GM Inside News Forum banner

'70-'81 Second Generation Camaro Owners

14K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Zspoiler 
#1 · (Edited)
Post your pictures, history, mods, etc of your past or present second gens!

See less See more
#4 ·
I was going to start a thread for all years of Firebirds, but I didn't because of the Firebird thread in the Pontiac forum.

#7 ·
Here are a few pics and background on my Camaro Z28 Prototype:

To compete with the Macho TAs in the 70's that were terrorizing the streets, DKM partnered with Chapman Chevrolet to produce the Macho Z, the Chevy half of the F-body dynamic duo from DKM. In preparation for the 1979 model year, a single 1978 Z-28 Camaro Prototype was converted to a Macho Z.

The Macho Z pictured here is the original 1978 prototype built by DKM for Chapman Chevrolet that was featured in Hot Rod Magazine in 1978 and road tested by industry legend Dave Wallace. It was the only 1978 Macho Z-28 built and has survived after all these years with it's original drive train, koni shocks, dual cat exhaust, Hurst-T shifter and chrome roll bar.

This One of One prototype Z28 is accompanied with a letter of authenticity from Dennis Mecham, GM records, all invoices, build sheet, Hot Rod Magazine License Plate, owner’s manual packet and of course a September 1978 issue of Hot Rod Magazine, and other magazine features including the -Throwback- story in Muscle Car Review-July 2014.

You can check out more info on DKM, the Camaro Macho Z28 prototype, and my Macho Trans Am:

http://machoz28prototype.wix.com/dkm-cars

Here are a few pics of the Z:

Here is the car back in September of 1978, road tested by Dave Wallace in Hot Rod Magazine:

#14 ·
I remember reading that in Hot Rod like it was yesterday. I think Dave Wallace got it into the 14's? I was simply thrilled with the car's badassery, (for it's day).

#9 ·
This is a quickie 71 I did a couple years ago. Neighbor had it, and I had a bunch of spare parts laying around so I was able to do this one quickly and cheaply. Added a 350/4 speed, body/paint, wheels, and finished the interior.

This is a 71 I've had for over 10 years now, patiently waiting it's turn, but only because this will be my all out, no budget spared radical race/pro-touring car. Gen IV LS, 6 speed, hand built interior, possible widebody plus other extensive body modifications.

The 71 Camaro (among others) has been pushed back after I bought my dream car earlier this year, a 71 Firebird. It came with a 455, and I've already got full Ridetech suspension. Other plans include 18" billet Pontiac Rally's, EFI, Vintage air, 4th gen Trans Am seats, Anvil Carbon fiber Formula hood, and much more. Car is not stripped to a shell in bare metal. I hope to have it shiny, and done in April 2016.

#10 ·
This is a quickie 71 I did a couple years ago. Neighbor had it, and I had a bunch of spare parts laying around so I was able to do this one quickly and cheaply. Added a 350/4 speed, body/paint, wheels, and finished the interior.

Those early steel bumper, big mouth grill, and non-wrap around rear window Camaros are among the best designs to ever come out of GM! I'm a Ford guy and while I respect what GM has accomplished with the F-Bodies the only Camaro I would ever own would be a 70-73! Beautiful design!!

#15 ·
My 71 Bird looks a bit different today.

Reactions: Z284ever
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.