GM Inside News Forum banner

Camaro Prototypes

18K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  EJD1984 
#1 ·
Chevrolet Camaro XP-836 - 1964 1

Chevrolet Camaro XP-836 - 1964 2

The overall design would eventually be used for the 1970 Chevrolet Malibu/Chevelle

Chevrolet Camaro Nomad 1965

Chevrolet Camaro 1966

Two Seat Proposal

Chevrolet Camaro Aero Coupe - 1967

Chevrolet Camaro 1969

Chevrolet Camaro Italiante 1969

Chevrolet Camaro Italiante 1969

Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta 1970

Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta 1970

Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback - 1970

Chevrolet Camaro Wagon - 1970

Chevrolet Camaro Wagon 1970

Chevrolet Camaro Wagon 1970

Chevrolet Camaro 1975 (3rd-Gen)

Scale Model Design Study

Chevrolet Camaro 1976 (3rd-Gen)

*Mid-Engine Scale Model Proposal

Chevrolet Camaro 1977 (3rd-Gen)

Chevrolet Camaro 1978 (3rd-Gen)

Chevrolet Camaro 1980

Chevrolet Camaro 1985

*FWD GM80 Program

Chevrolet Camaro 1985

*FWD GM80 Program

Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z 1992

Chevrolet Camaro F-14 Tomcat 1992

Chevrolet Camaro GMX-282 2005

Bonus
Chevrolet XP-837 (Mini Camaro) - 1967

*This program led to the Chevrolet Vega

I'm sure there are dozens we've never seen.

See less See more
#3 ·
Chevrolet Camaro 1969
Chevrolet Camaro Wagon - 1970
Superb! I like the color and wheels on this version and the forward slope of the rear hatch. I also like this picture because I can see Carlos Ghosn in the background waving his arms! :eek:

Bonus
Chevrolet XP-837 (Mini Camaro) - 1967
*This program led to the Chevrolet Vega
Superb! I wonder what a modern production version of this would look like.

#7 ·
Where are these pictures from? I particularly love that blue Camaro Wagon concept.

#15 ·

This car, GMX-282. This was to be the 5th gen Camaro, well actually the Camaro replacement, possibly called Chevelle. This was during the "gag order" period, when you could not even speak the name Camaro officially, due to political wrangling after the St. Therese plant shutdown.

During this period about a dozen or so of us were having breakfast in Bowling Green with Scott Settlemire. Now, those who know Scott can vouch that he always had a positive attitude during that whole Camaro hiatus period. He was always preaching, "Keep The Faith". That breakfast was different. It seemed like the above abomination was destined for production and would carry the Chevelle name, no less. That's the first time I'd seen him negative. It's like the life was sucked out of him. He told us that he had nothing good to report and he and the rest of us would disappointed with what was then called GMX-282.

Thank heaven people like Lutz and the 2005 Mustang's success put this pig out of it's misery.

Reactions: SierraGS
#16 ·
Chevrolet Camaro 1985

*FWD GM80 Program

Chevrolet Camaro 1985

*FWD GM80 Program

You guys notice any similarities between what was to be GM80 and the 4th gen F-car? Ever wonder why it had such crazy long front and rear overhangs and acres of space between the nose and engine?

#20 ·
One more rarest Camaro prototype. http://www.superchevy.com/features/...ossram-check-out-the-rarest-1969-camaro-ever/

Sitting proudly in the super-clean engine bay is the only known surviving all-aluminum, Hemi 302 crossram in existence. It appears that some of the folks at Chevrolet’s engineering department were thinking to the future by using existing technology available at the time. The O- prototype, 327 block is straight from Zora Arkus-Duntov’s Grand Sport Corvette closet. Screw-in freeze plugs have been welded into the block to guard against possible failure caused by the high temperatures encountered during racing. The crankshaft and connecting rods are stock (but heavily massaged) 302 items held in by four-bolt main caps. Cooling is provided through a GM prototype aluminum water pump. The head package has its own unique story, which is steeped in Chevy engineering history with a twist of Daytona Beach.

According to Wayne Guinn of Guinn’s Engineering, the Hemi-head package was originally developed in 1968 as an answer to Ford’s invincible 302 engine program. However, early SCCA Trans-Am results proved Ford was not as invincible as once thought. The Hemi-head package consisted of special pistons, aluminum heads, magnesium valve covers, unique crossram intake with two Holley 4295 carbs flowing 585 cfm each, and a special hemi camshaft, which was more akin to its big-block cousins. All of these parts carry Chevrolet Engineering’s O- numbers, which again signify these parts as strictly prototypical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.