GM Inside News Forum banner

7th Gen Camaro Thoughts

19K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  SierraGS 
#1 ·
I've been thinking recently about the next-gen Camaro and what we may get.

If the Kia Stinger and Buick Regal hatchbacks are relatively successful in the midst of the SUV craze, hopefully that will have enough of an influence to the hatch to return on the Camaro.

I also suspect the with the wildly successful Buick Avista, the next Camaro may have a more of a flowing design that can also easily facilitate a hatchback layout.

#4 ·
I think the time is right for a change in what a pony car is. I know for several people a pony car has to be a specific layout, etc., but I think it is important to be flexible with the definition. We already see pony car sales are a small fraction of what they were 20+ years ago and we also see a huge shift from cars to CUV's. I think it's time for the Camaro to shift to a roomier format. It needs to stay on a rwd platform, big engine and affordable entry price, but the small size just isn't working anymore.

#6 ·
I believe the trunk was chosen for mass and rigidity considerations, though .
If that's the case, perhaps they can offer both options like they did with the old Nova's. I realize the added costs but if the hatch was on the more affordable volume models and the fixed trunk was only available on the highest performance models perhaps they could make the costs worthwhile.

Reactions: rockyspaw
#7 ·
I would make some suggestions, but really don't need the frustration of GM refusing to listen to any suggestions outside of more of the same and insisting on forcing buyers to buy what they are going to build - take it or leave it.

Of course there has been a reason that the only way GM moves the Camaro (and the other Chevy Cars) is with non-stop 20% off give away pricing.

BTW, I do have more ideas than just offering a lower priced V8 model and will just make those suggestions to companies (FCAU and Ford) that have proven they actually care and not only listen to potential buyers but build what THE BUYERS WANT. Be nice to see something I would actually buy get built for a change - still might buy a Challenger or Mustang and will never consider a Camaro.

#8 ·
I think GM overprices the cars on purpose so that they can run their 20% off sales. In a prior thread I just documented how I got 38% off a Buick LaCrosse.

It's nice for the educated buyer that knows when to look to buy a car, but sucks for the average customer.

Reactions: SierraGS
#11 ·
Personally I think a decade plus of retro is enough, and it's time to go in a new direction.

#13 · (Edited)
Right, I want the basic profile of the 2nd gen, but it doesn't have to have the exact styling cues to represent the 2nd gen; actually, avoid making it look like the 2nd gen.

I always liked the '68/'69 Camaro body, before they came out with the Gen 6; after, not so much, they ruined it for me.

Long hood, generous radii, and not sharp angles, 2+2 seating with minimal back seat, shorter rear deck, slight muscular bulging around the wheel openings, tapered at front and rear from above.

Google 'pininfarina images' for the swoopier rounded look of some of the pics.

Avista-esque with a more wedged front end.

Ferrari did it well a couple of times, i.e. F12 Berlinetta profile, not the sculpting or rear treatment.

Pininfarina

#19 ·
Once the corvette completes its transformation to a rear mid engine sports car we will hopefully see a new 7 th gen camaro styled along the lines of the ferrari portifino 2 plus 2...

Creating a passionate desire to own a specialty product is key to achieving unit and pricing success in each market segment...

The evolutionary styling of the 6 th gen should have been successful yet in fact it was so close to the fifth gen the owners of the fifth gen for the most oart said to themselves they will just mod their current rides a littke and save a boatload of cash...

The weird mid cycle refresh wont help and their will ve a crash program to update to the 7 th gen...

A 2 plus 2 looking like a ferrariportifino would set sales records on fire.

The alpha platform is an excellent performer..

#20 ·
#21 ·
Camaro has the advantage of not having to follow any set in stone design like the Mustang is all but required to do. I would like to see a 7th Gen Camaro that had no visual connection to it's past, something fresh, modern, but not look like it was designed by the producers of the Transformers movies. The Mustang is iconic and with that comes greater mind share, assuming they don't stray too far from it roots. The only thing retro about a 7th Gen Camaro should be a return to it's true pony car roots!

#22 · (Edited)

This was my photoshopped version of the Buick Avista as a Camaro. I tried to add cues from the 2nd gen and 3rd gen Camaro's. I stretched the backseat area, made the rear more squared off to add the rear hatch like the Buick Regal. The 2nd gen cues are the large front grille intake and the split chrome trim (bumpers) as well as the small louver behind the front wheels and overall shape of the car. The 3rd gen cues come from the squared headlights, the black ring around them, the large rear hatch, and the rear blade spoiler.

The lower belt line, more sophisticated upscale euro look, bigger back seat, and more usable trunk should attract more buyers who are looking for a more user/everyday friendly 2 door muscle car.

#24 ·
View attachment 41295

This was my photoshopped version of the Buick Avista as a Camaro. I tried to add cues from the 2nd gen and 3rd gen Camaro's. I stretched the backseat area, made the rear more squared off to add the rear hatch like the Buick Regal. The 2nd gen cues are the large front grille intake and the split chrome trim (bumpers) as well as the small louver behind the front wheels and overall shape of the car. The 3rd gen cues come from the squared headlights, the black ring around them, the large rear hatch, and the rear blade spoiler.

The lower belt line, more sophisticated upscale euro look, bigger back seat, and more usable trunk should attract more buyers who are looking for a more user/everyday friendly 2 door muscle car.
that looks like a Hyundai

#26 ·
It can't be butchered like that photoshop (no offense) but the Buick Avista would be a great starting point. The Camaro has to be more upright, more visible, more room, while still being more then an American Civic Type R. It must stay a muscle car, but not a cartoon like it has become.

The Mustang can pull off more upright seating and better visibility while still maintaining the classic Mustang look. Camaro can too.

Also, at the prices they are selling them at, GM can afford to make a larger Camaro with lighter materials that maintains performance. Gen 5 was a pig but outsold the Mustang. Gen 6 shrank too much, and Gen 5 was already cramped. I bought a Gen 5 and could live with it, but I am 5 foot 7 and the Gen 6 makes me claustrophobic.

#27 ·
Its not the size or the seating or visability of the 6 th gen...the sixth gen is hot looking and fast and proced well..

Its too evolutionary in design...

Make the car sexier looking like a ferrari portifino and watch them fly off the dealers lots...

With the corvette going rear mid engine thats what i would do but since gm doesnt isten to us...

We will just have to wait and see...

Sports cars/pony cars/ muscle cars are about compromise for the sale of styling...

If you want a bmw m4 buy one...

If want a huge cheap muscle car buy a challenger ...

Want an american icon pony buy a mustang...

The camaro jow has room to evolve into an american ferrari portifino...

That has to be one of the most beautiful vehciles and its ferraris best seller at 210 thousand dollars...

Whowouldnt buy a look a like that performed almost as well in zl1 form and yet cost 60 grand?

Retro is dead...been there and done that...

Time for gm styling to have some guts and take the camaro to new heights..

Jmo

#33 ·
Shut down the plant and discontinue the Camaro...nobody wants CARS anymore!:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.