Two HUGE alternative fuel stories

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two HUGE alternative fuel stories

Thanks

Two HUGE alternative fuel stories

Tyson, Syntroleum to build biodiesel plant in Louisiana
    Animal fat from Tyson will be used as a feedstock at the planned 75 million gallon facility.

Springdale, Ark.-based Tyson Foods (NYSE: TSN), the largest meat processing company in the world, has big plans for renewables, and 2.3 billion pounds of fat to use as feedstock.

Tyson announced that it would build the first biodiesel plant under its venture with Tulsa, Okla.'s Syntroleum (Nasdaq: SYNM) on a site in Louisiana, citing the area's proximity to feedstocks, transportation, and the Barksdale Air Force Base, which has three squadrons of B-52 bombers.
    Construction of the $150 million, 75 million gallon per year plant is expected to start in 2008, with production targeted for 2010.

Tyson claims the new fuel will offer higher energy content, better cold flow properties enabling it to function effectively in cold weather and reduced carbon dioxide emissions.

The fuels are also expected to be compatible with existing pipelines, storage facilities and other conventional fuel infrastructures.

GSPI Signs Contract to Build Algae-to-Biodiesel Facility
    SAN DIEGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--November 13, 2007 Green Star Products, Inc. (OTC:GSPI) today announced that it has signed a contract to build a 100-acre Commercial Algae Facility in the Midwest.

Biotech Research, Inc. (BTR), who is a Consortium partner with GSPI, has signed the contract with GSPI to start initial preparation and material acquisition for field construction to begin in March 2008.

The 100-acre Algae Facility will be constructed adjacent to an existing biodiesel plant and will use the CO2 emitted from the biodiesel plant's boilers to feed a portion of the algae facility needs (CO2 mitigation), which will reduce Global Warming emissions.

The algae oil produced from the facility will be turned into biodiesel through the existing biodiesel plant facilities.

GSPI will construct the algae production facility and operate it for 18-months and will participate in ongoing royalties with BTR from sales of algae oil and high protein meal.

It is also the business strategy that BTR and GSPI will build GSPI Biodiesel Production plants alongside Algae Production Facilities at other locations in the U.S.

BTR has formulated business plans to build several 1,000-acre Algae Facilities, each in conjunction with a GSPI Biodiesel Processing facility.

Negotiations are in progress with funding institutions.
    No news on whether or not the president of Green Star Products has placed his order for an A380 yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Two HUGE alternative fuel stories

what no vegetarian jokes?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I don't want to sound like an idiot, but with things like mad cow disease, the bird flu, and corporate America's influence in Washington, I'm going to have to do a little research before jumping onboard the Animal fat bandwagon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2648562 View Post
    I don't want to sound like an idiot, but with things like mad cow disease, the bird flu, and corporate America's influence in Washington, I'm going to have to do a little research before jumping onboard the Animal fat bandwagon.
    It's not like you will be eating the stuff or anything... It's a fuel not food and if that means that the remains of the animals I eat can be used more efficiently I'm all for it.

Thanks

Wha wha what???
    I am not following You?
    Mad Cow?

that is with in the brain matter not the fat.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

Ethanol is moving pretty quick. Still no station near me though.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2014 White

whatever works i hope they get it out there soon

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

I just had to laugh at that.

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

Thanks

Wow. That is all

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

HoosierRon: What is the expected yearly output for the algae farm?

**EDIT** Here's the answer to my own question. From the article, we get the following numbers:

Between 4 million and 10 million gal/year output.
    Last edited by racy; 11-13-2007 at 10:56 PM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 TheGeneral's Avatar
    Thanks

They could make some good money.

1. It's cleaner than anything else
    2. They don't waste anything
    2008 Chevy Malibu LTZ
    2007 Mazda3 I Touring

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Nice to see so many companies investing in alternatives. None of these are magic bullets, but the more we chip away at the oil stranglehold, the better.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 DemonKnightDK's Avatar
    Thanks

I like the fact that the algae farm will feed into the bio-diesel plant, and then the bio will feed into the algae, if that ain't the best utilization of resources I've seen in a long time. It makes sense, the CO2 feeds the algae, then the algae makes the oil that is distilled into diesel... just awesome.
    When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty.
    GB Shaw

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awalbert88 View Post
    Nice to see so many companies investing in alternatives. None of these are magic bullets, but the more we chip away at the oil stranglehold, the better.
    I disagree. I think that the algae farm is, in fact, the magic bullet. Note that it will produce up to 10 million gallons per year. Now if you read the article closely, you will see that this is a 100 acre operation, and the company has plans to build many 1,000 acre facilities. I don't know if we can extrapolate that the larger facilities will produce 100 million gallons of biodiesel, but we do know that there is no reason you could not put such a facility next to every soy biodiesel plant in the world.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Evo69's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow and u have been here since 2003?
    Hidden Content
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information