USABC Awards $6.5M Li-Ion Technology Development Contract To EnerDel

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: USABC Awards $6.5M Li-Ion Technology Development Contract To EnerDel

Thanks

18 September 2007

EnerDel 5Ah cell battery pack. Click to enlarge.
    The United States Advanced Battery Consortium (USABC), an organization whose members are Chrysler LLC, Ford Motor Company and General Motors Corporation, has awarded a $6.5 million lithium-ion battery technology development contract to Ener1’s EnerDel subsidiary.

USABC awarded the contract in collaboration with the US Department of Energy (DOE) to develop lithium battery technology for hybrid-electric vehicle applications. The 18-month contract, valued at $6.5 million, is the second of a three-phase USABC program and requires a 50% cost share. EnerDel successfully completed Phase I in June. (Earlier post.)

Under the full, three-phase program, EnerDel is working to develop a fully integrated battery system for use in hybrid vehicle applications. The USABC program aims to produce a cost-competitive, lithium-ion battery that is lighter, smaller and higher in power than existing battery technologies for hybrid electric vehicles.

EnerDel’s Phase II contract involves development focused on scaling up to a production caliber cell, lifetime testing and evaluation, and demonstrating the technology in battery modules.

EnerDel has developed its own lithium titanate (titanium oxide, “LTO”) anode material in collaboration with Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) for HEV applications. The company has also developed a hard carbon (HC) anode lithium-ion high capacity battery that it will target at plug-in hybrid (PHEV) and battery electric vehicle (BEV) applications. For the cathode, EnerDel uses manganese spinel (LiMn2O4, “LMO”). EnerDel uses a flat prismatic cell design.

The 5Ah LTO-type cell carries a nominal voltage of 2.5V; the 5Ah HC-type cell carries a nominal voltage of 3.6V.

More continued at link:http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007...s-65.html#more
    GM: 'Meet the new boss....same as the old boss!'
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Re: USABC Awards $6.5M Li-Ion Technology Development Contract To EnerDel

The investment going into this technology is heavy.

I hope they can kick out some affordable, powerful batteries.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Where does this fit with what GM is doing with A123 on the Volt?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,252 Times in 3,501 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

I am Glad that this is purely an American effort. We do not need others nosing around, we need to think as one country in a global competitive Market.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar MechEng's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

Quote Originally Posted by minnfang
    Well GM is investing money all over the place with regards to L-Ion batteries. They don't want to put all their eggs in one basket.

$6.5 Million is not a lot of money in the automotive industry. Heck it cost $1.25 Million just to paint lines on the floor at the Ford Windsor engine plant.
    See my cars stats below Hidden Content
    2018 Volt - Hidden Content
    2018 Bolt EV - Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 CADILLACSIXTEEN's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Sierra | Z71

Quote Originally Posted by minnfang
    Well it says its for Hybrids... So I think it has more to do with their 2-Mode Hybrid system, rather than their E-Flex system.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CADILLACSIXTEEN
    Well it says its for Hybrids... So I think it has more to do with their 2-Mode Hybrid system, rather than their E-Flex system.

I have to agree. I do believe that it's for the hybrids for the Big 3, since they're all a part of the USABC. It's nice to see American car companies working together!
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CADILLACSIXTEEN

I am not sure that in the context of the press release, the author intended to distinguish between "traditional" hybrids and the type of powertrain that the Volt has. Let's face it: notwithstanding Maximum Bob's insistence to the contrary, when most people hear that the Volt has (1) a big battery pack and (2) an engine, they will consider it a hybrid. "Electric vehicle with mileage extending engine" is, to most people, a distinction without a difference.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I do see that GM might have some trouble showing how the e-flex system is better then even thier own 2-mode.
    I wonder if all this heavy investment and heavy purchase of these LI batteries, will cause the price of laptops and other LI users up? Or will the investment in making them better and cheaper in turn make laptops cheaper?
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28
    I do see that GM might have some trouble showing how the e-flex system is better then even thier own 2-mode.
    That will be easy. To a large percentage of the population, GM will say: "imagine never having to buy gasoline again..." To people who want a smaller car to drive around town and park in their garage, the e-flex is better than the 2-mode, which gets good mileage, but still will require most people to buy hundreds of gallons of gasoline per year.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) asim's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon
    That will be easy. To a large percentage of the population, GM will say: "imagine never having to buy gasoline again..." To people who want a smaller car to drive around town and park in their garage, the e-flex is better than the 2-mode, which gets good mileage, but still will require most people to buy hundreds of gallons of gasoline per year.
    They just can't say that the car will never use gasoline ever again. But, they might try some other way of creative marketing tactic to make sure the people know that the E-flex idea is the way to go.
    I'll make a new sig. Later.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asim
    They just can't say that the car will never use gasoline ever again. But, they might try some other way of creative marketing tactic to make sure the people know that the E-flex idea is the way to go.
    They don't have to say that. Just say 'Imagine never having to use gasoline again. Now imagine that if you do, getting 150 MPG. Now imagine yourself in the new Chevrolet Volt. VOLT: Imagination meets Reality!'
    Hidden Content

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information