What-old GM electric cars (well trucks) still exist in public hands!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: What-old GM electric cars (well trucks) still exist in public hands!

Thanks

What-old GM electric cars (well trucks) still exist in public hands!

I thought this write-up in Newsday was interesting. Apparently there are still a few fully electric S-10 pickups still running around. With the pull back and crushing of the EV1, I had no idea that these still existed! However, someone not to far from my residence uses one as his personal auto for his daily commute.

I bet GM wishes these could be produced today--they would probably sell everyone they could make!

The truck is a Chevrolet S-10 pick-up, factory-built in 1998.

Introduced in 1997 and discontinued in 1998, less than 500 of the trucks were ever built -- and most of them were sold as fleet vehicles. It was part of a generation of 1990s electric vehicles that included the GM Impact, Chrysler TEVan, Ford Ranger EV pick-up, Honda EV Plus, Toyota RAV4 EV and The lithium-battery-powered Nissan Altra EV. All were short-lived.
    Full article:

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny...tory?track=rss

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,371 Posts

Re: What-old GM electric cars (well trucks) still exist in public hands!

An all electric truck/van makes more sense to me than a car since it can be used for fleets and delivery returning to a central location for recharging eliminating the recharging infrastructure problems and minimizing the electric demand drain on the grid since the fleets can recharge at low use periods opposed to individuals who will mainly recharge when conveinient.

GM should make a Colorado version of the old S-10 put it in a broad range of fleet environments and use it for a battery test bed for the Volt/PHEV.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Wasn't the truck bed used for the battery?

I imagine they could put the Volt- e-Flex system into a Colorado and use it for fleet sales (meter maids, delivery trucks, anyone?)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

[QUOTE=GMC-70;1425040]I thought this write-up in Newsday was interesting. Apparently there are still a few fully electric S-10 pickups still running around. With the pull back and crushing of the EV1, I had no idea that these still existed! However, someone not to far from my residence uses one as his personal auto for his daily commute.

I bet GM wishes these could be produced today--they would probably sell everyone they could make!

They can be produced today. Here's a link to a conversion kit, knock your socks off

http://canev.com/KitsComp/index.html

Thanks

Got heard about newest Chevy Volt concept that is much more enticing for me. This one has a NiMH battery that would provide 25 to 30 mile range in electric-only mode. Why just not go to a technology that is presently available?

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information