Why hybrids often deliver lower mpg than advertised

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why hybrids often deliver lower mpg than advertised

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Automotive News
    August 16, 2013
    by Richard Truett

Because of hybrids' complex powertrains and other factors, the gap between real-world fuel economy and the window label is often greater than it is with vehicles powered by conventional gasoline or diesel engines.

Here are a few factors that can cause these gaps:

Temperature: Winter-blend gasoline contains additives that lower the fuel's freezing point and allow for faster engine warm-ups. Winter-blend gasoline contains less energy than summer blends, causing fuel economy to drop. And drivers in cold weather tend to use more energy-gobbling accessories such as seat heaters, window defrosters and heated outside mirrors.

Vehicle condition: New vehicles with few miles use more energy until the moving parts have a small amount of wear. After about 5,000 miles, vehicles begin to deliver better fuel economy.

Top speed: Most hybrids tend to get better fuel economy in stop-and-go city driving, in which the electric motor does much of the work.

Driving style: To achieve EPA-beating fuel economy, many hybrids must be driven at speeds at or below posted limits, especially on the highway, with the air conditioner off and with careful attention to acceleration and braking.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Why hybrids often deliver lower mpg than advertised

I coulda told you this.

I like to call these vehicles "hype-brids."

For the best fuel economy, best to get a subcompact car with a frugal gasoline engine.

Like a Sonic or Spark.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,803 Times in 1,287 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

hybrids are MORE sensitive to how they are driven and often "GAMED" to get NICE numbers VS normal cars that can be efficient in NON ideal conditions
    I have had both a CIVIC Hybrid and a Prius Hybrid as loaner cars and got close to the "sticker" but lived where it was imposable to do more then 55 mph
    ^^ and 40 -50 MPG CITY is a BIG difference from 30 MPG CITY ^^

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar MechEng's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

This is another reason why I like Voltec. Though the battery thermal management does make the Volt sensitive to freezing temperatures the Volt is not very sensitive to other factors. While electric cars are backwards from gas vehicles (more efficient in city driving) I have found that driving the same route aggressively in a Volt doesn't have a huge impact on energy use (I don't have to baby the car to exceed EPA estimates).
    See my cars stats below Hidden Content
    2018 Volt - Hidden Content
    2018 Bolt EV - Hidden Content

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,687 Times in 2,392 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

At constant highway speed, the ability of hybrids to capture and release enery is greatly reduced
    and n fact, Ford's hybrids using a second motor in an Electronic CVT will tend to use more fuel.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC cp-the-nerd's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Malibu LT V6

Hybrid fuel economy ratings are just an expansion on the numbers game manufacturers use on automatic transmissions to get higher EPA estimates than manuals.

In real world driving, manual transmissions are severely underrated, automatic transmissions barely achieve their ratings (if at all), and hybrids fall flat on their face, rarely breaking the magic 40 mpg number that advertisements so proudly display.
    Hidden Content
    14.36 1/4 mi @ 98.0 mph (Tuned)
    Real World FE: 18/29 mpg

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC cp-the-nerd's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Malibu LT V6

What needs to happen is an all new testing procedure from the ground up that cannot be cheated or gamed.
    Hidden Content
    14.36 1/4 mi @ 98.0 mph (Tuned)
    Real World FE: 18/29 mpg

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

The real question is why should the public ever accept "the gap". This isn't the "settled" volume of a box of cereal here. It's well over $20,000.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

My mom's been driving a Prius for about a year now and she consistently beats the EPA estimates—more like 56 in the city than 51. The key is that it offers constant feedback about how you're driving. Granted, she beats the estimates in her other car (a Focus) too, so driving style is really the most important part of this equation. Drive it like you care about the mileage you're getting, and a hybrid will beat the EPA estimates handily (so long as they don't turn out to be wrong.)

Thanks

I don't think Hybrids are any different than any other vehicle on hitting or missing the rating. The thing that's makes it so is that every Hybrid buyer is about mileage, where only some of the regular vehicle buyers are so more noise is made about economy on Hybrids than others.

Also lets say your driving style makes a 10% reduction city due to quick acceleration. On a Taurus (19 MPG city) that 10% costs 2 MPG, noticeable, but not something to make people go crazy. Now if you're driving a Fusion Hybrid, that's 5 MPG (47 MPG city), and that gets people far more wound up despite being the same % of loss.

I've been watching C-Max's come in for oil changes since the announcement and have seen 4. Gas mileage by the screens have been 42, 43, 46 and 50. The higher two I know drive for mileage and had the A/C off and windows down, the first two I know just drive the car like any other. The one at 43 said he took a trip the week before and running 75 on the interstate it dropped to 39.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Most hybrids tend to get better fuel economy in stop-and-go city driving, in which the electric motor does much of the work.
    This is why they shouldn't be allowed to use the carpool lanes!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    Automotive News
    August 16, 2013
    by Richard Truett

Because of hybrids' complex powertrains and other factors, the gap between real-world fuel economy and the window label is often greater than it is with vehicles powered by conventional gasoline or diesel engines.

Here are a few factors that can cause these gaps:

Temperature: Winter-blend gasoline contains additives that lower the fuel's freezing point and allow for faster engine warm-ups. Winter-blend gasoline contains less energy than summer blends, causing fuel economy to drop. And drivers in cold weather tend to use more energy-gobbling accessories such as seat heaters, window defrosters and heated outside mirrors.

Vehicle condition: New vehicles with few miles use more energy until the moving parts have a small amount of wear. After about 5,000 miles, vehicles begin to deliver better fuel economy.

Top speed: Most hybrids tend to get better fuel economy in stop-and-go city driving, in which the electric motor does much of the work.

Driving style: To achieve EPA-beating fuel economy, many hybrids must be driven at speeds at or below posted limits, especially on the highway, with the air conditioner off and with careful attention to acceleration and braking.

Full article at link.
    Sorry, but the current EPA tests DOES include operation with A/C on and operating: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
    Last edited by 70AARCUDA; 08-17-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    • 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    • 2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    • 2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

• 1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    • 1970½ Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    • 1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    • 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 4M
    • 1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 273 4M

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,178 Times in 4,401 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Diesels as a class are the only group that regularly exceeds EPA guesstimates.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Diesels as a class are the only group that regularly exceeds EPA guesstimates.
    That's probably because EPA hasn't discovered how to screw-up diesel-engine efficiency (yet)...but they're "...trying..."!
    • 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    • 2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    • 2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

• 1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    • 1970½ Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    • 1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    • 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 4M
    • 1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 273 4M

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Current 8/17/13 Ford C-Max and Fusion Hybrid rating and experience data for what its' worth ...

It does make one wonder if OEMs ever compare development and preproduction road test fuel economy data to proposed EPA rating results before submitting values to EPA and their advertising group.
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information