Verenium Commissions Louisiana Cellulosic Ethanol Plant: $1.34/gallon target price

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verenium Commissions Louisiana Cellulosic Ethanol Plant: $1.34/gallon target price

Thanks

Verenium Commissions Louisiana Cellulosic Ethanol Plant: $1.34/gallon target price

Verenium Begins Commissioning of Nation's First Cellulosic Ethanol Demonstration-Scale Plant

CAMBRIDGE, Mass., May 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Verenium Corporation (Nasdaq: VRNM), a pioneer in the development of next-generation cellulosic ethanol and high-performance specialty enzymes, announced today that it has begun the commissioning phase at its demonstration-scale cellulosic ethanol facility in Jennings, Louisiana.
    Start-up activities will continue as the facility transitions into a comprehensive commissioning phase allowing the Company to evaluate its process for making ethanol at scale and validate cost and performance assumptions to prepare for the development of its first series of commercial plants. This phase puts Verenium on track for its goal of beginning construction in the middle of next year on a 30 million-gallon-per-year commercial plant, which will be the first of its kind, located in the southeastern United States.
    In a briefing with analysts and investors, Verenium said that it was expecting a production cost of $1.34/gallon for its first-generation technology.
    The key element of Celunol’s technology was genetically engineered Escherichia coli bacteria that can ferment both C6 (hexose) and C5 (pentose) sugars present in cellulosic biomass.

Professor Lonnie Ingram at the University of Florida, from which Celunol licensed its technology, modified the E. coli—which could use both 5- and 6-carbon sugars, but produced very little ethanol, with the ethanol-producing capabilities of Zymomonas mobilis. Z. mobilis is a good ethanol producer that is highly alcohol-resistant, but is also very sensitive to its environment, is not very hardy, and can mostly use only glucose.
    source

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Verenium Commissions Louisiana Cellulosic Ethanol Plant: $1.34/gallon target pric

production cost of 1.34, but what does that translate to in retail price?
    '08 SAAB 9-3 Convertible

Thanks

Re: Verenium Commissions Louisiana Cellulosic Ethanol Plant: $1.34/gallon target pric

Quote Originally Posted by SRX7697 View Post
    production cost of 1.34, but what does that translate to in retail price?
    Less than $4.00.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon View Post
    Less than $4.00.
    Not necessarily...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

...We went ahead and deleted all the other pathways [succinic acid, lactic acid, formate, acetate, CO2 and hydrogen] so that the only pathway our organisms have to grow under anaerobic conditions is to make ethanol. If they grow, they must make ethanol. If they grow faster, they must make ethanol faster. If they grow to higher densities, they must make more ethanol...
    Science is so great! Smart people doing smart things.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    Not necessarily...
    It will not matter if it's under $4 or not (even though I think it will be significantly lower) for two reasons:

1. Real competition creates lower prices. Face it, if car makers get behind this and more organic material growers and factories get online along with a good infrastructure then oil will have the competition the free world is craving. There is NO WAY oil can demand these current prices if every car built gives a person a choice of more than oil.

2. Better energy independence will keep the speculators at bay.

We have to realize that ethanol should not be looked at from strictly a price standpoint but as a tool to make our economy work more efficiently and properly.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Current Vehicles:

2017 Buick Lacrosse

2017 Buick Envision

Thanks

We need to start creating outlets for ethanol so more consumers have a choice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkennedy293 View Post
    We need to start creating outlets for ethanol so more consumers have a choice.
    YOU can buy E85 here:

Cruizers #20
    1914 Sedwick Rd. & Hwy. 55
    Durham, NC 27713
    919-806-3458

Thanks

Ha thats funny i was born in Jennings, Louisiana....

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 DemonKnightDK's Avatar
    Thanks

I would buy E85 if I could afford a car than can run on it. (I dont want a used Taurus...)
    When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty.
    GB Shaw

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    It will not matter if it's under $4 or not (even though I think it will be significantly lower) for two reasons:

1. Real competition creates lower prices. Face it, if car makers get behind this and more organic material growers and factories get online along with a good infrastructure then oil will have the competition the free world is craving. There is NO WAY oil can demand these current prices if every car built gives a person a choice of more than oil.

2. Better energy independence will keep the speculators at bay.

We have to realize that ethanol should not be looked at from strictly a price standpoint but as a tool to make our economy work more efficiently and properly.
    I think you are exactly right, however I hope that if oil prices collapse, the available alternatives' costs are not so high as to render said alternatives no longer economically viable. Tool or not, the most guys at the gas station will pick the less expensive fuel by nature.

I wonder how this compares to what it costs to produce a gallon of gas. Better yet, I wonder what the costs are to get both fuels all the way to the pump.

& for fvcks sake GM & Ford, SPREAD FLEX-FUEL TECHNOLOGY ACROSS YOUR LINEUPS ALREADY!!!
    2019 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew 3.3L 4WD
    2007 Volvo XC90 V8
    2005 Volvo V70R M66
    2006 BMW 750Li

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC Raskolnikov's Avatar
    Thanks

"& for fvcks sake GM & Ford, SPREAD FLEX-FUEL TECHNOLOGY ACROSS YOUR LINEUPS ALREADY!!! "

Agreed. I'd love to buy a used Cobalt sedan with E85 capability.

It's $2.79/gal @ my corner station while gas.....is.....way to flippin expensive!!
    2008 Saturn VUE
    1998 Corvette Convertible
    1994 Buick Roadmaster

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    "& for fvcks sake GM & Ford, SPREAD FLEX-FUEL TECHNOLOGY ACROSS YOUR LINEUPS ALREADY!!! "

Agreed. I'd love to buy a used Cobalt sedan with E85 capability.

It's $2.79/gal @ my corner station while gas.....is.....way to flippin expensive!!
    I wish that was the case around here, E85 is staying within .40 of regular gas. Keeping the price point to justify it just beyond reach. Company won't go for it, in my E85 caravan. Now at 1.20 gal cheaper, a case could be made for it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TORRED1 View Post
    I wish that was the case around here, E85 is staying within .40 of regular gas. Keeping the price point to justify it just beyond reach. Company won't go for it, in my E85 caravan. Now at 1.20 gal cheaper, a case could be made for it.
    In Lititz, Pennsylvania, E85 is 25% cheaper than gasoline. http://e85prices.com/pennsylvania/lititz.html

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,372 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 377Z View Post
    I think you are exactly right, however I hope that if oil prices collapse, the available alternatives' costs are not so high as to render said alternatives no longer economically viable. Tool or not, the most guys at the gas station will pick the less expensive fuel by nature.

I wonder how this compares to what it costs to produce a gallon of gas. Better yet, I wonder what the costs are to get both fuels all the way to the pump.

& for fvcks sake GM & Ford, SPREAD FLEX-FUEL TECHNOLOGY ACROSS YOUR LINEUPS ALREADY!!!
    E85 capable vehicles are a good thing, but they are still optimized to run on gasoline. They are designed to just ACCEPT E85 without damaging components, and without degrading fuel economy "too much".

I long for the day when we can get vehicles optimized for E85. With the higher compression ratios possible (105+ octane,baby!), they would be more powerful, and fuel efficiency would be improved. But I'm not sure they'd run well (or run at all) with "mere" gasoline then.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast