forgiving of what pass for "roads" around North America today.

I'm impressed with how well the Hyundai did. Not too fond of the styling, though.

Overall, the Camaro wins on style. It just looks great. And if GM can upgrade the interior in a couple of years and lighten it a bit it'll only get better.

I also think sheer nostalgia will win over a lot of buyers. I know it won me over.

#43 · (Edited)
I'm impressed with how well the Hyundai did. Not too fond of the styling, though.

Overall, the Camaro wins on style. It just looks great. And if GM can upgrade the interior in a couple of years and lighten it a bit it'll only get better.
Both the front of the Camaro and the GenCoupe are "off" (the Challenger, otoh, does it right).

Not sure if one can mod the Camaro's front fascia, but one can easily mod the Genesis' oddly-looking grille.

Genesis is nothing but your typical Korean copy of a German or Japanese car. Maybe be good but it screams poser el-cheapo Hyundia to me. The interior of the Genesis is surprisingly poor.
How exactly is it a copy?

And btw, the GenCoupe was designed by an American, Joel Piaskowski, and the Camaro was designed by a Korean-American, Sangyup Lee, who grew up in Korea.

Yeah, the interior isn't the greatest but what do you expect for a starting $22k pricepoint (remember, the G35 for a couple of years had a pretty chinzy interior and the G started at a $10k higher price-point).

The Camaro winning against a Korean G37 knockoff...not bad.
Does that mean the G37 is a Tiburon knockoff?

#8 ·
Surprising showing by the Genesis Coupe, though I'm glad the Camaro was given the nod. I have to tell you, and as others have mentioned, the Genesis has some real generic styling. GM engineers should take special shame that a friggen Hyundai beat the Camaro at the track, though!

And for all those who believe there's a grand conspiracy on the part of media to take out the domestic automakers, make note of the finish of this (and many other) comparo(s). When Detroit builds a better car, media will sing its praises.

#9 ·
I love that the V6 version is capable of a burnout like that and bark 'em in 2nd gear also! The fact that the Camaro won without the RS pkg is a testament to not having to have every option to still have a terrific car! I'd have to change those rims though! ;)

#10 · (Edited)
I've driven the Genesis in both V6 and I4 versions and its a fun car, but I didn't care for the interior. I'll take the Camaro any day, and as far as the interior goes, I don't expect it to be luxurious, especially at the price they are asking

If they are gonna do comparisons between the genesis and the camaro they should be base model against base model as well as pitting the optional motors against each other in the up-level cars

#12 ·
The joke of it is that the 3.8 track has a list price of wait for it

How much is a SS?

#26 ·
The joke of it is that the 3.8 track has a list price of wait for it

How much is a SS?
I am sure you can get a Mustang GT for a lot less than this right now. Yeah I know horse power blah blah blah styling blah blah blah. But you know what? I bet in 5 years the Chevy and the Hyundai will both be out of production (again for chevy). The Mustang always wins the sales war in the long run.

#13 ·
Car and Driver harping on GM interiors again. Notice that even though the Genesis had similar plastics, they focus more on the cheap plastics in the GM car. Also, the fact that the Genesis had "interesting compound shapes" gives them a pass on the interior. Please... if a GM car had that interior, they wouldn't be so kind and would probably mention the fact that it resembles the Infiniti G35 interior too much.

Well, the Camaro won, but you can tell that they aren't going to give them too much to celebrate about.

#14 ·
If GM could shave a few hundred pounds off the Camaro, they'd have an untouchable car in that segment. It's beautiful on the outside (interior, I'm not so thrilled with but is acceptable), RWD, has a potent V6, has a GREAT price. What's not to love?

I dream of what could have been if GM were a healthy car company.

The Genesis is really ugly. I do not like it at all. But I think they are onto something.

#57 ·
The "as-tested" prices differed by $1,100, not "several THOUSAND."

Amazing that C&D can totally tilt a comparison in the Camaros favor, and still many people here aren't happy.

Exclude the "gotta have it" score, and the Camaro lost this test. The objective and subjective performance scores all favor the Hyundai.

Details on how C&D tilted the test results here:

http://www.truedelta.com/blog/?p=362

Some people aren't going to like what I've written here. But where is the analysis incorrect?

#17 ·
31 grand for the 426hp v8 camaro and 29 grand for a hyundai v6?

isn't the camaro v6 starting price 23 grand?

and the 29 grand Hundai didn't even win?

#19 ·
i absalutely LOVE the Genisis. in fact the real deal with the Genisis is the 2.0 Turbo track addition. same engine as the new EVO with a simpler ECU to crack. supposedly 300+ is just a good tune away! as much as it pains me to say so, i like the Genisis better vs the v6 camaro. as much as i LOVE the new Camaro, 6 cylinders and "Camaro" have next to ZERO appeal to me.

#24 ·
your crazy! :eek:

#22 ·
Never trust these "kids" that the media labels as "critics" or "experts". How many vehicles have they actually "lived" with? That is, pulling the car out of a unexpected but compromising driving situation numerous times or performing their own maintenance in their own shop or garage. They were brought up on the same hype that they support; that is Asian preferences from the media and will always be biased against American engineering. Credit should be given where credit is due. Expect a large amount of Camaro bashing from these "experts".

P.S. The owner's reviews will be the true, unbiased test.

#40 ·
what about the g8 with the 3.6 its going to get??
i mean for the folks who wouldnt buy the camaro v6, isnt the g8 one similiar in HP?

#47 ·
Now we need to see a Mustang GT (non $34,000 track pack equipped) vs V6 Camaro comparison.

#50 ·
It's not always about pure power/acceleration or track times.

The M5 still has better handling/driver feedback than the CTS-V (tho, not worth the diff. in price).

Tis a pity that the CTS-V doesn't have more of the feel of the larger G8 GXP - which really comes close to the driving dynamics of BMW (if it did, the CTS-V would go from very, very good to great).

#51 ·
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I just recieved the June issue of C&D and the Camaro won simply because of the "Experience" factor by 4 points (40 versus 36). In the "Vehicle" category, the Genesis won by 1 Point (79 versus 78). In the "Powertrain", they were tied (44 each) and in the "Chassis", the Genesis won by 2 Points (43 versus 41).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.