Texas Approves Massive New Wind Power Project; A Gust at the Volt's Back?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Approves Massive New Wind Power Project; A Gust at the Volt's Back?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC randiferous's Avatar
    Thanks

Texas Approves Massive New Wind Power Project; A Gust at the Volt's Back?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/5893101.html

AUSTIN, Texas Texas is moving forward on the nation's largest wind-power project, a plan to build billions of dollars worth of new transmission lines to bring wind energy from gusty West Texas to urban areas.

Texas is already the national leader in wind power, and supporters say Thursday's preliminary approval by the Public Utility Commission, will make the Lone Star State a leader in being able to move all that energy to the urban areas that need it.

"We will add more wind than the 14 states following Texas combined," said PUC Commissioner Paul Hudson. "I think that's a very extraordinary achievement. Some think we haven't gone far enough, some think we've pushed too far."
    Looks like the grid in Texas would be able to handle the Volt easily and with a Cleaner conscience
    When someone asks you, A penny for your thoughts, and you put your two cents in, what happens to the other penny?Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Texas approves massive new wind power project

More people would be willing to pay extra for renewable energy sources if it meant the "fuel surcharge" were taken off their bill. The surcharge for natural gas more than doubles the electricity bills and, of course, you get charged this fee no matter what plan you choose.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

great news...thanks!
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

There was also talk about putting massive wind turbines out in Lake Erie. There was talk that one blade would be as long as a football field.
    Hidden Content

-JD

My Rides
    -2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II 4WD 5.7L V8, with Selec-Terrain and Quadra-Lift in 'Blackberry Pearl'
    -2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 hardtop in "Deep Water Blue Pearl"

Project Car: 1969 Javelin SST 290

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMusa View Post
    There was also talk about putting massive wind turbines out in Lake Erie. There was talk that one blade would be as long as a football field.
    The size of those things amazed me in that Pickens video! I had NO idea those turbines were SO HUGE...they dwarfed the men beside them. I wonder what the blades are made from...aluminum? titanium? fiberglass? Hard to imagine something so large being made from carbon fiber...maybe the same material as the hull of the new Boeing Dreamliner?
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Texas Approves Massive New Wind Power Project; A Gust at the Volt's Back?

Now how are people going to make fun of Texans as evil oil men in expensive cowboy hats when we have more wind power than California?
    Last edited by Ming; 07-18-2008 at 01:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,459 Times in 1,870 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    Now how are people going to make fun of Texans as evil oil men in expensive cowboy hats when we'll have more wind power than California?
    That's because the power companies know the first bird that gets creamed by a turbine in California will get 'em shut down...
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC jaywestfall's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 Chevrolet C1500/Green

Now how are people going to make fun of Texans as evil oil men in expensive cowboy hats when we'll have more wind power than California?
    So Ming, whadaya say we go slap some of them turbines on all the refineries next to the Gulf. Should be enough to light Houston and power the plants, right?
    Member of The: I will never buy a Japanese car in my life Club
    Join our new grassroots Pontiac Resurrection Discussion @ Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

We're still all oil-rich cowboys that ride horses and drive pickups and Cadillacs while wearing our cowboy hats. At least, that's what I tell everyone that asks me if I'm a cowboy when they find out I'm from Texas.

BTW: We already have more wind power than California.
    Last edited by AndrewGS; 07-18-2008 at 11:59 AM.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 FoMoCo Fan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGS View Post
    We're still all oil-rich cowboys that ride horses and drive pickups and Cadillacs while wearing our cowboy hats. At least, that's what I tell everyone that asks me if I'm a cowboy when they find out I'm from Texas.

Hey, we've got our own cowboys here in CA, and we're darn proud of em. California is a lot more than obnoxious, smug people from "the City".

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC randiferous's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGS View Post

....Very True! Everyone thinks we are big, loud and we have to roll up our cowboy hats to fit our girls in the passenger compartment of our F-450's.

My girl had that stereotype that all we eat are cows and BBQ... she is from Canada....Very true about having more wind power than California too. Take that, hippies(sarcasm at stereotyping all Californians)
    Last edited by randiferous; 07-18-2008 at 12:53 PM.
    When someone asks you, A penny for your thoughts, and you put your two cents in, what happens to the other penny?Hidden Content Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

It's good to get more wind power, but getting more wind farms up isn't really a big thing to help out the Volt now. As pointed out in a thread on here the other day, most people with a Volt would be charging it overnight...when power demand is the lowest..and the current power grid could EASILY handle plug-in electric cars right now.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Wind power in Texas makes a lot sense, with all that "hot air" in the state.
    Saab

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC triadecho's Avatar
    Thanks

Even without wind power, the demand for electricity falls way off at night.
    If you plug in your car for a charge overnight, the power company will be glad to see you as they are loaded with excess capacity at night. Elecric cars could really help a utilities' bottom line.

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mjd1001 View Post
    It's good to get more wind power, but getting more wind farms up isn't really a big thing to help out the Volt now. As pointed out in a thread on here the other day, most people with a Volt would be charging it overnight...when power demand is the lowest..and the current power grid could EASILY handle plug-in electric cars right now.
    The point is that you could be charging your Volt on wind power. Not non-renewable energy sources, regardless of the state of the grid. It's an environmentalist's dream.

Imagine a small town in Texas near one of these wind farms where people can have their big screen TVs, cars, heat and air conditioning all coming from wind...

You can have the "American Dream" while using very little oil, coal or nuclear power. I'd say that's worth celebrating, even if there are downsides and flaws to it.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information