San Francisco to install 80 electric car charging stations

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco to install 80 electric car charging stations

Thanks
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 2,107 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

San Francisco to install 80 electric car charging stations

SF to install 80 electric car charging stations

San Francisco will install more than 80 free charging stations for electric vehicles by the end of the year, as part of City Hall's eco-friendly resolve to reduce air pollution.

Monday's announcement by Mayor Ed Lee came as the average price for a gallon of gas in San Francisco hit the $4.32 mark - $1.09 higher than a year ago, according to data tracked by the AAA auto club. That's a dramatic price escalation expected to drive the public's appetite for more fuel-efficient cars.

At the same time, city officials are intent on reducing greenhouse gas emissions and are hoping the anticipated growth of electric car ownership will help achieve that goal.

The charging stations, both new ones and upgrades of the handful of existing ones, will be located around town at city-owned garages and at San Francisco International Airport. Officials also want to locate several at neighborhood libraries - not amid the stacks but outside. Which branches will get them has not been decided.

The city plans to install the first ones next month.

Drivers will not have to pay to charge their electric vehicles at the public stations, at least through 2013. However, they still have to pay the regular parking fees in the garages while their cars are plugged in there.

The source of the power: San Francisco's own hydroelectric Hetch Hetchy system.

The charging stations will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.

"The city's goal is to make it affordable and convenient for all San Francisco residents and visitors to charge their electric vehicles when they are away from their home charging stations," Lee said.

The cost of the program will be in the $500,000 range, said Bob Hayden, transportation programs manager for the city's Department on the Environment. The bulk of funding will come from federal grants, the regional air district, the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission and the airport, said Johanna Partin, the mayor's director of climate protection initiatives.

Many of the stations will offer both 120-volt and 240-volt charging. The higher the voltage, the faster a car can charge. But even with 240 volts, it can take six to eight hours to fully charge a car.

The city may experiment with a handful of 480-volt chargers, which can power a compatible electric car to 80 percent capacity in less than a half-hour.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1LzUrSzMl
    Last edited by mgescuro; 05-10-2011 at 06:26 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Re: San Francisco to install 80 electric car charging stations

"The source of the power: San Francisco's own hydroelectric Hetch Hetchy system."

How green sounding and yet how incorrect. Hetch Hetchy is 180 miles away in the Sierra Nevada. The real source of power is natural gas power stations in and around San Francisco, but that doesn't sound so green.

I used to live in the SF Bay Area. SF is the most car hostile places in the entire Bay Area. Endless traffic if you just want to get through the city (especially north/south), PITA parking, horrible roads, etc. Throwing $500 down this hole is proof that SF is still run by loonies.

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by usa1 View Post
    "The source of the power: San Francisco's own hydroelectric Hetch Hetchy system."

How green sounding and yet how incorrect. Hetch Hetchy is 180 miles away in the Sierra Nevada. The real source of power is natural gas power stations in and around San Francisco, but that doesn't sound so green.

I used to live in the SF Bay Area. SF is the most car hostile places in the entire Bay Area. Endless traffic if you just want to get through the city (especially north/south), PITA parking, horrible roads, etc. Throwing $500 down this hole is proof that SF is still run by loonies.
    You're kidding me right??

The Hetch Hetchy Power system has provided hydro-power to San Francisco municipal projects and infrastructure since 1913!!!!

So, San Francisco municipal buildings, airport, and the entire electrified public transit system is 100% green and powered by Hetch Hetchy. This is not part of the PG&E power grid, which is natural gas and nuclear.

http://sfwater.org/Dept.cfm/MC_ID/18...D/134/MO_ID/20

Oh yeah, Hetch Hetchy also provides San Francisco with the cleanest drinking water of any major city in the US.
    Last edited by mgescuro; 05-11-2011 at 12:46 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 1.21 giggawatts's Avatar
    Thanks

how safe is it to charge with 480 volt chargers? overall i am very excited about the charging stations being set up.
    strange things are afoot at the circle k.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    The Hetch Hetchy Power system has provided hydro-power to San Francisco municipal projects and infrastructure since 1913!!!!
    But at what expense?

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    But at what expense?
    I think there's an act of congress or something like that, that allows San Francisco to maintain the system for CHEAP.
    I'll have to dig that up.

But I know the enviros want to take down teh system. Ah well.
    Last edited by mgescuro; 05-11-2011 at 01:12 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

But I know the enviros want to take down teh system. Ah well.
    Yeah, it's sort of ironic that San Francisco gets its water and power from a dam that flooded a valley once regarded as Yosemite's twin.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC JonathanRohr's Avatar
    Thanks

I always thought a great idea to encourage use would be to have parking meters with outlets:

If you have a gas car, you pay your 50 cents an hour to park.

If you have an electric, you can drop X amount of money to it, and it will feed out X amount of electricity, while not charging you for the right to park.

The plus about this is that as electric cars become more common, you can take away the "reward" parking-freebie, but still have charging stations. Or municipalities could just surcharge the electricity a few percent to pay for the meter/charging station.
    1988 Ford Taurus - Dead at 342,683
    2000 Pontiac Firebird - Totaled by a drunk driver at 203,501
    2008 Ford Focus - 37,540 and counting

Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,070 Times in 3,419 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Novak454 View Post

By the way, I thought routine use of these quick chargers destroys the batteries and voids the warranty?
    With Nissan, you are never sure what your warranty is.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

i would like to see some charging stations around my area.
    Hidden Content

-JD

My Rides
    -2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II 4WD 5.7L V8, with Selec-Terrain and Quadra-Lift in 'Blackberry Pearl'
    -2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 hardtop in "Deep Water Blue Pearl"

Project Car: 1969 Javelin SST 290

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

They would be far better off with 80 radiation detectors but you know how they roll - always looking ahead - or behind rather than at what is immediately in front of them.

Like -

Last domestic car dealership in S.F. closes

Andrew S. Ross

Tuesday, May 10, 2011
    Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1M3xaBn3R

Another win for the dreamliner part deux crew.......

Oh well, at least SF will be somewhat prepared when the Prius goes plug -in.

Although of course in true SF fashion, the Volts should have priority - including the right to bump.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 05-11-2011 at 01:19 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1M3xaBn3R

Another win for the dreamliner part deux crew.......

Oh well, at least SF will be somewhat prepared when the Prius goes plug -in.

Although of course in true SF fashion, the Volts should have priority - including the right to bump.

It proves that the domestics don't make cars that we want -- smaller, more stylish, more fun to drive, more fuel efficient. It sucks, but hey, that's capitalism and competition.

Sure, you can go to the suburbs and buy a domestic car, but their dealerships are such ****holes.
    There seems to be a concerted lack of investment in domestic dealerships here. Or their designers and architects have no clue how to design a stylish dealership. But in teh mind of the GM and Ford, why bother in investing funds, when the market for domestics is so small? It's a Catch 22.

Gotta love these quotes from the article:

"When you can sell 100 imports a month as opposed to 25 domestic, and what with the rents and real estate, it's tough to make a U.S. car dealership pencil."
    -- The seven-story, 195,000-square-foot Ellis Brooks Chevrolet, by the way, is being transformed into a flagship Nissan/Infiniti dealership and "will represent one of the largest automobile retailing locations in the United States," according to Nissan North America.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    Perhaps the only noteworthy aspect of that decision is that it didn't arrive earlier. General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler have few products that have broad appeal in the San Francisco retail automotive market, for the reasons that mgescuro noted. San Francisco's initiative to install 80 electric car charging stations may be a boon for vehicles like the Chevy Volt and Ford Focus EV, but dealership principals and investors can't be expected to justify operating new car dealerships on those prospects alone.

A similar situation exists in Washington DC. There are no GM, Ford, or Chrysler new car franchise locations in the District of Columbia, and that's been the case since 2007.
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar GM-Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Impala

It proves that the domestics don't make cars that we want -- smaller, more stylish, more fun to drive, more fuel efficient.
    This is an awfully general quote. Since when does a subcompact, compact, or midsize domestic been larger and less full efficient than an import? To me this sounds like a excuse. And people who make excuses typically don't have confidence in themselves.

To a coaster or other big city individual, it is no fun to drive domestic as it has a sigma of working class, redneck, or mid-westerner. This is the same as wearing a Polo or Hunt Club shirt; the logo makes it fun and makes one fashionable. Do you want to be associated with Ralph Lauren or J.C. Penny?
    Sold:
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix (105k mi.).
    1997 Saab 900 2.0 Turbo(150k+ mi.)
    Retired:
    1987 Chevrolet Silverado 10 (retired 11/12/2007; 219,986 mi.)
    Dead:
    1983 Datsun 280 ZX by Nissan (146,857 mi.)
    1986 Lincoln Mercury Lynx (64K mi.)
    1979 Chrysler Cordoba w/ Corinthian Leather seats (130K mi.)
    1976 Dodge Charger (130K mi.)

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by GM-Joe View Post
    This is an awfully general quote. Since when does a subcompact, compact, or midsize domestic been larger and less full efficient than an import? To me this sounds like a excuse. And people who make excuses typically don't have confidence in themselves.
    It's not an excuse. It's 30+ years of domestics essentially trying to sell cars that the coastal communities don't want. Or simply don't fit the coastal communities. And it's not just the West coast, as it it also seen on the East coast!

Sure. GM and Ford make great trucks and great full sized SUV's. So what? I dare you to take your Silvy or F150 or Suburban into San Francisco or New York and navigate the tight streets or park or even enter a parking garage. These cars aren't conducive to city driving at all.

You're trying to say that the domestics actually have comparable mid-size family cars? Really? Since when? The current Malibu was dated on Day 1. And it's going to take the next-gen Malibu to align it to where Accord, Camry, Altima, Legacy, Passat was 5 years ago!!

Compact cars? Since when have the domestics actually made a competitive compact? Or even a SUB-compact? It doesn't exist. And it hasn't existed until late last year with Cruze. And Cruze is going up against an establishment and familiarity that will take a decade to bring down. Plus it isn't proven that Cruze will be as durable as the Civics and Corollas have been for decades. And even if they aren't as bulletproof today, the perception is still there!

I'm not making ANY excuses. It seems to me that you are perpetuating the continued spin job that GM and Ford have spun all these years.

Fact of the matter is, GM and Ford have all but abandoned the coastal markets. They don't make the cars that interest the coasts. And it's going to take significant time to rebuild the trust and reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by GM-Joe View Post
    To a coaster or other big city individual, it is no fun to drive domestic as it has a sigma of working class, redneck, or mid-westerner. This is the same as wearing a Polo or Hunt Club shirt; the logo makes it fun and makes one fashionable. Do you want to be associated with Ralph Lauren or J.C. Penny?
    You point directly to the image problem that GM and Ford have. They need to fix it. It is generally an unsophisticated image, that is closer to one of a rental company, with few exceptions.

I think a lot of it has to do with the deliberate disintegration of the individual brand's essence and image by Wagoner -- when he decided to add the stupid GM chicklets on the side of the cars. And now it's in horrible shape.

BTW, Polo is a nice, go to brand. But there are far better and far trendier -- even higher Polo brand levels too.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information