USA's NINTH Cellulosic Ethanol Plant

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: USA's NINTH Cellulosic Ethanol Plant

Thanks

USA's NINTH Cellulosic Ethanol Plant

Range Fuels is building the first one in Georgia.

Mascoma Corp. is building the second one in Michigan.

Abengoa Bioenergy is building America's third cellulosic ethanol plant in Kansas.

Lignol applies to build America's fourth cellulosic ethanol plant in Colorado

Florida Crystals Corp. is bulding America's fifth cellulosic ethanol plant in Florida

Mascoma is building America's sixth cellulosic ethanol plant in Tennessee

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mascoma Corporation, a leader in advanced low-carbon energy biotechnology, today announced that it intends to establish the country’s first operating facility producing cellulosic ethanol utilizing switchgrass as feedstock. The project represents one of the largest commitments of capital yet made in support of the cellulosic biofuels industry.

Mascoma and The University of Tennessee plan to jointly build and operate the five million gallon per year cellulosic biorefinery. Construction is expected to begin by the end of 2007 and the facility will be operational in 2009.
    Mascoma is building America's seventh cellulosic ethanol plant in New York

Mascoma has begun construction on its first facility announced in 2006, a multi-feedstock demonstration-scale biorefinery located in Rome, New York. This project is being developed in partnership with the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority and the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets.
    Poet is building America's Eighth Cellulosic Ethanol Plant In Iowa

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (October 4, 2007) - POET and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) announced that they have signed a cooperative agreement for a commercial cellulosic ethanol project in Emmetsburg, Iowa.
    According to the cooperative agreement, phase one of the project will last approximately 20 months. A subsequent phase two agreement will then be negotiated to cover construction which is expected to take two years. Following construction, facility operation is expected to begin in 2011.
    Verinium is building America's Ninth Cellulosic Ethanol Plant in Louisiana

Based in Massachusetts, Verenium built a small-scale plant in Jennings in 2006, and began quietly cooking about two tons of local crop waste per day into ethanol. It's one of a few pilot plants in the U.S. acting like chemistry labs for cellulosic ethanol.

In February, Verenium broke ground on a 1.4 million gallon per-year demonstration plant right next to the pilot site. It would be the first cellulosic plant of its size in the U.S., and Verenium officials boast they're at least one year ahead of anyone else in the game.

This new plant should be built in March and start running later next year, but is still just the second of three phases, meant to help Verenium perfect the process on their way to building a commercial-scale plant.

That could make 25 million to 30 million gallons of ethanol per year from biomass as far away as New Iberia, if it were built in Jennings. Sites in Florida and Texas are also being considered for the large, third-phase plant.
    Last edited by HoosierRon; 11-04-2007 at 08:36 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: USA's NINTH Cellulosic Ethanol Plant

Seven different companies. Nine states. Zero corn kernels. The future's looking bright.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Wolfman01's Avatar
    Thanks

Now they just need to get a few built here in TX.
    1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE (132k) Tyipical British project LOL
    2004 Saturn ION Redline (9k)
    2015 Chevy Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4x4
    2015 Subaru Impreza (9k)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman01 View Post
    They are working on it:
    The Texas A&M Agricultural Research and Extension Center in Lockett is working on a project dubbed the "Mesquite Alternative Fuel Project," which will study the feasibility of harvesting mesquite and turning it into cellulosic ethanol.

"The whole program is developed to try to use the mesquite that nobody wants," said Jim Ansley, professor and the rangeland ecologist who is overseeing the project.
    Texas has 52 million acres of mesquite trees, said Montey Sneed, a marketing executive for Pearson Bioenergy Inc. of Aberdeen, Miss., and founder of Texas Ethanol Co. Sneed, of Vernon, sees mesquite is a renewable "feedstock" to make ethanol.

Cutting a mesquite tree down agitates it, and it grows back fiercely. It's renewable at least every 10 years, and it's one of the hardest woods out there a plus for a biofuel feedstock.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon View Post
    Seven different companies. Nine states. Zero corn kernels. The future's looking bright.
    You rock, HoosierRon. As always, thanks for providing such a great biofuel roundup. I browse about 10 different sites to get my biofuel info, but increasingly I am finding most of my info needs being met by your posts on GMI.

Are you also keeping an eye on biobutanol and bio crude?

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman01 View Post
    I think CA and NY could use it most.

Of course who does conversions on CAT and other tractors?

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

It is nice to see that they are being distributed around the country and not all it one place. That should help if one area of the country is hit with a dry/bad year and keep transportation costs down.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by racy View Post
    You rock, HoosierRon. As always, thanks for providing such a great biofuel roundup. I browse about 10 different sites to get my biofuel info, but increasingly I am finding most of my info needs being met by your posts on GMI.

Are you also keeping an eye on biobutanol and bio crude?
    Keeping an eye out? I thought HoosierRon was stalking ethanol. He must have stock in some ethanol companies or something.

Thanks for the round up though, I think ethanol is a great idea.

Thanks

On a related note...

PetroChina's Value Tops $1 Trillion, Surpassing Exxon and GE Combined

Nov. 5 (Bloomberg) -- PetroChina Co. almost tripled on its first day of trading in Shanghai, becoming the world's first company to be valued at $1 trillion, more than Exxon Mobil Corp. and General Electric Co. combined.

PetroChina shares rose to 43.96 yuan from the sale price of 16.7 yuan, giving the state-owned oil producer a greater market value than the entire Russian stock market.
    PetroChina CEO Jang Jiemin

Ask yourself how it is in your own, or your country's, interest to have this man in charge of the world's most valuable energy company.
    Last edited by HoosierRon; 11-05-2007 at 07:47 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon View Post
    On a related note...

PetroChina's Value Tops $1 Trillion, Surpassing Exxon and GE Combined

PetroChina CEO Jang Jiemin

Ask yourself how it is in your own, or your country's, interest to have this man in charge of the world's most valuable energy company.

omg. that's crazy! it hurts to be so out of the loop. i bet a lot of chinese officials made a lot of money it's nice to control your own stock price.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information