U.S leads in battery R&D, but not capable of manufacturing them - must rely on China

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S leads in battery R&D, but not capable of manufacturing them - must rely on China

Thanks

U.S leads in battery R&D, but not capable of manufacturing them - must rely on China

US Leads World in PHEV Battery R&D, Lags in Capability to Make Them
    During opening testimony before the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development, Don Hillebrand from the Argonne National Laboratory noted that while the United States is leading in the development of battery materials and chemistries for hybrid vehicles and Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV), the nation lags behind the world in having the manufacturing capability to produce the batteries.

Indeed, while “DOE battery research programs have spawned small businesses and pushed applied development of promising battery chemistries to a high level,” Hillebrand pointed out that, “…Many small American battery companies plan to build their factories in China.”

The U.S. is the leader in battery materials and chemistry development, and also leads battery start-up activities and innovation. The major problem with the U.S. is that it lacks manufacturing or prototyping capability. Battery manufacturing know-how and capability are developed over time and require huge capital investments. Toyota has invested substantial funding in developing the capability to develop and produce batteries. Estimates of costs vary, but studies indicate that Toyota pays one-third less for their batteries than do the American-owned companies.

Asian-based battery makers have marked advantages based on the large investments they have made in manufacturing. No matter how good the chemistry, one needs manufacturing skill to produce commercial batteries. Lithium-ion batteries are complicated devices that are prone to overheat, leak, and fail, no matter what chemistries they use. Superior design can minimize the chance of these faults occurring, but if you don't have advanced manufacturing methods you cannot make high-quality, durable, and safe commercial batteries.
    Last edited by HoosierRon; 02-18-2008 at 11:28 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: U.S leads in battery R&D, but not capable of manufacturing them - must rely on Ch

Not good, not good! We need to be able to manufacture these things as well. It's really a very important thing that our leaders should be working to change.

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: U.S leads in battery R&D, but not capable of manufacturing them - must rely on Ch

This may be one of the early signs of our weakness in manufacturing advanced technologies, or manufacturing in general, that's the result of that "great sucking sound". Sending our manufacturing prowess offshore.....
    35 yr. UAW/GM/Delphi retiree Worked in 4 different assembly plants and a Delphi battery plant
    2016 Buick Encore
    1968 Camaro Coupe 327 250HP Turbo 350 (Restoring)
    21 yr. Retired Volunteer Firefighter

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,869 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

And people think manufacturing doesn't matter.
    One day we'll find out that was very wrong, with serious consequences.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,244 Times in 3,496 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Cost dissadvantage-Due to
    Stupid congress
    Stupid State ligislatures
    Unions
    Stupid corporations

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,361 Times in 4,482 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

NO WORRIES! We are a service economy!!

Who needs to make steel, batteries, tires, blah blah blah?

We are a service economy!!!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 Fiesta ST Ingot Silver

Given no one has tanned leather in the U.S. in years, due to environmental regulations, toxic chemicals, I wonder if this may be more related to the EPA regulations than anything else. This would not be the first instance of government policy causing manufacturing to move offshore.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Greg Burr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Ford Mustang Pony

Quote Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
    This may be one of the early signs of our weakness in manufacturing advanced technologies, or manufacturing in general, that's the result of that "great sucking sound". Sending our manufacturing prowess offshore.....
    Make them in Mexico and then people won't have to come here illegally for jobs.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

China is going to rule the world if these trends continue!

Thanks

Proof positive that we are in dire need of an effective transition training, preferably paid for by a mix of public-private entities.

I couldn't care less if the match stick factory or the the T-shirt factory closes due to a 200% cost disadvantage, thats the nature of a growing and technologically advancing society. But instead of just throwing the workers out on the street if build an effective retraining program that provides the skilled work force to build newer more relevant products or even maintain automated factory equipment. You manage to keep a stable national work force and "do the right thing" at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by GMusa View Post
    China is going to rule the world if these trends continue!
    Until their financial house of cards collapses and takes the rest of us with them.
    Last edited by VibenPontiac; 02-18-2008 at 12:18 PM.
    "Whenever I’m suffering from Insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I’m straight off.."

"This is a Renault Espace, probably the best of the people carriers. Not that that's much to shout about. That's like saying 'Oh good, I've got syphilis, the best of the sexually transmitted diseases!"

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC HotCarNut's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Burr View Post
    Make them in Mexico and then people won't have to come here illegally for jobs.
    Oh for cryin' out loud! Anything not built in China already comes from Mexico and they're STILL coming HERE for jobs. Let's face facts, stopping illegal immigration will only happen one of 3 ways:
    1. Put up a 25 foot brick wall with automatic machine gun turrets run off motion sensors that create a 500 yard kill-zone between Mexico and the US. (Shouldn't, couldn't, and won't happen although the Texans would be all for it)
    2. Invade Mexico and make it states 51-55. Then they'll all be US residents, have the same rights, and the same minimum wage. (again, won't happen. We have a hard enough time only supporting a portion of their population with services they don't pay for. Imagine supporting that entire country until it could be raised to the standard of even the poorest state.)
    3. Deny illegal immigrants health care, services, and any hope of citizenship including for their children born on US soil. If you're caught here illegally it's a lifetime blacklist from applying for citizenship, and all of the assets they possess are immediately forfeighted including bank accounts. (Good luck getting this one past the bleeding heart liberals)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

That's really really bad. We'll switch from foreign oil to foreign batteries, not good!

Quote Originally Posted by HotCarNut View Post
    Oh for cryin' out loud! Anything not built in China already comes from Mexico and they're STILL coming HERE for jobs. Let's face facts, stopping illegal immigration will only happen one of 3 ways:
    1. Put up a 25 foot brick wall with automatic machine gun turrets run off motion sensors that create a 500 yard kill-zone between Mexico and the US. (Shouldn't, couldn't, and won't happen although the Texans would be all for it)
    2. Invade Mexico and make it states 51-55. Then they'll all be US residents, have the same rights, and the same minimum wage. (again, won't happen. We have a hard enough time only supporting a portion of their population with services they don't pay for. Imagine supporting that entire country until it could be raised to the standard of even the poorest state.)
    3. Deny illegal immigrants health care, services, and any hope of citizenship including for their children born on US soil. If you're caught here illegally it's a lifetime blacklist from applying for citizenship, and all of the assets they possess are immediately forfeighted including bank accounts. (Good luck getting this one past the bleeding heart liberals)

I like 1 and 3

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,381 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Hahahahahahaaaaa!! This is great!
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Greg Burr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Ford Mustang Pony

Dude, I wasn't saying that is the solution to immigration. I live in LA and see the reconquista agenda at work. You're preaching th the choir. #3 and a fence and honest enforecements of exisiting laws should do it.

I'm just saying that I'd rather have the manufacturing of key components done in a friendly country (China is not), and if that helps us and helps them, then good.

Or maybe make the batteries here and tariff the hell out those batteries made abroad.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 2,108 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
    Early signs?? Where have you beeen the last 30 years?

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information