Truckers Urge NHTSA to set fuel standards

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Truckers Urge NHTSA to set fuel standards

Thanks

Truckers Urge NHTSA to set fuel standards

Truckers urge NHTSA to set fuel standards
    David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

Washington -- With fuel efficiency and tailpipe emissions standards in place for passenger cars and light trucks, attention has turned to regulating the nation's heaviest trucks.

The nation's truck drivers have urged the Transportation Department to oppose legislation that would transfer authority to set fuel efficiency regulations for medium- and heavy-duty trucks to the Environmental Protection Agency.

In a joint letter today to Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, the American Truck Dealers and Owner-Operated Independent Drivers Associations urged him to oppose legislation that would strip the ability of the department to set fuel economy standards for the largest trucks on the roads.

Article continues at link....

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...fuel-standards

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Truckers Urge NHTSA to set fuel standards

This is getting out of hand. While the EPA should, by its very mission, establish environmental standards for all vehicles, I have no doubt in my mind that the standards bound to be set for trucks will ruin the industry and hurt American infrastructure. Unless the EPA wants to fund the R&D for upgrading all vehicles to maintain their performance with better fuel numbers, the EPA should consider the function of these vehicles before considering the agenda implied in its mission.

I'm all about green, but the structure of green demands on the automotive industry is incredibly costly, especially given its condition after the crippling economic downturn. Must of the R&D has evaporated into other costs, leaving little for the development of technology necessary to keep cars both functional and efficient.

If you want a new Chevy, I have it! Hidden Content
    If you want to get rid of your old car, I'll take it! Hidden Content
    I can give you $2,000 or more for any trade if you buy a used vehicle! Hidden Content
    NEW VEHICLES UNDER MSRP

Another dealer: "You're too much of a gearhead to sell cars." Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Truck prices have gone up $9000+ per unit to pay for the SCR gear, tare weights have gone up due to the emissions gear, at the same time GVW's haven't increased and rates have gone down like a meteor. Allowing the EPA to regulate class 6-8 trucks will kill the trucking industry. The only ones left standing will be Mexican truckers driving their "smokers".

Terrible idea.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I'm all about green, but the structure of green demands on the automotive industry is incredibly costly
    Even moreso for heavy trucks. The entire industry sells less trucks than most divisions at GM. Designing trucks is like VW building the Veyron, only instead of losing money on each million $+ car, they have to sell them for $100-150,000 and make money.
    Last edited by Sinner; 04-11-2010 at 10:52 AM.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

this is ridiculous it costs enough money as it is to enforce and set standards for passenger cars imagine how much the price will balloon if big tractor trailers are included in these proposed standards unless the bill is reworked this is a lousy idea
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

Thanks

Could someone explain where all these higher EPA standard have gotten us (USA) other than broke and in debt to the rest of the world?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    This is getting out of hand. While the EPA should, by its very mission, establish environmental standards for all vehicles, I have no doubt in my mind that the standards bound to be set for trucks will ruin the industry and hurt American infrastructure. Unless the EPA wants to fund the R&D for upgrading all vehicles to maintain their performance with better fuel numbers, the EPA should consider the function of these vehicles before considering the agenda implied in its mission.

I'm all about green, but the structure of green demands on the automotive industry is incredibly costly, especially given its condition after the crippling economic downturn. Must of the R&D has evaporated into other costs, leaving little for the development of technology necessary to keep cars both functional and efficient.
    Buckley. You guys closed your other point has the remaining store been seeing alot of increased business? Your big boss man spoke to us at northwood last year. and my dad went to school with him back in the day.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,157 Times in 4,387 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
    Truck prices have gone up $9000+ per unit to pay for the SCR gear, tare weights have gone up due to the emissions gear, at the same time GVW's haven't increased and rates have gone down like a meteor. Allowing the EPA to regulate class 6-8 trucks will kill the trucking industry. The only ones left standing will be Mexican truckers driving their "smokers".

Terrible idea.
    Thanks for clarifying the mission as seen in Foggy Bottom.
    You have to understand, this is for the greater good and it will end discrimination as we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by GTOken View Post
    Could someone explain where all these higher EPA standard have gotten us (USA) other than broke and in debt to the rest of the world?
    See above.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

You know truckers won't take it in the shorts for long. The independents will leave the business, companies will pass the costs on, there will be more consolidation in the business and that is not good for consumers because the companies will charge more.

Walking
    Thanks

As a truck driver I can personally say that trucks are more fuel efficient now then they have ever been. And no matter what you do to these vehicles, its not going to ever bring about a Class 8 truck that can get 20MPG. Commercial vehicles are pulling over 40,000 pounds of cargo behind them on a regular basis and its just not possible to vastly improve on the mileage a vehicle will get while doing that. The best thing that can be done right now is make it a requirement that every new truck produced is equipped with an Auxilary Power Unit. This would all but eliminate truck idle time, which consumes a gallon of fuel an hour.
    Last edited by LS2KilledU; 04-10-2010 at 09:08 PM.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LS2KilledU View Post
    As a truck driver I can personally say that trucks are more fuel efficient now then they have ever been. And no matter what you do to these vehicles, its not going to ever bring about a Class 8 truck that can get 20MPG. Commercial vehicles are pulling over 40,000 pounds of cargo behind them on a regular basis and its just not possible to vastly improve on the mileage a vehicle will get while doing that. The best thing that can be done right now is make it a requirement that every new truck produced is equipped with an Auxilary Power Unit. This would all but eliminate truck idle time, which consumes a gallon of fuel an hour.
    Word!
    From the office of the Burnout Czar.

Thanks

I'm torn on this.

One I don't see it right for the government to set standards. If they are really serious about making things more fuel efficent, the only way to fairly accomplish this is to raise fuel prices with higher gas tax. That will make people buy more efficent vehicles, look what happened when gas spiked last time. These mandatory ratings aren't right since for some the extra economy makes no sense. Take Farm trucks for example. The small amount of time and miles they get every year it makes very little difference weather they get 4 or 14 miles per gallon. Now on a over the road truck its a different story. If the fuel's high priced, more efficent trucks will sell better with out being required.

Now for those who don't think trucks need regulated, I strongly disagree. I think shipping is one of the things that is causing a big chunk of our problems. We ship everything, and most things multiple times. For example, I was installing some running boards on a F-150. They were made in Iowa, sent to Canada for Chroming, back to Iowa for assembly and then shipped to a dealer. We are ship happy country, it used to be that more would be made locally, but now its too cheap to ship, as shipping increases, look for more local production to return.

Also our Railroads aren't what they should be and most of this shipping is done by trucks that are far less efficent than rail shipping.

We'll before I get too carried away, I want to restate my opinion that the only way to fix the problem effectively is to increase fuel costs. The problem with that is the economy can't afford that change right now.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar MechEng's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

There is already emissions standards for heavy trucks. There was some heavy standards that just went into effect about two years ago. My father who is retired from Navistar told me their was a heavy push to get some trucks out before the new emission standards went into effect. The new emission standards involved catalitic coverters for heavy diesel engines and low sulfer emissions.

As for fuel economy standards I don't see the point. Heavy trucks are not like passenger cars. People who buy passenger cars buy off of perception and emotion and tend to buy more than they need. With heavy trucks fuel economy is already a top prioity and manufactures have been on the leading edge of fuel efficiency. There are already many techologies in use in heavy tractors that haven't made it to the average joe's yet.

Navistar press release on hybrid and electric heavy tractors.
    http://ir.navistar.com/releasedetail...leaseID=403538

Current Heavy Diesel emission standards bill passed in 2001 and went into effect 2007
    http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/hd.php
    Last edited by MechEng; 04-10-2010 at 10:31 PM.
    See my cars stats below Hidden Content
    2018 Volt - Hidden Content
    2018 Bolt EV - Hidden Content

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Now I don't like over done regulation, but I don't see why we allow COMMERICAL vehicles from other countries on our roads. Also:

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 1,279 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

one way to improve fuel econ per TON is to increase road GCM up to a higher level and allow LCV roadtrains
    (USA 80,000 LBS GCM Canada / Mexico + some north eastern states allow 96,000 GCM)
    EPA's vision would make the Prime Mover heaver with out higher GCM means the truck moves Less tonnage per gallon of diesel burned
    one major issue is EPA / CARB were to set econ standards and then leave it up to state DOT departments to make / configure laws to allow the new and heaver / longer units on roads and there is little will out there to change DOT rules
    rumor is Obama is going to let Mexi's into US shortly
    http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_ne.../040910-01.htm
    Mexican stuff is partly junk and partly new ECE code tractors better than sold in USA

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information