USA's 5th CELLULOSIC Ethanol Plant

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: USA's 5th CELLULOSIC Ethanol Plant

Thanks

USA's 5th CELLULOSIC Ethanol Plant

Range Fuels is building the first one in Georgia.

Mascoma Corp. is building the second one in Michigan.

Abengoa Bioenergy is building America's third cellulosic ethanol plant in Kansas.

Lignol applies to build America's fourth cellulosic ethanol plant in Colorado

Florida Crystals Corp. is bulding America's fifth cellulosic ethanol plant in Florida
    The University of Florida has selected Florida Crystals Corp. as the site to build a cellulosic ethanol plant that will produce 1 million to 2 million gallons of ethanol a year, university officials said.

The plant is financed by a $20 million state grant and will operate as a research and development lab as well as a commercial facility. It is the first of its kind in Florida. Attendees at the Monday meeting where the decision was announced said Florida Crystals was selected over the second front-runner, Memphis, Tenn.-based Buckeye Technologies, because it has a large supply of bagasse biomass and it is already in the sugar business.
    Last edited by HoosierRon; 08-24-2007 at 11:21 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: USA's 5th CELLULOSIC Ethanol Plant

These cellulosic ethanol plants would be great to build next to landfills or recycling centers.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkennedy293
    These cellulosic ethanol plants would be great to build next to landfills or recycling centers.
    This will happen sooner than later.........
    35 yr. UAW/GM/Delphi retiree Worked in 4 different assembly plants and a Delphi battery plant
    2016 Buick Encore
    1968 Camaro Coupe 327 250HP Turbo 350 (Restoring)
    21 yr. Retired Volunteer Firefighter

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Hoosier Ron, you seem to be all over this topic, and I'd like to get your take on an article in the WSJ today. The article dealt with a plant "Jatropha" that is a weed in India. It has oily seeds as I understand it and seems to be a great candidate for fuels. What surprised me was a chart in the article showing the cost per barrel of fuel of various biofuel feedstocks. Here's the list:

Cellulose - $305
    Wheat - $125
    Rapeseed - $125
    Soybean - $122
    Sugar beets - $100
    Corn - $83
    Sugar Cane - $45
    Jatropha - $43

Does this line up with what you understand to be the sitution?

Link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118788662080906716.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Havasavana
    Hoosier Ron, you seem to be all over this topic, and I'd like to get your take on an article in the WSJ today. The article dealt with a plant "Jatropha" that is a weed in India. It has oily seeds as I understand it and seems to be a great candidate for fuels. What surprised me was a chart in the article showing the cost per barrel of fuel of various biofuel feedstocks. Here's the list:

Cellulose - $305
    Wheat - $125
    Rapeseed - $125
    Soybean - $122
    Sugar beets - $100
    Corn - $83
    Sugar Cane - $45
    Jatropha - $43

Does this line up with what you understand to be the sitution?

Link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118788662080906716.html
    Jatropha is huge in the Third World. It can grow on (agriculturally) worthless land, of which there is plenty in India and Africa. Many countries are making governmentally coordinated efforts to massively increase jatropha production. Heck, jatropha has its own web site. It is fantastic for poor economies.

The table is outdated regarding the cost of "cellulose". What used to make ethanol from cellulose so expensive was the cost of enzymes used to break down cell walls. However, two things have changed:

(1) the cost of enzymes today is a fraction of what it was just a few years ago. Since 1999, the cost of enzymes has gone from around $5.25/gallon to $0.25/gallon.

(2) science has developed alternative ways to break down cell walls, such as acid pre-wash.

I also will note that the table is a bit misleading in that it mixes sources of ethanol with sources of biodiesel.
    Last edited by HoosierRon; 08-24-2007 at 03:32 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

As a food self sufficiency gardener of many years I can't help but wonder and get excited about the thought of the solid waste of this process (and the algal diesel one) being useful as a soil amendment.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Ah yes... Good old sugar cane. This seems like a nice way to get sugar farmers off the government's tits and start making money on their own... Get rid of sugar price floors!!!

Thanks

This is a great topic, as it's got the number of plants and counting! Ron, you awesome...
    GM: 'Meet the new boss....same as the old boss!'
    Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) asim's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkennedy293
    They might as well team up with these centers, talk about reducing the costs and hopefully passing the savings onto the consumer.
    I'll make a new sig. Later.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon
    Jatropha is huge in the Third World. It can grow on (agriculturally) worthless land, of which there is plenty in India and Africa. Many countries are making governmentally coordinated efforts to massively increase jatropha production. Heck, jatropha has its own web site. It is fantastic for poor economies.
    I see no reason why this could not become huge right here in the USA. We have lots of desert in the southwest portion of the country that would seem to be good planting grounds for the Jatropha plant. This might be the silver bullet we have been looking for in biofuels, with the low input costs and ability to grow in sub-prime agricultural areas, it is not in competition with food production. I would encourage everyone to read the Wall Street Journal article, it is very good. Again the link is: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1187...716-email.html
    Hidden Content
    ------------------------------------------------
    2007 Chevy Avalanche LT1
    1998 Infiniti I30t

Thanks

So cool. I love the idea of cellulosic - imagine we could start running our cars on something made of waste paper! Ideal!

Up yours, OPEC!
    Last edited by AMcA; 08-25-2007 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rwalth
    I see no reason why this could not become huge right here in the USA. We have lots of desert in the southwest portion of the country that would seem to be good planting grounds for the Jatropha plant. This might be the silver bullet we have been looking for in biofuels, with the low input costs and ability to grow in sub-prime agricultural areas, it is not in competition with food production. I would encourage everyone to read the Wall Street Journal article, it is very good. Again the link is: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1187...716-email.html
    Could we grow a whole lot of jatropha in the US? Yes. Silver bullet? Not even close. If you wanted to spend the time to do the math, I am sure you would discover that you would have to cover half the North American continent to get enough jatropha oil to call it a silver bullet.

Frankly, I do not think anyone is looking for a silver bullet. We need to be looking at many, many solutions: corn ethanol, sugar ethanol, cellulosic ethanol, jatropha, algae, soy biodiesel, waste oil diesel. Add them ALL together, and we START to liberate ourselves from OPEC.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information