Shell Report Predicts Nearly Oil-Free Transport by 2070

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shell Report Predicts Nearly Oil-Free Transport by 2070

GMI Staff Writer
    Thanks

Shell Report Predicts Nearly Oil-Free Transport by 2070

By the year 2070, passenger cars will be nearly oil free according to a new report by Shell oil.

In the report, Shell looks at the future through two different perspectives, the first it calls ĎMountainsí and the second it calls ĎOceans.í The prediction of nearly oil-free transport comes from the Mountains sides, which aims to look at the future by assuming that existing governmental and economic power structures are maintained.

Oil-free transportation will be achieved through a number of factors. First, Shell says cities will grow, helping to reduce individual travel by about 1,200 miles every year. A major shift to public transport and bicycles in urban centers will contribute to less driving.

Commercial transport will be the first to shift to natural gas fueled vehicles, while smaller delivery vehicles will go to electrification much sooner.

Even so, Shell says that the passenger transportation sector will continue to use more oil until a 2035 peak, when electrification and hydrogen power begin to turn the tide. Between 2035 and 2070, a major rollout in hydrogen infrastructure will help to offset our dependence on oil, and eventually Shell says that plug-in hybrid hydrogen powered vehicles will be the future of personal transport.
    To read more about Shell Report Predicts Nearly Oil-Free Transport by 2070 visit AutoGuide.com.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 LS1 M6

Re: Shell Report Predicts Nearly Oil-Free Transport by 2070

I'll be 118.

Thanks

I'd be 128 if this theoretical "wet dream" ever came true.

The current price of natural gas is going up and the anti-fracking lobby is always out there. The Shell report writers have apparently never traveled on the Chicago area mass transit systems. They smell like cattle cars and are less reliable or comfortable. Riding a bike in Chicago traffic is less safe than playing Russian Roulette with 3 bullets in the revolver.

This article was clearly written to support the "publish or perish" employment of some Shell scientists (a term they probably don't deserve).

We can't get one little pipeline built, much less build the infrastructure to transport the large amounts of natural gas or hydrogen needed to replace gasoline (oil).
    -
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution, so the second will not become the legalized version of the first - Thomas Jefferson
    -

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XP300 For This Useful Post:

377Z (01-23-2014),Neanderthal (01-23-2014)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 737 Posts

I'd like to see what the predictions were for now, from fifty plus years ago. I'll bet it was nothing remotely close to the reality.

Flying cars?

Nuclear powered trucks?

Commuting through glass tubes?

Time travel?

Just because Shell was dumb enough to even make this prediction, I wouldn't trust them to predict as far out as fifty minutes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainDan For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (01-23-2014)

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Horse & Cart wagons?

Cycling?

Cars are so much full of lightweight plastics these days, battery casing in EV's, tires etc there are so many oil based materials used within cars.
    OLDSMOBILE - "Start Something"

100 MPG Chevrolet Silverado E-REV - Fleets only still waiting.
    Hidden Content
    Cut the dependance on Arab oil, cut the trade deficit in foreign oil.

Life is to short - drive live your dream

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDan View Post
    I'd like to see what the predictions were for now, from fifty plus years ago. I'll bet it was nothing remotely close to the reality.

Flying cars?

Nuclear powered trucks?

Time travel?
    LOL Flying plane, wonder who will fix the 125 million US 2012 car breakdowns at 10,000 feet?

Nuclear powered trucks will be a big blast a big hit in places like Hiroshima, Fukushima & Chernobyl, 5,419,000 car crashes in US in 2010?

Would not like to be in a head on crash driving in glass tube when it hits a Silverdo HD?

Timetravel LOL last decent time travel was in 1969 to the moon, NASA shuttle has gone now can't afford the program. You won't see that again, and it won't be for average Joe American in the future?

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile stopped View Post
    LOL Flying plane, wonder who will fix the 125 million US 2012 car breakdowns at 10,000 feet?
    Flying mechanics, of course!

Nuclear powered trucks will be a big blast a big hit in places like Hiroshima, Fukushima & Chernobyl, 5,419,000 car crashes in US in 2010?
    Additional bonus! Won't need streetlights anymore. Because we would all glow!

Would not like to be in a head on crash driving in glass tube when it hits a Silverdo HD?
    You travel within a stationary tube (no vehicle). Think pneumatic tubes from the bank. They'd be bigger.

Timetravel LOL last decent time travel was in 1969 to the moon, NASA shuttle has gone now can't afford the program. You won't see that again, and it won't be for average Joe American in the future?
    That's space travel, not time travel. But, yeah! Space travel too! That's the one that we actually are getting! Space-X!

And I forgot about transporters!
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,607 Times in 4,593 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by XP300 View Post
    I'd be 128 if this theoretical "wet dream" ever came true.

The current price of natural gas is going up and the anti-fracking lobby is always out there. The Shell report writers have apparently never traveled on the Chicago area mass transit systems. They smell like cattle cars and are less reliable or comfortable. Riding a bike in Chicago traffic is less safe than playing Russian Roulette with 3 bullets in the revolver.

This article was clearly written to support the "publish or perish" employment of some Shell scientists (a term they probably don't deserve).

We can't get one little pipeline built, much less build the infrastructure to transport the large amounts of natural gas or hydrogen needed to replace gasoline (oil).
    Nicely nailing it, XP300. Off the top of my head, I'd guess this "report" LOL was written by the new mayor of New York City.

I will have to dig into my imaginary stack of 1960s Mekanixx Illustrated for the "Fitty Year From Now" articles, which I presume were written under the influence of liquid intoxicants and great mirth-making by the editorial staff. None of whom probably had PhDs to protect/promote/publish-or-perish.

I see they've discovered a new use for "peak oil" terminology. And we've already tried hydrogen-powered vehicles, the Hindenburg did not turn out so well...

But this came right out of the PC playbook. The Neanderthal playbook says Muvver Earff creates oil on a continuing basis, that the "Big Bang" is another farce dreamed up courtesy of some good bourbon, and oh gracious! evolution is a very weak hypothesis unsupported by the fossil record.

I will be slightly younger than you by 2070, and hopefully God will have ensured I MoveOndotorg from my mortal existence here well before that.

But wait! There's more! ARTIFICIAL ORGANS WILL ENSURE PEOPLE CAN LIVE FOREVER!!!
    Yes, friends, according to some randy PhDs at Shell Oil, by 2050... (to be continued)

Flying cars?

Nuclear powered trucks?

Time travel?

Just because Shell was dumb enough to even make this prediction, I wouldn't trust them to predict as far out as fifty minutes.
    I have seen numerous Flying Cars, usually during James Bond movies.

Horse & Cart wagons?

Cycling?

Cars are so much full of lightweight plastics these days, battery casing in EV's, tires etc there are so many oil based materials used within cars.
    You have to remember that Evilllll Oilllllll is VERY Politically Incorrect. Never mind that without it, it would still be 1890 and we all would have A Wonderful Life, for 40 to 45 years.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

World car production is growing 3 times faster than global oil supplies.
    In the last 10 years the world’s annual car production went up from 41 million to 63 million cars in 2012, or 52%. Almost 2/3 of this growth came from China. However, in the same period, global liquid supplies went up only 16%, an obvious mismatch.
    LINK

As oil becomes more harder to find, more costly to harder pull up out of the ground it will hit things like the truck sales that keep Ford, GM & Fiat's Ram afloat alive with huge profits. Can see trouble for those that don't have a Plan B. As the last big $148 oil price spike nearly finished off GM & Fiat went bust, and Ford remortgaged the house and sold off its family silver, that was only a minor blip to what l think we will experience in the future now with China & India sipping into more and more of the worlds oil supply in greater numbers every year.

Are we on Hubbert's scary big dipper ride, Shell are bit late but who knows what will happen?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 01-23-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

Are we on Hubbert's scary big dipper ride, Shell are bit late but who knows what will happen?
    ****! I wonder if my municipality will permit me to bury a storage tank in my backyard so that I can stockpile today's cheap fuel for the future. Hoard, hoard, HOARD!
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

Thanks
    My Ride

Predicting oil, or auto, production out to 2080 is a shot in the dark on a good day.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Predicting oil, or auto, production out to 2080 is a shot in the dark on a good day.
    I'm in the business of finding oil and I'm not really too concerned with the future of exploration and production. On an international level (I work primarily on projects outside of North America) exploration is actually moving at a very brisk rate and exciting discoveries are being made frequently. There are more and more companies coming to the table which are interesting in pursuing higher risk plays which have potential for high volumes of oil. These plays have been overlooked for a long time in many oil basins around the world because the plays are not as well understood. There will be a lot of large discoveries in the next 20 years as exploration shifts focus. My prediction for production forecasts or curves is more plateau shaped as opposed to a rapid drop off. Basically, global production should be plateauing near the current levels and will remain at these levels for the medium term.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC Madison's Avatar
    Thanks

You travel within a stationary tube (no vehicle). Think pneumatic tubes from the bank. They'd be bigger.
    Elon Musk, is that you?

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    I'm in the business of finding oil and I'm not really too concerned with the future of exploration and production. On an international level (I work primarily on projects outside of North America) exploration is actually moving at a very brisk rate and exciting discoveries are being made frequently. There are more and more companies coming to the table which are interesting in pursuing higher risk plays which have potential for high volumes of oil. These plays have been overlooked for a long time in many oil basins around the world because the plays are not as well understood. There will be a lot of large discoveries in the next 20 years as exploration shifts focus. My prediction for production forecasts or curves is more plateau shaped as opposed to a rapid drop off. Basically, global production should be plateauing near the current levels and will remain at these levels for the medium term.
    Thanks for the excellent post, calgary. I don't look for oil like you do--ever since Uncle Jed faahred his shotgun into the ground, that is--but I've observed enough folly among the self-appointed geniuses of the world to smell DS (dogs***) when it's on my boots like it was today.

And while vehicle numbers increase, individual MPG also increases so scratching some "It's A Disaster!" lines on a chart 70 years out is about as meaningless as basing your life on what your Long Island Psychic tells you to do in 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post
    Elon Musk, is that you?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

Thanks

Nicely nailing it, XP300. Off the top of my head, I'd guess this "report" LOL was written by the new mayor of New York City.
    I'd say the mayor of Toronto.

..... And we've already tried hydrogen-powered vehicles, the Hindenburg did not turn out so well.......
    The Hindenburg was Diesel powered.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainDan For This Useful Post:

johnstarnes (01-25-2014)

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information