Q1: Ethanol production up 37%; 8 billion gallons for 2008?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Q1: Ethanol production up 37%; 8 billion gallons for 2008?

Thanks

Q1: Ethanol production up 37%; 8 billion gallons for 2008?

Ethanol Production up 37% in Q1 2008

DENVER--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BENTEK Energy, LLC, estimates that the United States’ ethanol plant fleet has produced 1.9 billion gallons of ethanol through the first quarter of 2008. This outpaces last year’s production in the first quarter by 517 million gallons, or nearly 37%. Average daily production through the first quarter of 2008 was approximately 21.4 million gallons per day, which compares to an average of 15.6 million gallons per day in the first quarter 2007 and an average of 17.8 million gallons per day for all of 2007.
    8 billion gallons would replace 5.6% of the gasoline used in the U.S. in 2007.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: Q1: Ethanol production up 37%; 8 billion gallons for 2008?

Ethanol production is getting to the point where its starting to take a serious chunk out of the US fossil fuel use.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Now just need to convert those tractors that harvest and the trucks that transport before people stop bitching. Or grow something more efficient.

I wonder if we will ever get to E100, now on a proper engine that's Diesel power.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMCSonoma View Post
    Many use diesel fuel....and there is biodiesel out there...offroad stuff too.

http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/faqs/

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...lfuelingsites/
    I guess my point was having these places being self contained. If I have to grow corn, ship it to a refinery and have them ship it back to me as fuel thats wasteful. Of course like you pointed out, different fuels and different crops.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Thunder View Post
    I guess my point was having these places being self contained. If I have to grow corn, ship it to a refinery and have them ship it back to me as fuel thats wasteful. Of course like you pointed out, different fuels and different crops.
    It is relatively easy for farmers to grow soy beans or sunflowers, press them to get the oil, and convert the oil to biodiesel. The farmer could operate all of his machinery with this homemade biodiesel.

Here is an example:
    Doye is not ready to get all political for the moment. The Lawton-area farmer is simply happy that he can crush his sunflower seeds, then mix the oil with methane and a chemical catalyst to produce something that powers his tractors across his fields.

"I feel by making my own fuel I'm writing a check to myself instead of the oil companies," Doye said. "It saves me money."

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2002 Caddy's Avatar
    Thanks

My Admin Support's husband drives all of his Benz Diesels on grease that he collects from a local Greek restaurant. Cooks it up in his garage.

When she drives out of the parking garage at work the whole place smell like calamari.

You'd be amazed what they can make biodiesel out of. There are plants in Sweden that make biodiesel out of the "biosolids" that they collect from the local waste water treatment plant...

FYI Non engineers refer to "biosolids" as Poo.

If I were the prez, rather then give everyone a useless $600, and spend billions buying out bad mortgages... I would buy up all of the property devastated in New Orleans and plant sugar cane.
    Proposed Cadillac Tag Lines...
    GM's "Back to the Future" Division,
    GM's Deja Vu Division,
    Cadillac is Truck.
    Cadillac is Cadence!
    Cadillac, you have to crawl before you walk,
    Cadillac V8? Whats a V8?
    Cadillac, the potential of mixed feelings!
    The New Cadillac Flagship: The Chevy Corvette.
    Proposed Volt Tag Line..
    People who don't like the Volt haven't driven one, and
    People who hate the Volt listen to too much talk radio.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 Caddy View Post
    I would buy up all of the property devastated in New Orleans and plant sugar cane.
    Which, ironically, is about the one thing you cannot make biodiesel from. You can make it from anything that has fat/oil/lipids in it. Cane sugar is almost pure glucose.

Nonetheless, that still would be a good idea. I do not understand why someone is not making ethanol from sugar in the U.S.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC pistolpete51688's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 Caddy View Post

When she drives out of the parking garage at work the whole place smell like calamari.

You'd be amazed what they can make biodiesel out of. There are plants in Sweden that make biodiesel out of the "biosolids" that they collect from the local waste water treatment plant...

FYI Non engineers refer to "biosolids" as Poo.
    i wonder if sweedish parking garages smell like poo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon View Post
    Ethanol Production up 37% in Q1 2008

8 billion gallons would replace 5.6% of the gasoline used in the U.S. in 2007.
    I'm not sure how true that really is. Most research I have done shows real world results with E10 result in a 10-15% drop in fuel economy-meaning you still burn as much gasoline as ever to cover the same distance, with the added impact of the ethanol consumed.

Does anyone have any links to formal comparisons between fuel economy with "straight" gas and E10? I notice big variations between fuel from different stations in my area, but they don't mark which ones are selling E10. The only "study" I found was sponsored by one of the ethanol industry players, I doubt that it is exactly unbiased.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brianidaho View Post
    I'm not sure how true that really is. Most research I have done shows real world results with E10 result in a 10-15% drop in fuel economy-meaning you still burn as much gasoline as ever to cover the same distance, with the added impact of the ethanol consumed.

Does anyone have any links to formal comparisons between fuel economy with "straight" gas and E10? I notice big variations between fuel from different stations in my area, but they don't mark which ones are selling E10. The only "study" I found was sponsored by one of the ethanol industry players, I doubt that it is exactly unbiased.
    I don't see that, E-10 and E-0 I get similar mileage. enough where it's within my margin of error for example I get between 24-26mpg so the diffrence is small enough that I can't measure it. now when I run on E70 and up I get 19mpg which there is a small diminishing returns. if I blend some E85 and Some E10 "regular" I can get 22 mpg and break even since I save some money I'd normally spend on super. (My car knocks on 89 or less)
    Trekiller Enterprises, Private track and classroom instruction, Car rental and setup. Motorsports Logistics.

get more info
    Hidden Content

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

8 billion gallons! Wow, that's a whole lot of ethanol. I'm glad to see it being produced in such large quanties. Growing fuel, imagine that; and right here in the US too! Hopefully it all gets bought and there will be demand for more.

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brianidaho View Post

Ethanol contains about 32% less energy than gasoline. Therefore, E10 contains about 3.2% less energy than pure gasoline. However, stations in many states have labels on their pumps that say the gasoline may contain "up to" 10%, when, in fact, it contains less. If you are getting 15% less mileage using E10, it has nothing to do with the ethanol.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information