Sorghum quadruples ethanol per acre

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Sorghum quadruples ethanol per acre

Thanks

Sorghum quadruples ethanol per acre

Texas-sized sorghum to fuel future ethanol output

Scientists at Ceres and the Texas Agricultural Experiment Station (TAES) at Texas A&M University developed this sorghum to grow up to 20 feet tall and yield a massive amount of plant matter that the next generation of ethanol plants will convert into biofuel.

"The target is 15 to 20 tons (of sorghum biomass) per acre, depending on geography and rainfall," Hamilton said.

That type of yield could produce up to 2,000 gallons of ethanol per acre of crop, about four times the yield of an average acre of corn. Sorghum also requires less water and only about a third of the fertilizer that corn needs.

Farmers may be growing the massive sorghum as soon as 2009 or 2010 for the small number of cellulosic ethanol plants expected to be up and running on a commercial scale by then.

Farmers can use existing farm equipment, with only minor adjustments, to harvest the sorghum stalks and leaves which the biorefineries will then break down and convert into ethanol.
    Hypothetically, if all farmers growing corn switched to this crop, we would have enough ethanol to replace 20% of gasoline consumed in the U.S.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Sorghum quadruples ethanol per acre

This may be off-topic, but why are most of the investments are being put into ethanol? It has lower BTU, I heard that Butanol is a better choice.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon
    Texas-sized sorghum to fuel future ethanol output

Hypothetically, if all farmers growing corn switched to this crop, we would have enough ethanol to replace 20% of gasoline consumed in the U.S.
    Do u mean the all corn that is grown specifically for ethanol production, or all the corn grown in the country?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I have grown sweet sorghum in Colorado and Florida and that particular hybrid was VERY vigorous and undemanding. I may grow standard sorghum here (the "milo" type) to feed my chickens with and use as a mulch source. The giant switchgrass I bought earlier this year has grown by leaps and bounds in its little pot; need to step it up.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FordFan
    This may be off-topic, but why are most of the investments are being put into ethanol? It has lower BTU, I heard that Butanol is a better choice.
    Without a doubt, butanol is a better product. But for any given amount of feed stock, you will get far less butanol than ethanol. That is a molecular reality that will never change. Therefore, it always will be more expensive to make butanol.

Having said that, BP and DuPont have promised to start selling butanol in the UK in the near future. http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...-butanol_x.htm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vdoh182
    Do u mean the all corn that is grown specifically for ethanol production, or all the corn grown in the country?
    I mean grown for ethanol production. With that corn, we are producing about 6 billion gallons of ethanol, which is about 5% of our gasoline. If you get four times the ethanol per acre with sorghum, you would get 24 billion gallons of ethanol -- 20% of our gasoline.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information