2020 Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV: What to Expect

17K views 61 replies 23 participants last post by  EJD1984 
#1 ·
2020 Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV: What to Expect
Automobilemag
September 6, 2017
By: Automobile Staff
Illustrated by: Radovan Varicak

Lincoln is just now launching the third Navigator to be equipped with an independent rear suspension, and yet we’ve got a couple years before Cadillac finally responds with IRS and/or air suspension in its much-anticipated fifth-generation Escalade. Despite having most of the decade to develop the ’20 Escalade—the “all-new” 2015 model was more an evolutionary update of the ’07, hobbled by General Motors’ 2009 bankruptcy —it is rumored that company brass approved ditching the solid rear axle on its most profitable model late in the program. So the Escalade, its long-wheelbase ESV variant, and the less-expensive Chevrolet Tahoe/Suburban and GMC Yukon/XL brethren finally will offer a flat cargo floor. No more lifting out the heavy third seat before you head to Target.
The new Escalade is expected to be one of the first Cadillacs equipped with the new 4.0-liter double-overhead-cam V-8 to which the Escala concept alluded. Like the next-generation pickups and SUVs, it has been in development for much of the decade, and it’s not clear how quickly the twin-cam will replace the small-block (which will then be 65 years old) in GM’s narrowing V-8 lineup. We do know the Escalade’s V-8, whichever engine, will be paired with a 10-speed automatic added last year, and that rear- and four-wheel drive will be offered. Don’t be surprised to see a plug-in hybrid variant possibly as early as the second model year.

See less See more
#3 ·
If they fix the 3rd row and the column shifter, that's a big improvement in my book. I'd prefer air suspension over MRC, but I am doubtful that they would actually make the switch.

Plus fix the vibration issue if they haven't already.

#14 ·
I'd prefer air suspension over MRC, but I am doubtful that they would actually make the switch.
Air probably makes more sense for the Escalade but I personally prefer MRC by a huge margin. The balance of ride quality and handling you get with MRC is hard to beat.

#11 ·
Aren't coming out with another 3 row SUV as well? XT8? That might be a good fit for the turbo V8.

I agree, don't screw up the Escalade. IRS, updated technology, maybe more power train options above the current 6.2L V8, etc.

Oh, and that SUV pictured in the opening post is hideous. I sure hope it looks nothing like that.

#15 ·
I love these "what to expect" articles. As if they have some kind of inside knowledge...More like what THEY expect! Also, I hate it when they take a current vehicle and try and mess with it to make it look like a future model. I'm sure the next 'Slade will look NOTHING like that!

#17 ·
The new Escalade will look something like that, yes. It's not wildly different from the current one.

I don't think it's going to be a direct transplant of the Escala interior, but apparently you'll see Escala. Similar screens for the driver, but shifter from XT5/LaX.

#46 ·
gm seems to be gun-shy when it comes to putting a TTV6 into the XT5,
perhaps painful memories of the past urge caution.

Seriously what block head at GM thought it a good idea to keep theTTV6s so exclusive
that buyers aren't showing any real interest. It's like GM doesn't want to sell them anyway.

#53 ·
I was looking at a new Audi Q5 at work today. I'm guessing it wasn't one of the top models as it didn't have much in the way of brightwork, but comparing it to the XT5 premium (imho) it looks lackluster. The Blue XT5 that I mentioned a few post back is beautifully done.

Exterior fit and finish on this XT5 is a match for any of the German competitors, and just the way all of styling is so well considered and executed is really impressive. Cadillac just needs a more expansive range.

A hybrid and an SQ5 competitor would be a nice start. I have a hunch that early in 2019 it'll get an MCE to bring it inline with the next iteration of A & S that'll feature on XT4, XT6 and probably the facelifted CT6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.