GM Inside News Forum banner

Chevy vs GMC vs Ram and More! What’s Quicker, a Gas or Diesel Pickup Truck?

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Neanderthal 
#1 ·
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 vs GMC Sierra vs Ram Rebel (and more) Drag Race!
Which new pickup truck is quicker and by how much? This is why we drag race trucks! This time, it’s about 2020 GM gas V8s and half-ton turbo-diesels! There is also a surprise truck joining at the end.

The first bracket race is between a 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 Trail Boss with a 5.3-liter V8 / 10-speed automatic versus a 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 RST with a 6.2-liter V8 / 10-speed automatic. It’s 5.3L V8 vs 6.2L V8! We know that the big V8 is quicker, but we need to get a proper 0-60 MPH time and drag race to see if this Silverado RST is the quickest GM truck we have ever tested.

As always, our test track is IMI Motorsports in Dacono, Colorado. The track is at about 1-mile above sea level, and the air density is about 17% less than at sea level.

Article and video at link: https://www.tfltruck.com/2020/02/chevy-vs-gmc-vs-ram-and-more-whats-quicker-a-gas-or-diesel-pickup-truck-lets-drag-race-and-find-out-video/

#3 ·
There should be a reminder for anyone who is watching this video, TFL typically tests at a mile high and at that altitude engines using forced induction has an advantage over engines without it. So turbo diesels and Fords ecoboost V-6 has an advantage there over the normally aspirated V-8 engines, in other words if the diesels win at this altitude at sea level they are likely not to win.

#6 ·
I will state, without hesitation (NPI) or equivocation, that the quicker truck will be quicker. :drive:

Reactions: Mr.Buttons
#8 ·
The 5.3L was a dog in this test. I've never liked the way GM tunes it (for FE), but at altitude its pretty bad. Turbo engines definitely have an advantage up there. (I have personally experienced this)

Reactions: richmond2000
#9 ·
Diesels just have much more better lower down torque where it matters the most to pull heavier loads that better gives more smoother pull aways with heavy loads at lower speeds, not really bothered about high speeds a pick-up was never designed to win Le Mans, only an idiot would want to drive around like that on roads at high speeds, l simply don't drive like around like that mad in the real world in a truck l have responsibilities to the road users, l just chug along safely at the speed limits watching the world go by safely, that said the new GM diesel sounds like a fantastic new truck.

Sadly superb GM diesels trucks like this will sadly will become dinosaurs past 2035 killed off by Government/EPA legislation . Sounds like a fantastic do anything truck, sadly your Government will hate them won't like them, will be the big diesel truck party poopers sad to say, l can see it coming.

#17 ·
Which is quicker, gas or electric? Which is quicker, turbo four or V-6?

I would have to answer yes to both those questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.