Washington Plans Its Own Electric Highway

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washington Plans Its Own Electric Highway

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Washington Plans Its Own Electric Highway

CHRISTINE NEGRONI
    NT Times

Autophiles can be forgiven if the words “West Coast highway” bring to mind the Pacific Coast Highway through California, a route so famous that National Geographic places it among its “Drives of a Lifetime.”

But if transportation officials in Washington State have their way, the Pacific Coast Highway will be eclipsed, at least in environmental correctness, by the West Coast Green Highway.

Earlier this week, Gov. Chris Gregoire of Washington announced that the state would install electric car charging stations along the length of Interstate 5 so that electric car owners would be able to drive not just around town, but the full 276 miles from its border with Canada to its border with Oregon. The stations are to be financed by $1.3 million in federal stimulus money.

The goal is to place public-access electric vehicle fast-charge stations every 40 to 60 miles by the end of 2010.

“What we’re trying to do is have the infrastructure in place so car manufacturers are going to want to deploy them here,” said Tonia Buell, a spokeswoman for Washington’s Department of Transportation.

Residents of the state are enthusiastic users of alternative energy vehicles, Ms. Buell said, as demonstrated by the fact that it is among the top three states in hybrid car popularity, according to hybridcars.com.

Earlier this year, Washington joined Oregon, California and British Columbia in agreeing to work together to turn I-5 in a 1,350-mile green highway by establishing recharging stations and distribution of alternative fuels along its length.

Placement of the 7 to 10 stations planned will be on private property and will require some thought to necessary amenities like restrooms, lighting and proximity to the appropriate electrical service. Because fast-charge stations take 15-30 minutes to charge an electric vehicle, consideration will also be given to what activities are on hand nearby to keep the electric vehicle owners occupied during the wait.

Most people charge their cars at home, but they may take longer trips if they know charging stations are available.” Ms. Buell said. “The electric vehicles are going to start rolling in and we want to be ready.”

Article link:
    http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...ay/#more-60807

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Sonic

Re: Washington Plans Its Own Electric Highway

maybe not the right 'forum' but I thought this was news worth. Very intresting that they are doing this. Maybe this is a turning point and now everyone believes that plug-in's are the future!
    SANITIZED: for your viewing pleasure

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    Because fast-charge stations take 15-30 minutes to charge an electric vehicle, consideration will also be given to what activities are on hand nearby to keep the electric vehicle owners occupied during the wait.
    What electric car in production or in planning stages can be charged in 15 to 30 minutes?

Try none.

Do the people who write articles like this or make these types of decsions on infrustructure do any research? Its seems these people are living in a world of science fiction.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I think this is great news, especially since so much work is being done to generate the power sans coal or nukes, like thorium reactors.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,422 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Well, I hope they open doughnut shops on those highways becouse Leaf and Tesla owners will be getting to know each other, as volt drivers pass em by...

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,182 Times in 4,405 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Chris Gregoire is your textbook leftie greenie political hack.
    The state is in hock up to its ears, the legislature ignored a citizens' initiative that limits spending.
    http://www.effwa.org/commentaries/2005_03_24.php
    In other words, an outlaw government. The people be damned.

But in breaking the law and spending the green stuff, at least they're GOING GREEN.
    No worries, it's "stimulus money!" FREE MONEY.

Leadership, it's a wonderful thing to see in action.

http://hrc.leg.wa.gov/news/budget-ta...ative-session/

http://www.bizcoachinfo.com/archives/tag/i-601
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 07-02-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,567 Times in 1,245 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Is this a joke? This is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of. You drive 40 miles, then stop and charge, then drive 40 more miles? Sounds like a blast!!!

What a complete waste of tax dollars...
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

1G6
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member 1G6's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, who would want a gas station at every exit?

Do you people even think before spouting the party rhetoric?
    2008 Buick Lucerne CXL - Hidden Content
    1994 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency - Hidden Content
    1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - Hidden Content

Thanks

From what I see, you would not stop every 40 miles to charge, but when you need to. The Leaf and other coming electrics seem to have a range of 100 or more miles. Plus I can imagine people living along this route wanting to have this option for work, shopping, recreation. Like that old Chinese saying goes, 'Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" and I think this is a great step towards an electric car future with possibilities we can't even imagine now.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1G6 View Post

Thank you. Thing is, it takes effort to stay informed and think.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    From what I see, you would not stop every 40 miles to charge, but when you need to...
    I'm sure the increments are designed to coincide with rest stops and points of interest to help subsidize the cost and make best use of existing resources.

And while some have mentioned that a fast charge infrastructure is beyond the capabilities of most cars it's obviously prudent to invest ahead of the curve.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Quote Originally Posted by 1G6 View Post

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that the government ran gas stations around where YOU PEOPLE live. Are you dialing in from China? Or North Korea? In America, it used to be that businesses were run by individuals and citizens who didn't rely on the government for their next welfare check. How times change...
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    I'm sure the increments are designed to coincide with rest stops and points of interest to help subsidize the cost and make best use of existing resources.

And while some have mentioned that a fast charge infrastructure is beyond the capabilities of most cars it's obviously prudent to invest ahead of the curve.
    This has been discussed before. It would take all of about 2 days to install a couple dozen plugs in a parking lot. This is putting the cart WAY in front of the horse.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    This has been discussed before. It would take all of about 2 days to install a couple dozen plugs in a parking lot. This is putting the cart WAY in front of the horse.
    It might be a little tough to include a mechanism for billing and monitoring consumption with a few extra electrical outlets.

Regardless of whether the initiative is coming from the private or public sector the need for the infrastructure is there. Targeting the most appropriate channels shouldn't be mind busting.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Just like turnpike gas is a rip off. I'm sure gov. electric rates will be a rip off to.
    "Good artists copy, great artists steal" Pablo Picasso

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information